Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Downpipes

Reactions
Anyone have first hand experience with catted downpipes?

I'm not finding much feedback on these, what kind of numbers are tuners getting with these paired to a borla exhaust?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Reactions
Following because I have them on order

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Nice!
Let me know how the fitment is when you get them
I'm not worried about warranty, since I'm not going to go with a super aggressive tune

Reactions
Yes, tuning wise I'm seeing good gains with downpipes. The st seems to be picking up 3-4 lbm/ min of air flow, which is consistent with 20-30hp. Of course you'll only see the gains of you are pushing the limits of the turbos. Even if you are not pushing them to the max it will still help efficiency and heat. You'll be able to make a little more power on a same boost level.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I'm not looking for a really aggressive tune, but what's the next weakest link if I wanted to go with a moderate tune?

Fuel system?

Reactions
I'm not looking for a really aggressive tune, but what's the next weakest link if I wanted to go with a moderate tune?

Fuel system?

Intercooler is the number 1 issue.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Good stuff
I'll probably only do exhaust, downpipes, intercooler

Unfortunately we have crappy fuel in Canada, 94 isn't readily available outside of the city, so I'll have to settle with a 91 tune.

Reactions
Did anyone run downpipe and borla exhaust without a tune? Any CEL ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Ok so after 2 days of driving with the Downpipes installed (with Borla S-Type exhaust)... when cruising at 55-75mph anywhere between 6th and 10th gear and just barely stepping on the gas to maintain speed or uphill acceleration (below 2500 RPM's) sounds like the whole exhaust system is going to rattle off! And also sounds like a squeaky cricket noise coming from the flex pipe at low RPM

Anyone else experiencing this??? It was already doing it slightly with just the exhaust (no downpipes)...but now it's substantial with the High Flow Cats on there. (*Also happens on a cold start)

If you give it enough throttle in 6th or enough to downshift to 5th and get above 2500 RPM...it goes away and sounds sweet AF...But this can't be right.

Has to be something you can do to dampen that low RPM vibration to the entire exhaust system.

Any feedback is appreciated...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Ok so after 2 days of driving with the Downpipes installed (with Borla S-Type exhaust)... when cruising at 55-75mph anywhere between 6th and 10th gear and just barely stepping on the gas to maintain speed or uphill acceleration (below 2500 RPM's) sounds like the whole exhaust system is going to rattle off! And also sounds like a squeaky cricket noise coming from the flex pipe at low RPM

Anyone else experiencing this??? It was already doing it slightly with just the exhaust (no downpipes)...but now it's substantial with the High Flow Cats on there. (*Also happens on a cold start)

If you give it enough throttle in 6th or enough to downshift to 5th and get above 2500 RPM...it goes away and sounds sweet AF...But this can't be right.

Has to be something you can do to dampen that low RPM vibration to the entire exhaust system.

Any feedback is appreciated...

Thanks for the heads up sorry I can’t even give any feedback due to still I didn’t get my downpipes as yet, praying you get to the bottom of it though! Also if u don’t mind making a cold start video as well to identify the noise as well

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Sounds like it’s time to go through the exhaust end to end looking for loose connections, things that are touching and make sure the bellows in the expansion joints aren’t split anywhere. Also look for things that are close to touching since the exhaust will grow in length as it heats up.

Reactions
Sounds like it’s time to go through the exhaust end to end looking for loose connections, things that are touching and make sure the bellows in the expansion joints aren’t split anywhere. Also look for things that are close to touching since the exhaust will grow in length as it heats up.
Thanks man, I know you did yours yourself so are completely familiar with it. If yours doesn't make any noise like that... It definitely needs to be looked at again.

@UNBROKEN what tune do you have on yours?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I haven’t done mine yet...no time. I’ve done countless exhaust systems though and the process is the same.
I’m running a ZFG 93 tune...no plans to run ethanol.

Reactions
I haven’t done mine yet...no time. I’ve done countless exhaust systems though and the process is the same.
Likewise, same Tune and No ethanol plans either. I do still need to do a 4th gear pull with Adam now that the Downpipes are on...but I don't think that would completely eradicate the noise/vibration, right?

Reactions
Any idea roughly how much power you are putting down with the tune

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Not really. If I know the weight I could use a calculator to get close but I haven’t weighed it.

Reactions
PSA FOR EXHAUST RATTLE

For anyone experiencing exhaust rattle - NHTSA TSB # 10179152.

Ford service (should) take care of it OR for the DIY Guy... A 90mm 3.5" Worm Gear Clamp tightened to 2.7 NM on each Flex Pipe.

(After Market Exhaust & SPD Downpipes exacerbate the rattle and make it completely unbearable)

** Footnote for all Borla Exhaust owners (and potential owners) there are 2 points of contact above each muffler; a bolt and screw that can be baffled by measuring and then (drilling and mitering to cover) an inexpensive exhaust bushing and using a silicone adhesive to mount over the screw and bolt.
(Example)
https://shop.namelessperformance.com/exhaust-hanger-bushings/?sku=NPBU

*Or another fix is to dent the top of the muffler with a hammer so it doesn't hit/rub against the bolts... but whatever you're comfortable with.

Reactions
PSA FOR EXHAUST RATTLE

Ford service (should) take care of it OR for the DIY Guy... A 90mm 3.5" Worm Gear Clamp tightened to 2.7 NM on each Flex Pipe.

(After Market Exhaust & SPD Downpipes exacerbate the rattle and make it completely unbearable)

** Footnote for all Borla Exhaust owners (and potential owners) there are 2 points of contact above each muffler; a bolt and screw that can be baffled by measuring and then (drilling and mitering to cover) an inexpensive exhaust bushing and using a silicone adhesive to mount over the screw and bolt.
(Example)

*Or another fix is to dent the top of the muffler with a hammer so it doesn't hit/rub against the bolts... but whatever you're comfortable with.

Good to know ! My downpipes come this week was debating on going to get an oil change before installation or the day after. Maybe even see if the dealer can perform the tsb even though I don’t have the rattle before installing the downpipes

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
PSA FOR EXHAUST RATTLE

(Example)

I just cut the bolts above the muffler off with a dremel tool when I installed my Borla. No noise at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions
That's another quick and clean way...