Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Did you purchase a GAP insurance policy?

Reactions
Hello everyone! Just picked up my ST last week and debating if I should get GAP insurance. Anyone else purchase this?

Jules

Reactions
I thought it came as part of my Ford lease

Reactions
Depends on how much you put down I would say.

Reactions
Yes. I always purchase the GAP insurance. Not that much for peace of mind.

OHST

Reactions
I didn't

Reactions
I Plan On leasing a St in the Future what kind of lease payments are you guys looking at and how much are you guys putting down?

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
I always suggest buying it. With as much as cars depreciate, it's a no-brainer.

With that being said, I wasn't able to get it because USAA stopped selling GAP to active duty military members. I wasn't super happy about that when I found out.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I always suggest buying it. With as much as cars depreciate, it's a no-brainer.

With that being said, I wasn't able to get it because USAA stopped selling GAP to active duty military members. I wasn't super happy about that when I found out.
My loan is through USAA...do they sell gap insurance to non-active duty military? I mean, I can call them but thought I'd ask.

UPDATE: USAA doesn't sell GAP insurance, but sells something that has a monthly charge (~$9) for 20% more of the vehicle's worth to buy another one should the car be totaled. Thought I'd share.

Last edited:
Reactions
I had it for $4/month through progressive, and just used it... worth it in my opinion!

Reactions
yes, since I put 0$ down. it was 699$ and covers being upside down upto 150%

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
No, didn't even consider it. Even the Finance person told me I didn't need it with the deals they are giving on the 2020's. I may also refinance with State Farm as I have done with my previous Explorers as they have great rates and include GAP insurance at no cost.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
100% Yes. It would be stupid not to. Especially in these days of 0% 72 month loans, you won't be above water on this truck for at least 3 years.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Update: This thread reminded me to get "gap insurance" at USAA. ~$8/month for 20% over the price covered by regular insurance (or something like that...it's their version of gap insurance).

Thank for the reminder!

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
100% Yes. It would be stupid not to. Especially in these days of 0% 72 month loans, you won't be above water on this truck for at least 3 years.
0% interest would not be the deciding factor on whether or not to purchase GAP insurance. You have to look at what your loan amount is compared to what your vehicle is worth. GAP is worthless if you don't owe more than it is worth.

Reactions
1608568732642.png

In Canada I believe it's called "limited depreciation insurance". Never a bad thing to get for a new car.