Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Custom 3” Downpipes & Exhaust

F=MA

Reactions
So can anyone sum up the cost for this 3" downpipes & 3" inch exhaust system? My guess is it's hitting the $4,000 range with all the labor included.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I think that’s a fair ballpark guess.

PhilST

Reactions
4k it better be adding 200hp.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
So can anyone sum up the cost for this 3" downpipes & 3" inch exhaust system? My guess is it's hitting the $4,000 range with all the labor included.
I think I had about $16-1800 in parts...I did my own labor.

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Thanks! This shop is just the fabricator and one other person. He has already taken a few orders from people on here who contacted him directly for custom downpipes and I believe 1 or 2 so far for a full setup. I would definitely reach out to him if you're interested. I know he would chat with you and see what you could work out. Brett@fenfabrication.com
Awesome! Thanks for the info. If he's willing to ship, Im willing to buy that quality.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I swapped mufflers today....total lateral move. Same tone, volume and drone frequency and the Magnaflows before the 1/4 wave resonators. mine is still 187hz...not sure why yours was so much lower. Minor differences in parts make a big difference I guess.

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #109
All done and drone GONE. So happy. Our target frequency was 100hz which I was getting at 2000 rpms. This calculates to a 33.72” chamber. After driving around and examining areas with drone and also to account for variables such as exhaust temperature, design etc my shop designed an adjustable helmholtz resonator that can adjust from 30” to 42”. The main tube size is 2.5” with a 2 3/8” tube slipped inside (12” long) and clamped to stay in place.

We spent a lot of time changing the length then driving around and seeing the impact. It seems to kill drone within a roughly 500 rpm range and we ended up at 32” which kills 1900 to 2400 rpms.

Did a great job tucking them up and hiding them behind the rear bumper too so it doesn’t impact the good looks of the setup.

I hear nothing but road noise now at normal cruising speeds around town and highway but still sounds so mean under acceleration. Now this is done I’ll work on getting sound clips.

Last edited:
OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #110
I swapped mufflers today....total lateral move. Same tone, volume and drone frequency and the Magnaflows before the 1/4 wave resonators. mine is still 187hz...not sure why yours was so much lower. Minor differences in parts make a big difference I guess.
Hmm weird surprised even the tone is the same. Well you don’t know until you try!! Are you going to return them and put the Magnaflow back on? Your drone is gone so you’re all good anyways right? You were just experimenting.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Hmm weird surprised even the tone is the same. Well you don’t know until you try!! Are you going to return them and put the Magnaflow back on? Your drone is gone so you’re all good anyways right? You were just experimenting.
I’ll just keep these and add some more 1/4 waves when I have time.

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #112
Not bad for a stock 5.5 second explorer on 93 octane with roads at 21°F on 275 width winter tires

125F78C9-5558-4EB8-96E7-50159D2A700D.jpeg

Last edited:

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Not bad at all. Are your only mods the 3" downpipes/exhaust setup?

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #114
Not bad at all. Are your only mods the 3" downpipes/exhaust setup?
zfg 93 tune, whipple intercooler, and downpipes/exhaust. My 0-60 was about 5.4 stock, 4.3 with tune and IC and 3.9 with everything including revised tune. I’m also getting better at launching so I could have had better times before I’m sure. I also got this 3.91 in not great conditions.

Reactions
zfg 93 tune, whipple intercooler, and downpipes/exhaust. My 0-60 was about 5.4 stock, 4.3 with tune and IC and 3.9 with everything including revised tune. I’m also getting better at launching so I could have had better times before I’m sure. I also got this 3.91 in not great conditions.
Videos? Sounds?

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #116
Sorry it’s been 20° here and I moved during COVID so have limited friends and none that appreciate cars so no friends to help video. I’ll try to do it soon. Here’s a quick cold start/warm up.

Kruppa Cold Start

Reactions
Sorry it’s been 20° here and I moved during COVID so have limited friends and none that appreciate cars so no friends to help video. I’ll try to do it soon. Here’s a quick cold start/warm up.

Kruppa Cold Start
I know, you live 45 mins away from me lol..

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sounds good!

Reactions

Kruppa Cold Start
I'm a friend... I'm just in commerce twp... lol