Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Converting crossmember from 1 bolt to 2

OP
C

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #41
I'm not gonna lie, I feel a newfound confidence in my Explorer, legit or not:D
Even if it is only psychological, I'll take it! I feel better now about all the bruises on my body. Been on blood thinners for a few years and I always take a beating doing car work.

Reactions
Great work, that is a heck of a job!

If I do it, I’m spending the money on the timberline diff and doing it at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #43
Great work, that is a heck of a job!

If I do it, I’m spending the money on the timberline diff and doing it at the same time.

Thanks. The more I think about it, if you had a wrenching buddy that you can feed beers to, the job would not be nearly as difficult. I like the idea of the Torsen, I would rather have a posi than let the computer apply the brake to get traction on the other wheel. If you are considering that I would wait as well. Probably a couple hours of work to get the driveshaft and halfshafts out. It would be 2 minutes with everything out.

Reactions
Thanks. The more I think about it, if you had a wrenching buddy that you can feed beers to, the job would not be nearly as difficult. I like the idea of the Torsen, I would rather have a posi than let the computer apply the brake to get traction on the other wheel. If you are considering that I would wait as well. Probably a couple hours of work to get the driveshaft and halfshafts out. It would be 2 minutes with everything out.
It’s certainly a heck of a task, but I feel confident enough that I can do it. I’ve swapped the motor myself in my Eco 150 and also pulled, rebuilt and re-installed the trans myself. Basically I’ve removed almost the entire drivetrain at one point or another, lol.

I’m gonna see how things around this cluster play out with Ford and make a decision one way or the other next summer.

OP
C

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #45
It’s certainly a heck of a task, but I feel confident enough that I can do it. I’ve swapped the motor myself in my Eco 150 and also pulled, rebuilt and re-installed the trans myself. Basically I’ve removed almost the entire drivetrain at one point or another, lol.

I’m gonna see how things around this cluster play out with Ford and make a decision one way or the other next summer.

Given your experience I say no problem. Just take your time and stay organized. I always take lots of pics before i start taking things apart.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
In the past I've wrenched on everything from motorcycles to class 8 big rigs. So tackling the rear subframe would be a walk in the park for me if I had a lift. Thinking about it, probably the most efficient way to change it out would be, drop the exhaust, drop the center carrier bearing on the driveshaft, but leave the driveshaft connected on both ends, pull the calipers and hang out of the way, remove rear shocks, disconnect LCA's, unbolt center housing, lower whole assembly to clear subframe, unbolt and remove subframe, slide new subframe into place and reassemble.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Just found this post last night, great writeup, lots of details. And definitely makes sure i won't be attempting to do this myself haha :) I'm a tinkerer yes, but doing this on my own daily driver.. Noooo thanks!

Kudos to you!

Would you perhaps have a picture of the Ford label with partnumber of the crossmember?

I've been looking into finding one in Europe. Prices for a crossmember from a wrecked car have gone up to 3500 euro :S

OP
C

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #48
Just found this post last night, great writeup, lots of details. And definitely makes sure i won't be attempting to do this myself haha :) I'm a tinkerer yes, but doing this on my own daily driver.. Noooo thanks!

Kudos to you!

Would you perhaps have a picture of the Ford label with partnumber of the crossmember?

I've been looking into finding one in Europe. Prices for a crossmember from a wrecked car have gone up to 3500 euro :S
Do you need a pic or the part number I bought?

On a golf trip but will check in a few days.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST, Rapid Red; 2020 and 2022 STs
WOW! My compliments to U sir for your mechanicing ability.. I have a mechanic-friend who could do this but for breathing difficulties due to a bad case of Covid.. He and I will be replacing springs and installing big brakes and, later, the MagnaFlow cat-back exhaust system.

My additional diff support will have to be aftermarket.

Reactions
Vehicle
Do you need a pic or the part number I bought?

On a golf trip but will check in a few days.

Either one should be fine, thanks!

Enjoy your golf trip!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
OP
C

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #52
This is what folks have listed as being the correct subframe:
https://ford.oempartsonline.com/oem-parts/ford-cross-member-assembly-mb5z5035g
Part number MB5Z-5035-G

Hopefully when @Cruising68 gets back from the links, they can confirm that this is the part number they ordered.
I remember now. That was the part number but a -F. It looks like the -F was replaced with the -G. I remember doing a search on that when ordering the Steeda bushing kit.

Reactions
I’ve had the IRS assembly out of my ‘03 Cobra a couple times - similar process. One tip for anyone is to remove the half-shafts & knuckles before you drop the subframe. Saves a lot of weight and takes away the lever arm(s) that makes it way more awkward to handle as it’s being lowered, and raised back up.

Reactions
Vehicle
I remember now. That was the part number but a -F. It looks like the -F was replaced with the -G. I remember doing a search on that when ordering the Steeda bushing kit.

So the F is with the 2 bushings?

I'd appreciate it if you can doublecheck on your car or perhaps an invoice you received for the part.

OP
C

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #55
So the F is with the 2 bushings?

I'd appreciate it if you can doublecheck on your car or perhaps an invoice you received for the part.
Yes, mine is a -F with two isolators.

Cbehr

Reactions
Vehicle
23 Explorer ST & 03 Mustang Cobra
I’ve had the IRS assembly out of my ‘03 Cobra a couple times - similar process. One tip for anyone is to remove the half-shafts & knuckles before you drop the subframe. Saves a lot of weight and takes away the lever arm(s) that makes it way more awkward to handle as it’s being lowered, and raised back up.
Is that your site in your sig? Great material on there, followed a ton of advice for my 03 cobra!

Also great writeup here!