Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Consumer Report on Explorers

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Correct, my vehicle is still at the dealer as of today, I was told late last week I should have it back mid-week this week (but I've heard that before as well)
Rooting for you big time to get it back this week.(y)

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Been a while since anybody posted on this but thought I would share my story. I’ll try to keep it brief.

-I’ve owned four or five Fords in my life.
-Loved the ST ever since I saw it new in 2019. I purchased a 2020 ST, white. So excited to get it. Had every option except the headrest monitors. Took delivery at the end of August 2019. I was so jazzed to get it, the salesman took pictures as it was being unloaded off the truck. Just think it’s one of the best looking sport SUVs out there and give those costing a lot more a huge run for their money.

But…Back up cam failed on several occasions, clicking in the engine although hard to hear at times, varied with engine speed. Moonroof headliner was loose within two weeks of purchase. Couldn’t drive with the window down without hearing it. It was at the dealer for 3 1/2 weeks for that. Drivers window won’t roll up and then roll down all by itself. There were other small nuisance items, but then on September 20, 2021 as I was coming back home from grabbing coffee just down the street, the clicking turned into not clicking anymore. It was very loud sounded like I needed to stop. Luckily I was just pulling into my driveway and coasted into the garage.

To make a long story slightly longer, I had the vehicle towed to a dealer a couple days later. I finally got my ST back in April 2022. I did file a complaint with Ford and was really persistent. Eventually they agreed to do a buyback. So… I just got notification that my 2022 ST Will be arriving in the first couple weeks of July and it just meant to shipped status in order track.

As frustrated as I was at having 14,000 miles on it when the engine blew, the experience with Ford corporate on so many occasions, the original dealer that I bought it from and just the whole experience overall i’m really looking forward to getting my 22 ST. I broke my rule of never buying a vehicle the first year of a big change.

So even after all that, and assuming Ford does what they say… I’m going to go back again. Hopefully not a glutton for punishment!

So much for brief

Reactions
Been a while since anybody posted on this but thought I would share my story. I’ll try to keep it brief.

-I’ve owned four or five Fords in my life.
-Loved the ST ever since I saw it new in 2019. I purchased a 2020 ST, white. So excited to get it. Had every option except the headrest monitors. Took delivery at the end of August 2019. I was so jazzed to get it, the salesman took pictures as it was being unloaded off the truck. Just think it’s one of the best looking sport SUVs out there and give those costing a lot more a huge run for their money.

But…Back up cam failed on several occasions, clicking in the engine although hard to hear at times, varied with engine speed. Moonroof headliner was loose within two weeks of purchase. Couldn’t drive with the window down without hearing it. It was at the dealer for 3 1/2 weeks for that. Drivers window won’t roll up and then roll down all by itself. There were other small nuisance items, but then on September 20, 2021 as I was coming back home from grabbing coffee just down the street, the clicking turned into not clicking anymore. It was very loud sounded like I needed to stop. Luckily I was just pulling into my driveway and coasted into the garage.

To make a long story slightly longer, I had the vehicle towed to a dealer a couple days later. I finally got my ST back in April 2022. I did file a complaint with Ford and was really persistent. Eventually they agreed to do a buyback. So… I just got notification that my 2022 ST Will be arriving in the first couple weeks of July and it just meant to shipped status in order track.

As frustrated as I was at having 14,000 miles on it when the engine blew, the experience with Ford corporate on so many occasions, the original dealer that I bought it from and just the whole experience overall i’m really looking forward to getting my 22 ST. I broke my rule of never buying a vehicle the first year of a big change.

So even after all that, and assuming Ford does what they say… I’m going to go back again. Hopefully not a glutton for punishment!

So much for brief
I guess it’s that way with all brands. There are mistakes made on the assembly line and will be forever. Knock on wood, my 2020 has been flawless. One of the best new cars I’ve owned. Plus, this one has the 4 bolt diff LOL! Which, BTW, I really think that problem is way overrated.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I guess it’s that way with all brands. There are mistakes made on the assembly line and will be forever. Knock on wood, my 2020 has been flawless. One of the best new cars I’ve owned. Plus, this one has the 4 bolt diff LOL! Which, BTW, I really think that problem is way overrated.
Yup, since almost day one my '22 had the rattling fuel line. Finally brought it in with just a few thousand miles on it and the parts are on the way, should be here shortly. It's suppose to be a 2 hour job as they have to drop the fuel tank to install foam blocks to hush the rattle. Oh well, haven't had any others issues to speak of.

The fact remains, the only other vehicles that even come close to the ST's performance level cost a minimum of $20,000 more.

Reactions
CR is on to something. I've been leasing Explorers continuously since 1996. I am currently on my 10th one, it's a 2020 with currently 19k miles. This one by far looks the best and is the most fun to drive. However, it has been the most problematic one I've had. Nothing major, just a lot of annoying issues (broken sunroof wind screen, ongoing inoperable rearview camera after repair, frozen vertical screen, engine sounds like a bird chirping when at idle and a few recalls. Also, it is the worst explorer I've had for use in the snow. These issues are a disappointment for a 60k plus vehicle. I have 10 months left on my lease and have decided this is my last Ford. So no, I do not recommend this vehicle, and Ford will be losing a long time customer due to their deteriorating quality and workmanship as well as their poor service at multiple locations, I never have any problems with my other two Toyota vehicles!

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
JohnE's experience refutes both CR's and your conclusion. He states his 2020 has been without issue, plus the 2021's/2022's have been reported to clear up the items reported in first year 2020's. Truth is, even some Beemers and Porsches have known problems. It's an imperfect world. My Stinger GT was a 2019 model, but they reported a number of minor issues in their first year 2018 model run. See what I mean?

So do whatever makes you happy, as will we.

Reactions
Yes FireGuy, I understand there will be minor issues. But I've had too many for the cost of this vehicle. I don't have the time, and am not expecting or willing to keep returning to the dealership for warranty issues or recalls. It is the best looking car I've had, but disappointing in a few areas. Seems to me that Ford overall may be charting the same course as GM has taken. And look where they are.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hope your next vehicle doesn't present you with similar issues. Stuff happens, sorry it happened to you.
As for FORD following GM's current state, none of us can see the future except for father time, and he ain't talking.
Good luck ...

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yup, since almost day one my '22 had the rattling fuel line. Finally brought it in with just a few thousand miles on it and the parts are on the way, should be here shortly. It's suppose to be a 2 hour job as they have to drop the fuel tank to install foam blocks to hush the rattle. Oh well, haven't had any others issues to speak of.

The fact remains, the only other vehicles that even come close to the ST's performance level cost a minimum of $20,000 more.
Is that a know fix or something? I haven’t seen anything about it and don’t believe I have the issue. Just curious cause I’d still rather them do a fix to prevent it in the future.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST