Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rattle Diagnosed: Not what you think ...

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
TSB 22-2135: Fuel line contacting body/fuel tank

I thought it was the flex pipe issue. Nope.

Parts were ordered, Recall 22S27 was completed while I was there, and the Service staff were friendly & helpful.

Two Interesting notes: 1) Fuel tank will have to be removed 2) The TSB has a very narrow window date for vehicles made between 1/25/22 and 3/10/22

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #2
Repair completed!

They kindly gave me a mainstream 22 Explorer as a loaner car (was 2 days in their shop). The first thing I noticed was it's thin steering wheel, really didn't like it at all.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Okay, not "fixed." A few days after I picked it up, I heard the same rattling again. Going back to dealer soon for another look.

We're in a heat wave, and when then temps are in the 90's I don't hear it. But as soon as it "cools" down to the 70's and 80's, the rattle comes back.

I'm thinking since heat expands metal, whatever is causing the rattle "tightens" up the offending parts and it disappears. Make sense?

Otherwise, car runs great. No issues.

Reactions
Vehicle
N/A
How did you eliminate the flex pipe as not being the cause? I know Ford was simply replacing them with the same part that would rattle again. I don't know when, but they've since revised the design which supposedly doesn't rattle.

Reactions
To be honest these things just seem to be prone to rattles and creaks from all over the vehicle, I have multiple on the inside and outside.

hbalek

Reactions
To be honest these things just seem to be prone to rattles and creaks from all over the vehicle, I have multiple on the inside and outside.
Yep I've given up on the idea of fixing any random rattles and squeaks after almost 3 years of ownership. If something breaks I get it fixed.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
How did you eliminate the flex pipe as not being the cause? I know Ford was simply replacing them with the same part that would rattle again. I don't know when, but they've since revised the design which supposedly doesn't rattle.
It wasn't me, the FORD tech pointed to the rattling fuel line TSB and didn't mention anything else as being the cause.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
UPDATE

The Service Dept was not able to duplicate the rattle. I still hear it but it's intermittent, so I can understand their difficulty in locating it.

For example: I went to the store the other day and when I parked my car the rattle was clearly evident. When I came back and started my car, the rattle was gone.

For now I can't do anything about it unless the rattle becomes constant.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
UPDATE

The Service Dept was not able to duplicate the rattle. I still hear it but it's intermittent, so I can understand their difficulty in locating it.

For example: I went to the store the other day and when I parked my car the rattle was clearly evident. When I came back and started my car, the rattle was gone.

For now I can't do anything about it unless the rattle becomes constant.
Rattles drive me crazy so I feel your pain-Been having my ST for a few months and had a rattle inside the cabin that was driving me up the wall and ended up being the damn pull up shades on the back window!

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Rattles drive me crazy so I feel your pain-Been having my ST for a few months and had a rattle inside the cabin that was driving me up the wall and ended up being the damn pull up shades on the back window!
Wow, the pull up shades. That's nuts!

This is coming from underneath the vehicle, focused below the floor of the 2nd row seats. That's what the TSB targeted, that the fuel line above the gas tank was rattling.

Either not enough foam blocks were put in to silent the rattle, or they weren't properly placed, or it's something else. Dunno ...