Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Chrome on window switches

kebowlin

Reactions
The chrome on my windows switches is already peeling at 8k miles. The driver’s and passenger side switches are peeling, even though the passenger side switch is hardly ever used. Anyone else noticed this issue?

OP
K

kebowlin

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I have tried to take a picture and it is hard to focus on. The chrome is flaking off in small chunks. You can feel it when you touch the switch.

Reactions
I can feel the edge of the chrome on the switches catching every time I go to use them. I'm at 7k and figure its only a matter of time. I was actually thinking of filing the edges down with super fine grit paper before the start to flake.

George14

Reactions
Mine are all shot as well. All 4 on the driver side have cracked/peeled off.

Blk_Ravn_ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine are doing the same at 4500 miles! WTF.... This should be a recall.

Ride1157

Reactions
Mine are doing the same thing as well. Very upsetting that this got through supplier quality. My car has 5300 miles on it and is less than 6months old.

Reactions
Wow, came on here because I recently noticed this on my driver's side controls, and couldn't believe how many others are experiencing this. Wonder how much replacement switches are...

hbalek

Reactions
At 11,000 miles, I am not experiencing this but I rarely open any of my windows when driving, so maybe that's why. I would estimate I open my driver's window no more than 5 times per week.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
its also just sometimes people's hands (different sweat composition and stuff). in a past career i worked on car interior switchgear and there have been lots of studies done (and manufacturers spend alot of time and $$$ working around the problem) about the corrosivity of people's skin. women are the worst offenders by huge margins as well. between lotions, sunscreen, and nail length they DESTROY switchgear like you wouldn't believe. in this case i wouldn't blame the users above because the issue seems pervasive, but i use my window switches every single day and they look perfect. i also park in a garage and have at minimum 50% ceramic tint on every piece of glass. temp variations and sun damage affects the issue alot. if Ford decided to cheap out on the switchgear or went with a new supplier that didn't have a good resin formula... its gonna be an issue for sure.

LT Lost

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Noticed this on my switches today and was disappointed. Any suggestions for a fix or improvement?

hbalek

Reactions
Could it be Purell causing the problem?
Hahaha! I know it caused the skin on my hands to peel last spring when I was overusing the stuff! It may have the same effect on plastic and chrome?!

Reactions
I don't have my Explorer yet but the same chrome started peeling on the parking brake switch in the Edge I have right now. That stuff was actually sharp when it was peeling as well. I had the dealership replace it under warranty.

agonzales62451

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
The chrome on my windows switches is already peeling at 8k miles. The driver’s and passenger side switches are peeling, even though the passenger side switch is hardly ever used. Anyone else noticed this issue?
Yes, 2020 Explorer ST 6k, noticed mine today dealership said they would take care of it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Have the same issue here. I didn’t notice they were peeling until my wife cut her finger on the passenger window switch. Definitely a design flaw with the switches, not just a cosmetic one
For anyone who has replaced them, how are the new ones holding up?

Attachments

Last edited:

Dphan67

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Mine started this weekend, just under 2k miles. I almost want to leave it since the replacement switch will likely do it too, but it is very rough.