Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Can't update the SYNC using a USB

Reactions
The update never finishes. I'll be driving down the road and it'll say "updating System Software" out of nowhere. Apple Car Play keeps dropping and I can't connect to the Wi-Fi any longer. Can you just order the latest update from Ford since they can't seem to have the most updated one available for download or am I going to have to take the damn thing again?

Buck Nutz

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I have never had any luck; spoke to the buddy who is a sales manager at my local dealership & he's never had any success and much more tech savy than I

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Gotta leave it running and in park until the update finishes.

Can I drive while SYNC is updating? (ford.com)
You can drive once the update starts. It's in the link you posted.

Flash drive (SYNC 3 and previous versions of SYNC): Your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the SYNC update installation process. Make sure your vehicle is in a well-ventilated area as your vehicle must remain running until the update is complete. Once the download process starts, you may drive your vehicle

Reactions
You can drive once the update starts. It's in the link you posted.

Flash drive (SYNC 3 and previous versions of SYNC): Your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the SYNC update installation process. Make sure your vehicle is in a well-ventilated area as your vehicle must remain running until the update is complete. Once the download process starts, you may drive your vehicle
I always scored incredibly poor on reading comprehension on the iowa tests of basic skills.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I always scored incredibly poor on reading comprehension on the iowa tests of basic skills.
No problem. Didn't mean to be mean, just trying to help. The way Ford wrote it can be missed pretty easy.

Reactions
No problem. Didn't mean to be mean, just trying to help. The way Ford wrote it can be missed pretty easy.
That's the second time I read it wrong. LOL! I did the update back in December and sat in it for 20 minutes just idling while it did the update.

Maybe try a different thumb drive? I had also upgraded the main system software previous to doing the sync upgrade, so maybe that could be a factor.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The last map update did take a long time. Not sure if the thumb drive would make a difference. At least gas was cheaper then. :)

Reactions
The last map update did take a long time. Not sure if the thumb drive would make a difference. At least gas was cheaper then. :)
I think my system update took a few days for it to finally finish. It took so long I gave up on it working, but the sync one went smooth as silk.

If all else fails, try disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes and try the update again.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think my system update took a few days for it to finally finish. It took so long I gave up on it working, but the sync one went smooth as silk.

If all else fails, try disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes and try the update again.
I just started downloading the new map update.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Dealer said their tech couldn't even download the update. Sync3 is shot. Covered under extended warranty. Waiting on the part.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Dealer said their tech couldn't even download the update. Sync3 is shot. Covered under extended warranty. Waiting on the part.
I downloading it to a flash drive with my computer now. Then I will be uploading it to SYNC 3 on my Explorer. Doesn't make much sense what the tech is telling you.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
I downloading it to a flash drive with my computer now. Then I will be uploading it to SYNC 3 on my Explorer. Doesn't make much sense what the tech is telling you.
The Update from HIS hard drive to my Sync3 wouldn't take. His conclusion was that if it wouldn't take from his computer (the original update file hard drive to hard drive) that the Sync3 unit is bad and it was not user error on my part.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The Update from HIS hard drive to my Sync3 wouldn't take. His conclusion was that if it wouldn't take from his computer (the original update file hard drive to hard drive) that the Sync3 unit is bad and it was not user error on my part.
Your SYNC could be bad. Hope your tech knows what he is doing.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Your SYNC could be bad. Hope your tech knows what he is doing.
The SYNC is bad. That's what the tech told me. I would assume he knows what he's doing because he's the tech employed by Ford in the Atlanta metro area.

Reactions
The SYNC is bad. That's what the tech told me. I would assume he knows what he's doing because he's the tech employed by Ford in the Atlanta metro area.
Just speaking from my own experience with dealerships... Sadly that should never be assumed these days.