Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Can't decide, ST or Platinum?

Reactions
I don’t think changing the drive mode does anything for the the suspension settings as i think it is a passive system.

Drive mode really only changes steering, throttle, transmission shifting and FENG

But one big benefit of the ST over the Platinum or other trims is when you load up the car with passengers and luggage for a road trip.

The firmer spring rates, bigger sway bars and larger brakes make a difference in those situations, especially if you drive mountain roads and use the hitch for any bikes or cargo racks.
"Optional bigger brakes". Only if you have have the Street package or "Performance" Package . Regular ST's have the same brakes as the Platinum's

Reactions
Vehicle
69 Mach 1
"Optional bigger brakes". Only if you have have the Street package or "Performance" Package . Regular ST's have the same brakes as the Platinum's
Optional yes…but the vast majority of the STs I see running around have them equipped

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I usually drive in NORMAL mode the majority of the time, then switch to SPORT mode if I need that extra oomph. But Sport mode can become tiresome after a while. On long trips where fatigue might be a factor, I'll go with ECO mode for smoother throttle response.
I use Eco Mode most of the time. Puttering back and forth to work doesn't produce any need for anything more sporty. For the same reason, I use 87 octane fuel. My fuel-cost-per-mile is around $0.16. I may have some road-trips coming up later. Those will be using 93 octane and the "normal" setting. I suspect the cost-per-mile will be equal, perhaps a smidge better. My last road trip averaged 24.4 mpg with a peak of 26.4, back when 93 was $5.40/gal. The cost-per-mile was over the top.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Recently, the only time ECO mode goes ON is when my step mother is in the ST. I can't have her teaching for the OhShit Bar on every turn.

RTM

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I usually drive in NORMAL mode the majority of the time, then switch to SPORT mode if I need that extra oomph. But Sport mode can become tiresome after a while. On long trips where fatigue might be a factor, I'll go with ECO mode for smoother throttle response.
Sport mode has that purr! Love that purr... when in traffic, I often turn it on just so the others hear it..

hbalek

Reactions
Sport mode has that purr! Love that purr... when in traffic, I often turn it on just so the others hear it..
Hate to break it to you but the engine sound in Sport Mode is piped in through the sound speakers inside aka fake engine noise. So outside it still sounds like a minivan! LOL