Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Can anyone tell me what this noise is? Has anyone else with a new ST heard it?

Ketchup34

Reactions
Crazy loud noise on cold start up.

Attachments

OP
K

Ketchup34

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Could be. I didn’t think it would that loud. It’s 2021

Reactions
That's not right. I'd take it in for a checkup. We could guess 100 different causes but in the end it's not supposed to make that sound.

Reactions
I get a rattle on my 21 at cold startup but nothing like that. I will be replacing the exhaust in the near future so not too worried about the noise.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
@Ketchup34

Sorry to say, but that is the classic Ford Ecoboost VCT position actuator rattle. Ford calls them "Cam Phasers". The problem is that the lock pin that should engage at shutdown to hold the phaser in the stopped position "doesn't" such that when you start it up, it rattles until the oil pressure builds up to hold it in position. It really isn't a "terminal" failure, but it is a big nuisance. You can mitigate it by holding the gas to the floor and crank it over several times to build oil pressure before starting. This will prevent the loud rattle at start-up, but the failed phaser won't fix itself. There is an entire thread on the topic on the Raptor forum and the F150 forum. Same problem among the various displacement V6 Ecoboost mills.

OP
K

Ketchup34

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Thanks to all for opinions and help

Reactions
Mine started doing the EXACT same thing.. Only on cold startup, and only for the 3-4 seconds.. I thought it might be flex pipes, but I just got under it.. I was hoping it wasn't oil pressure related... Mines also a 2021, with just around 10k miles.. Oil changed regulary.. First at 3k, then 8k..

OP
K

Ketchup34

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
It’s the phasers, they replaced some other parts on mine too. It only had 300 miles. A guy on thread above nailed it
I’m not a mechanic but I think the phasers hold the lifters in place until the oil pressure builds up

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Cam phasers use oil pressure to advance and retard the camshaft timing.

Reactions
Yup it's the cam phasers. I just did this to my new to me 2020

Reactions
It’s the phasers, they replaced some other parts on mine too. It only had 300 miles. A guy on thread above nailed it
I’m not a mechanic but I think the phasers hold the lifters in place until the oil pressure builds up
How long did they have your vehicle to do the phasers?

Super G

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
@Ketchup34

Sorry to say, but that is the classic Ford Ecoboost VCT position actuator rattle. Ford calls them "Cam Phasers". The problem is that the lock pin that should engage at shutdown to hold the phaser in the stopped position "doesn't" such that when you start it up, it rattles until the oil pressure builds up to hold it in position. It really isn't a "terminal" failure, but it is a big nuisance. You can mitigate it by holding the gas to the floor and crank it over several times to build oil pressure before starting. This will prevent the loud rattle at start-up, but the failed phaser won't fix itself. There is an entire thread on the topic on the Raptor forum and the F150 forum. Same problem among the various displacement V6 Ecoboost mills.
Is everyone here doing this method/procedure to mitigate the “cam phasers” issue? If so, anyone worried about their engine starter’s life being cut short? Or just doing oil changes every 5K miles should be fine?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Is everyone here doing this method/procedure to mitigate the “cam phasers” issue? If so, anyone worried about their engine starter’s life being cut short? Or just doing oil changes every 5K miles should be fine?
The starter is spec'd to run constant stop/start activity, so I wouldn't worry about that. As for the phasers, they need to be replaced if they're making the associated fail noise. The short-term workaround would be the pedal to the floor before starting, not the "fix". That said, there are several on the truck forums that have decided to just stay with it until something hard fails...

Super G

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
The starter is spec'd to run constant stop/start activity, so I wouldn't worry about that. As for the phasers, they need to be replaced if they're making the associated fail noise. The short-term workaround would be the pedal to the floor before starting, not the "fix". That said, there are several on the truck forums that have decided to just stay with it until something hard fails...
Thanks for the heads up.

Explorer ST Posts