Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bora Wheel Spacers 1.5"

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
What are your thoughts on spacers and their effect on suspension geometry? I’m thinking of 1.25-1.5”. If I were thinking of changing out the wheels, I know that going with a different offset would be better than spacers.
The wider the spacer the more exaggerated the camber will get…it’ll actually mess with all alignment settings. It would be cool if someone got alignment specs stock, installed wide spacers and got new specs.

Reactions
The wider the spacer the more exaggerated the camber will get…it’ll actually mess with all alignment settings. It would be cool if someone got alignment specs stock, installed wide spacers and got new specs.
I was always with the understanding that camber, caster and toe are not effected with spacers. Spacers essentially do the same thing as offset except for the additional leverage they put on your wheel bearings.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Wider spacers will definitely change a few things. I personally won’t recommend over a 1” spacer but I know people don’t want to trim the studs. 1” front and rear with the rear camber set at -.5° will put the front and rear wheels the same in the fenders and I’m sure everything would live a long, happy life.

Reactions
Wider spacers will definitely change a few things. I personally won’t recommend over a 1” spacer but I know people don’t want to trim the studs. 1” front and rear with the rear camber set at -.5° will put the front and rear wheels the same in the fenders and I’m sure everything would live a long, happy life.
What happens when people who did trim the studs get new rims down the line? Do they need to replace the studs for the new wheels or run them as is?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
What happens when people who did trim the studs get new rims down the line? Do they need to replace the studs for the new wheels or run them as is?
That’s not a question I would personally answer in a public forum. People are too damn litigious.
But…I’ve always gone off the 10 thread rule. If the lug makes 10 full turns before bottoming out…I’ll run it.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
That’s not a question I would personally answer in a public forum. People are too damn litigious.
But…I’ve always gone off the 10 thread rule. If the lug makes 10 full turns before bottoming out…I’ll run it.
You can also run open ended nuts and if the studs protrudes out of the top of the lug, you're golden.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You can also run open ended nuts and if the studs protrudes out of the top of the lug, you're golden.
I can’t really picture anyone running open ended lugs on any factory or aftermarket wheels. That would be pretty hideous. lol

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
True, but it is an option if you're not sure if you have enough thread engagement.

Reactions
I didn't think of that, but curious nonetheless. Makes sense though

Reactions
Spacers are suspect to begin with. Will they break? pretty unlikely....Could they break? yes. Same goes for Studs. Personally? there is 0 chance I'm cutting my studs down to begin (or use spacers for that matter) with but -0 chance I'd run cut studs on some other rim.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I can’t really picture anyone running open ended lugs on any factory or aftermarket wheels. That would be pretty hideous. lol
I have seen deeper studs on the market. Let's say from 3/4 studs to a 1.25 deep stud, would those make up the difference and allow someone not to have to trim the studs? Just wondering if that would work.....

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Finally had decent weather to install my bora spacers today. Didn't get any pics but, the factory 20's fit just fine on the front with a 1.25" spacer.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Finally had decent weather to install my bora spacers today. Didn't get any pics but, the factory 20's fit just fine on the front with a 1.25" spacer.
I'm looking for spacers in 1.25". Can you tell me what specs you went with like bore size?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Order them directly from bora, they already know what bore size you need when you specify the vehicle they are going on. The price varies depending on thickness you order. A good combo is order 1.25" front and 1.5" rear, that puts the factory 20's flush with the fender lip.

https://www.motorsport-tech.com/bora.html

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Hey all,
Maybe it's already been posted but does anyone have photos of 1.5" rear Bora spacers on their ST?
Tks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #39

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey thanks for the photos! It looks like your rear camber was like mine on a bit of an angle (15%) which is why I took mine off.
I hear this should be the case however I also heard that the ST rear camber is already on an angle so the spacers simply make it more noticeable idk.
What I did find very weird albeit Im not an expert was after having the spacers on for about 2 days, when i brought the ST back to the shop to remove them, it took the tech like 2 hours to remove them as they were literally seized. Was that due to improper install? Were the spacers made incorrectly so the didnt sit flush on the hub? idk..
1.5" looks so good Im just worried about the camber and the tires as it appears that the tire wear will be uneven and new tires will be a sure thing much quicker but hey it looks sick!

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Hey thanks for the photos! It looks like your rear camber was like mine on a bit of an angle (15%) which is why I took mine off.
I hear this should be the case however I also heard that the ST rear camber is already on an angle so the spacers simply make it more noticeable idk.
What I did find very weird albeit Im not an expert was after having the spacers on for about 2 days, when i brought the ST back to the shop to remove them, it took the tech like 2 hours to remove them as they were literally seized. Was that due to improper install? Were the spacers made incorrectly so the didnt sit flush on the hub? idk..
1.5" looks so good Im just worried about the camber and the tires as it appears that the tire wear will be uneven and new tires will be a sure thing much quicker but hey it looks sick!
My camber may look "off" because I have the suspension flexed. It's on uneven ground with right front tire compressed up and back left drooping down.
I ran the spacers all winter and they were a pain to get off. I put some small gouges in the edges of the aluminum getting them off but it's just cosmetic. No damage to the mounting side. Maybe a very thin film of anti-seize may make removal easier.