Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Blow Off Valve for the ST

KegsBdry

Reactions
So supposedly the Whoosh BOV is identical to the Boomba but I'm intrigued to hear what BOV you had on your ST that was responsible for exploding ur turbo. I'm guessing it was probably a home-made concoction of misc universal parts?
I bought the Focus ST used. It already had the BOV (not a VTA) on it. If you recall, they were located behind the front, right wheel (such an odd place, but you make do with the space you have). The BOV had no markings so it may have been a homemade concoction.

Reactions
Does anyone think someone will make an aftermarket wastegate for the ST? Turbos sound good with BOVs, but also with external wastegate flutter...it appears like ours is external, but I'm not sure.

Reactions
If I try the whoosh VTA spacer and end up getting tired of the sound can I return to stock? The screw threads that came with the spacer seem ALOT different than the stock threads???

KegsBdry

Reactions
If I try the whoosh VTA spacer and end up getting tired of the sound can I return to stock? The screw threads that came with the spacer seem ALOT different than the stock threads???
They're just longer screws for the VTA addition. I went with a VTA and love the sound. One of the reasons I went back to a vehicle with ecoboost.

If it messes anything up, keep a Phillips head screwdriver in your trunk with the original three screws. You can always put yourself back to stock on the fly before the tow. ;)

Reactions
They're just longer screws for the VTA addition. I went with a VTA and love the sound. One of the reasons I went back to a vehicle with ecoboost.

If it messes anything up, keep a Phillips head screwdriver in your trunk with the original three screws. You can always put yourself back to stock on the fly before the tow. ;)
i believe you are talking about the boomba spacer hardware. The whoosh uses hex key bolts which to me see to be a different thread??

Attachments

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
i believe you are talking about the boomba spacer hardware. The whoosh uses hex head bolts which to me see to be a different thread??
I went with a Boomba for that very reason. I wanted access on the fly without extra steps.

I had a Focus ST that's turbo blew up before. Luckily this can be removed (easily) before limping to the dealership.

Screenshot_20210515-083839.jpg

Reactions
i believe you are talking about the boomba spacer hardware. The whoosh uses hex head bolts which to me see to be a different thread??
the Whoosh does not use hex screws (ask me how I know). Also, neither spacer is very easily removed due to access issues and how difficult it was to thread the screws in to plastic. I never intend to take mine out as Im sure it wont go back in nearly as well the 2nd time.

Reactions
the Whoosh does not use hex screws (ask me how I know). Also, neither spacer is very easily removed due to access issues and how difficult it was to thread the screws in to plastic. I never intend to take mine out as Im sure it wont go back in nearly as well the 2nd time.
please explain the description right on whooshs website for this item? It says it uses hex key bolt not sure what you are using or if this is a new version. Did you even look at the pics I attached above?

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...-valve-adapter-2020-explorer-st-free-shipping

Last edited:
Reactions
Contact Ron at Whoosh and ask him. No hex
Confirmed with Ron - actual package had normal Phillips screws in it. Thanks Blaster9! Install was very straight forward. Love it!