Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Black lug nuts

Reactions
Go to summit racing for these. I just put them on , look great.

GOR-96643BDX

Explorer22ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
I just got these and installed. I can confirm they fit and look great. They stick out just a little bit, but doesnt bother me.

Do you still recommend these Gorilla lugs from eBay?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Heads up everyone; if you go with the Gorilla 96643BDX black locking lug nuts (M14x1.5 bulge) make sure you count them before starting your installation. My package (plastic wrapped, new from Amazon) only had 19 nuts [8] and I had already done three of four wheels when I realized the error.

I called Gorilla Automotive at 323-585-2852 and they said to take it up with the seller. I've bought several sets from Gorilla and McGard over the years and this is a first.
I'd think Amazon would be the one to make good on this.

JBStrums

Reactions
Just ordered the Gorilla lugs. I’m a complete newb on doing any car mods and I’m inspired and intimidated by the work I see in here… so don’t blast me for what is quite possibly a dumb question.

When installing these, do I need to jack up the vehicle or can I swap one at a time on the ground?

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
This is what I use with the Niche Misano M117, brand is called white knight (from autozone). View attachment 3289

# Assuming yours got factory tint? Shops could either remove the existing tint and reapply ones that match the back or add over on top
Factory tint is in the glass, it isn't a film on the glass. My windows are marked "70%". I guess that meets the most stringent state statute. I put 30% on mine, so I guess that nets out to 49%?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just ordered the Gorilla lugs. I’m a complete newb on doing any car mods and I’m inspired and intimidated by the work I see in here… so don’t blast me for what is quite possibly a dumb question.

When installing these, do I need to jack up the vehicle or can I swap one at a time on the ground?
I would just do one at a time. Don't forget to re-torque them after driving about 50 miles or so.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I would just do one at a time. Don't forget to re-torque them after driving about 50 miles or so.
I did all mine in between rain showers ;). I re-torqued them after running some errands.

BabsST38

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I just installed McGard black lugs and they look really nice. However I had to use a 21mm socket to remove the old lugs and a 22mm for the new ones. Which would make me believe the lug wrench for the spare is a 21mm. As well as the jack. Has anyone replaced these items or are you carrying an extra socket and breaker bar?

Reactions
I just installed McGard black lugs and they look really nice. However I had to use a 21mm socket to remove the old lugs and a 22mm for the new ones. Which would make me believe the lug wrench for the spare is a 21mm. As well as the jack. Has anyone replaced these items or are you carrying an extra socket and breaker bar?
This is why it’s so easy to just buy the black PVD set from Ford Performance: same 21mm hex along with an OE look. Why hassle with having to keep an additional wrench or socket when you don’t need to. They’re only marginally more expensive than some of the aftermarket sets (paid $150 for mine thanks to Google), and the flush fit is perfect.

D322C26B-BA53-4AD5-A2BB-187864A2A9D6.jpeg

Last edited:

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

Detroitwelder

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer st
I want to change lug nuts to black ones .

Does anyone know the overall length, and OD of the oem lug nuts?

I found that the thread size is
14x1.5 mm.

QUESTION # 2,
I want to have the front windows tinted, can I get them to match in color to the rear ones?

Thanks

Jim
I want to change lug nuts to black ones .

Does anyone know the overall length, and OD of the oem lug nuts?

I found that the thread size is
14x1.5 mm.

QUESTION # 2,
I want to have the front windows tinted, can I get them to match in color to the rear ones?

Thanks

Jim

BabsST38

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
This is why it’s so easy to just buy the black PVD set from Ford Performance: same 21mm hex along with an OE look. Why hassle with having to keep an additional wrench or socket when you don’t need to. They’re only marginally more expensive than some of the aftermarket sets (paid $150 for mine thanks to Google), and the flush fit is perfect.

View attachment 13959
Yeah, well all the posts were filled with 3rd party lugs and I didn’t see the Ford parts until a couple of months after I purchased the McGard lugs

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Went the cheap route for now until I get new wheels. I just added the black lug nut covers for now from Amazon.
What size lug nuts do we have in mm? Is it 21mm?