Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Black lug nuts

OP
Symetry

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
This is how it sits on the 21” wheel, does it look remotely close for you 2020 folks?

View attachment 3298 View attachment 3299
So the overall height doesn't really hurt? I don't mind that they are not flush .
I thought I read somewhere that the oem nuts have a stop inside the nut to prevent overtorque.

From your post I assume that yours is a 2021 , do you have the part # ?

If so it will be the ones I order.

Thanks

Jim

OP
Symetry

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
I think I’d be a little surprised if weren’t the same lug nut as the 2020 ST but I’d sure like to know. Please keep us posted.
Yeah me too , since basically they are the same vehicle.

What about the street pack as opposed to the 20" wheels ,
Shouldn't the studs and spacing be the same?

Gosh so much to learn.

Jim

92onward

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
So the overall height doesn't really hurt? I don't mind that they are not flush .
I thought I read somewhere that the oem nuts have a stop inside the nut to prevent overtorque.

Thanks

Jim

Gorilla Automotive 96643BDX Black Factory Style Wheel Lock System (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size, 20-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4VSVYG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_av09Fb6BB3670?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

OP
Symetry

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #24

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Looks about right, My stock 2020 21" wheels with the Gorilla lugs after a couple thousand miles this past summer.
20200805_135150.jpg

Reactions
Mine go on tmorrow so I will take a look and let you know.
The link I posted to eBay fit perfectly for the 2020 ST Street Pack 21" black wheels. The lugs are flush and look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions

Thanks

Jim
Just what I was looking for...thank you! db

Reactions
I too hate the chrome lug nuts on the black wheels. I just bought these black Gorilla lug nuts (Qty:20) on eBay for $57.95 - $2.89 each. I chose these since I do not need or want the locking lug nuts. They are being put on at the dealer Friday when they check my recall and rotate the tires.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-GORILLA-LARGE-SEAT-OEM-OE-STOCK-WHEELS-LUG-NUTS-14X1-5-M14-ACORN-RIMS-BLACK/400490952507?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I just got these and installed. I can confirm they fit and look great. They stick out just a little bit, but doesnt bother me.

Norvgen

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Not sure of any of the specs but Gorilla black chrome are a good lug nut. I’ve ran on my truck for five years, and they still look great.
Installed my Gorilla lug nuts today, love them.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So these aren't black lug nuts, but a different option if you don't mind spending a little. I got titanium lug nuts from a company called ChasingJs. Super high quality parts, and look great. Now their titanium parts are burnished so they have a rainbow blue tint. My truck is Atlas Blue, but I would have gotten these no matter what color I had. I know most people think I got them because my truck is blue, but the educated car people know what's up.

Titanium is obviously much lighter than most metals, so there is some rotating mass dropped. It dropped almost a pound per wheel compared to the factory lugs. Yes, I weigh every mod I do to calculate total weight loss. The downside here is cost. These were $270 for the set, but I'm always happy to pay for quality upgrade parts.

Attachments

Norvgen

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
So these aren't black lug nuts, but a different option if you don't mind spending a little. I got titanium lug nuts from a company called ChasingJs. Super high quality parts, and look great. Now their titanium parts are burnished so they have a rainbow blue tint. My truck is Atlas Blue, but I would have gotten these no matter what color I had. I know most people think I got them because my truck is blue, but the educated car people know what's up.

Titanium is obviously much lighter than most metals, so there is some rotating mass dropped. It dropped almost a pound per wheel compared to the factory lugs. Yes, I weigh every mod I do to calculate total weight loss. The downside here is cost. These were $270 for the set, but I'm always happy to pay for quality upgrade parts.
They look great, worth the money.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
How does the McGards and Gorilla lug nuts hold after being taken on and off during numerous tire rotations? I have my tires rotated every 5,000 miles.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
How does the McGards and Gorilla lug nuts hold after being taken on and off during numerous tire rotations? I have my tires rotated every 5,000 miles.
I sincerely believe the answer to this question depends entirely upon who does the rotation and the procedure they use. If you can find a person that doesn‘t use an impact wrench and uses a quality six point socket in decent shape they hold up reasonably well. As in a set will likely last as long as I own the vehicle. I rotate my own tires every 3,000 miles and mine last pretty well.

At the end of the day, no matter which manufacturer’s lug nut, no matter how they are finished if they are rattled on and off with an air gun in the hands of a person that doesn’t care and uses loose socket (read every socket you see in the average tire shop bay) they’ll show wear much more quickly than done with non impact tools. Truth is everything I’ve said here applies to the OE metal capped lug nuts as well. Air/Electric impact wrenches are killers.

Of course maintenance comes into play as well, gotta get the road grime off of the lug nuts particularly in areas where road salts are used.

Last edited:

Blackssr

Reactions
@MikeyP
Do you a few pictures of the wheels on the car?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
@MikeyP
Do you a few pictures of the wheels on the car?
I need some better side pics, but I have these now. Doesn't affect what you're looking for but hood letters are gone and license plate is black now.

Attachments

Explorer ST Posts