Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Black lug nuts

Reactions
Pulling the trigger on these, I hope they work
those are the ones listed earlier in the thread. I bought them and I know a few others did too. I got the seller to update his add that they work on the 2021's.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Guys… If you want the Factory Lugs in Black contact MacLean-Fogg. I reached out to them after trying 2 sets of the McGard kits and the cone bulge was not the correct size, could see unpainted lug wells with them. MacLean-Fogg manufacturers all lugs for Ford and I was able to score a set from them in return for my honest review which I did a few weeks ago. They will be selling these to the general public. I went onto the website and selected Automotive Products and placed an inquiry on the contact page and received a response the day after. Hope this helps. Pics are of the Black lugs, factory lugs and the MacGard set that do not fit correctly.

Attachments

Reactions
Guys… If you want the Factory Lugs in Black contact MacLean-Fogg. I reached out to them after trying 2 sets of the McGard kits and the cone bulge was not the correct size, could see unpainted lug wells with them. MacLean-Fogg manufacturers all lugs for Ford and I was able to score a set from them in return for my honest review which I did a few weeks ago. They will be selling these to the general public. I went onto the website and selected Automotive Products and placed an inquiry on the contact page and received a response the day after. Hope this helps. Pics are of the Black lugs, factory lugs and the MacGard set that do not fit correctly.
Thanks for the tip on these lug nuts. I reached out to them and here is their response this morning. I wish they were doing a locking nut.

Patrick, we are working on making these available online in the coming weeks. We don’t currently offer a locking wheel nut at this time. I can reach out to you once we have ordering capability online.
Chris Demoff | Director – Industrial & E-Commerce Sales
1250 Allen Drive, Troy, MI 48083
www.macleanfoggcs.com

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
They will make a Locking Nut if enough interest is expressed… I was shocked they responded to me and have begun producing them. I was about to give up on finding Black lugs that fit exactly like the OEM’s

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Given the choice I'd rather not have a capped lug nut like the OE ones.

Reactions
those are the ones listed earlier in the thread. I bought them and I know a few others did too. I got the seller to update his add that they work on the 2021's.
I got them, they are awesome

Attachments

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I just sent an e-mail to MacLean-Fogg . We will see what kind of reply I get.

Reactions
233 doll hairs... LOLOLOLOLOL

When everybody else is buying the ebay Gorilla's for 1/3 the cost.

But in REALITY the ones you linked should have come on the vehicle from the factory... Black wheels, black lugs. But Ford is not alone in this. I bought a 2019 Z06 with black wheels from the factory with chrome lugs. I made the dealer change them out. Maybe with those lugs above being a Ford product people can get their dealers to do the same as part of the sale at no cost...hahahah yea right...

Reactions
Yeah, I was a little shocked at the price. But you are right, these should have been installed on every vehicle with black wheels. Maybe McLean-Fogg, the company making these, will have a better price when they release theirs in a couple of weeks.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I get the OE thing but you are still getting a capped lug nut. There are 2 reasons to replace the silver ones, color is a big one, getting rid of the caps is equally important in my mind. The caps will live just fine if you always use hand tools to pull and install the lug nuts. If you're going to use impact guns or are taking your vehicle to a tire shop or any shop for that mater they simply aren't the better choice.

Reactions
I get the OE thing but you are still getting a capped lug nut. There are 2 reasons to replace the silver ones, color is a big one, getting rid of the caps is equally important in my mind. The caps will live just fine if you always use hand tools to pull and install the lug nuts. If you're going to use impact guns or are taking your vehicle to a tire shop or any shop for that mater they simply aren't the better choice.
Not only that, if you live in a “northern” climate, the caps will eventually swell due to corrosion underneath and become extremely difficult to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Not only that, if you live in a “northern” climate, the caps will eventually swell due to corrosion underneath and become extremely difficult to remove.

There is actually an on-going class action lawsuit against Ford regarding this because these lugs are swelling and Ford is refusing to "warranty" the problem (just google "ford" and "swollen lug nuts" and be astonished at the sheer number of results). At my last dealer visit I actually got to listen in to a service writer try and explain his way into charging some lady $9 PER LUG to replace her lug nuts that he said had swelled and the mechanics couldn't get them off so they needed to cut them off. I get the aesthetics but I would NEVER buy a capped lug, ESPECIALLY from Ford (or McLean-Fogg as it may be).

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder

That's all part of the impact gun capped lug nut deal. They get corrosion under the cap. The gun rattles the cap around, pretty soon the corners round and you end up with exactly what has been described in the previous 2 posts. This isn't a Ford only problem, this was around 40 years ago on GM vehicles.

Liquid

Reactions
Heads up everyone; if you go with the Gorilla 96643BDX black locking lug nuts (M14x1.5 bulge) make sure you count them before starting your installation. My package (plastic wrapped, new from Amazon) only had 19 nuts [8] and I had already done three of four wheels when I realized the error.

I called Gorilla Automotive at 323-585-2852 and they said to take it up with the seller. I've bought several sets from Gorilla and McGard over the years and this is a first.

Reactions
Revisiting this thread as I would like to purchase a set of black lug nuts. Can someone post a link for a set for the '21 ST with 21" wheels / red calipers Street pack version...also, do 1.5" Bora wheel spacers cause any issues, tks.