Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

BIG brakes for our Explorers, this time affordable

OP
jeffreybehr
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST, Rapid Red; 2020 and 2022 STs
Thread Starter #41

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious--what size are your wheels and tires? I too chose Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s, in 295/40ZR22...Here are a few pics from this morning of my dirty '23 in Rapid Red.
2024Feb14_DSC0800_RF corner_1500w.jpg
2024Feb14_DSC0801_RR corner, dirty_1500w.jpg

2024Feb24_DSC0803_LF wheel & tire_1500w.jpg

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Same size. I have Steeda springs. Wanted a little taller sidewall than a 30 or 35 for a slightly softer ride. The Michelins are light years better than the oem Pirellis IMO. Really happy with them so far.

Looking good! Sucks trying to keep clean in winter.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

That looks good!
Adding these brakes is my next thing to do once my wife decides what she want to do with the ST. Do want to dump any more money into it if she wants to trade it on something else.

OP
jeffreybehr
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #44
Same size. I have Steeda springs. Wanted a little taller sidewall than a 30 or 35 for a slightly softer ride. The Michelins are light years better than the oem Pirellis IMO. Really happy with them so far.

Looking good! Sucks trying to keep clean in winter.

I have Eibach ProKit lowering springs and the BIG Brakes still to install on mine.. My BFfL/goodbuddymechanic has been very ill the last 1-1/2 years and last week survived a double-lung transplant, so he hasn't been able to install any of this stuff for me.. I think I've found my former mechanic again, so I think this stuff will be going on soon.

'Winter' doesn't exist in Phoenix, in the middle of the Sonoran Desert; we have six months of summer and six months of nonsummer, so generally it's fairly easy to keep cars clean.

Last edited:
Reactions
+1. I have a 7000TLX. I got it because it has the capacity to lift 1/2 ton pickups and 1/2 ton based full sized SUVs in case I needed it. I did prefer the TLX (extended length) frames though because I think there's very few cars that need the standard length.

As for the ABS bleeding procedure (for BMW), it's similar. It's recommended when you open the system up (ie. replace a caliper, master cylinder, etc.). I think you can get away without doing that if the opening is way downstream of the master cylinder.
how did u guys bleed the ABS system?

Reactions
Make sure you top up the brake fluid reservoir so it doesn’t empty.

When the car is put into brake service mode and you pump and hold the brakes to bleed the system it starts actuating the master cylinder for you. Just keep holding the pedal down until the bleeder is closed. If you don’t let the reservoir empty you won’t have any issues or need any extra items to bleed the system.

If you do let it go too low then you can use forscan to actuate the components and start bleeding the system all over again completely.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If you think you have a little air trapped in there just get it up to speed…I prefer triple digits…then absolutely slam on the brakes. Drive it into the ABS pump kicking in…it’ll cycle the air out of the pump. As long as you don’t let the master cylinder go dry though it won’t be a problem.

Reactions
So I did the upgrade to the red performance calipers and brake pads with some appropriate drilled and slotted rotors,

I couldnt find the “service bleed” option in forscan
Maybe its not in forscan lite?

also I couldnt do the fun method unbroken suggested because I gotta break in these rotors now :ROFLMAO: 50-100 miles :(

OP
jeffreybehr
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #50
F
I have Eibach ProKit lowering springs and the BIG Brakes still to install on mine.. My BFfL/goodbuddymechanic has been very ill the last 1-1/2 years and last week survived a double-lung transplant, so he hasn't been able to install any of this stuff for me.. I think I've found my former mechanic again, so I think this stuff will be going on soon.

'Winter' doesn't exist in Phoenix, in the middle of the Sonoran Desert; we have six months of summer and six months of nonsummer, so generally it's fairly easy to keep cars clean.

Finally have the Eibach springs installed...
2024Apr26_DSC0893_Lowered, L-front_1500w.jpg
...and the same guy will do the brakes, maybe this week.