Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

BIG brakes for our Explorers, this time affordable

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
Quickjack 7000. Wanted a little insurance on capacity.

Harbor freight vacuum bleeder. I have a motive pressure bleeder, which I prefer, but don’t have a cap that fits yet. Also found out the abs bleed procedure in the Ford software assumes you are using a pressure bleeder. Might head to Ford to get another brake res cap I can adapt to my motive for final bleeding including the abs circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1. I have a 7000TLX. I got it because it has the capacity to lift 1/2 ton pickups and 1/2 ton based full sized SUVs in case I needed it. I did prefer the TLX (extended length) frames though because I think there's very few cars that need the standard length.

As for the ABS bleeding procedure (for BMW), it's similar. It's recommended when you open the system up (ie. replace a caliper, master cylinder, etc.). I think you can get away without doing that if the opening is way downstream of the master cylinder.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Pedal seems pretty firm in the garage. Hoping I don’t need another round of bleeding. Won’t know for sure until I get out and bed them.

Pouring today so might put the steeda subframe bushing plates in and the toe links that have been sitting in my garage.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Finally got the brakes bedded and went out for some spirited driving. I will say that I am impressed. Much better braking with good ability to modulate the brakes. Hard braking is outstanding. I road raced my CTS-V with track pads on my Brembos and I would say braking is almost as good. With high heat/high friction pads, these might brake better. Sticking with the ceramic pads though as I hate brake dust.

Overall very impressed with quality and performance and price!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I'm looking into doing these on my ST. I don't even have the Street Pack brakes and I'm a pretty hard driver! Are brake pads easy to get in the future and which option do I choose for Electronic Parking Brake?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Pads are a mild concern. They give the dimensions but also recommend using theirs. Considering getting a set of pads just for when the time comes. Rotors….i don’t know.

I had integrated and bought integrated. My understanding is if you have wheel clearance issues, the separate caliper option sticks out a little less. I’m running Velgen 22’s and I have tons of clearance with the integrated kit.

Got a set of oem calipers and rotors now

Reactions
Vehicle
Pads are a mild concern. They give the dimensions but also recommend using theirs. Considering getting a set of pads just for when the time comes. Rotors….i don’t know.

I had integrated and bought integrated. My understanding is if you have wheel clearance issues, the separate caliper option sticks out a little less. I’m running Velgen 22’s and I have tons of clearance with the integrated kit.

Got a set of oem calipers and rotors now

One of the first things I did was put on new brakes. Drilled/Slotted rotors with ceramic pads. Should be good for a little while. LOL!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Yea but nothing like a Powerslot kit is anywhere near the same league as one of these big kits.

Reactions
Vehicle
So if I’m understanding this right, I should wait until I put on new rims and then get the integrated kit? I just bought new tires so it’s going to be a while before I get new wheels. I wanted to do the BBK first but if integrated is the way to go, then I’ll just wait.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Other than appearance, I don’t think there is a difference in performance other than better clearance on the two. I think the integrated looks better. If you don’t care about the look, you could do it now. If you prefer the look of the integrated, I would wait until you get new wheels.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Other than appearance, I don’t think there is a difference in performance other than better clearance on the two. I think the integrated looks better. If you don’t care about the look, you could do it now. If you prefer the look of the integrated, I would wait until you get new wheels.

I just finished installing my kit with the 3rd caliper and wish I had just gotten the integrated. Routing of the brake line and the factory bracket that holds it and the wiring is a pain in the ass as is getting to the mounting bolts for the 3rd caliper.
BTW I went with Hawk HPS 5 pads, HB581B.660 for the front and HB193B.670 for the rear, not sure the rear would work on the integrated rear caliper though.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for the pad info

Reactions
Thanks for the pad info

hey can you take a pic of the rear caliper parking brake?? i'm having trouble getting out of parking brake maintenece mode?? i'm wondering if mine are oriented and connected properly??

how did you enter and exit service mode?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I use a Bosch mastertech ii and Ford FDRS. Interestingly I had to go through the exit maintenance mode a few times to get everything working. Thinking it gets confused when you put the new caliper on. It doesn’t adjust much at all with new pads.

Reactions
I use a Bosch mastertech ii and Ford FDRS. Interestingly I had to go through the exit maintenance mode a few times to get everything working. Thinking it gets confused when you put the new caliper on. It doesn’t adjust much at all with new pads.

ugh all I have is forscan and it’s not doing the trick! I would hate to have to limp over to the dealership stuck in maintenance mode. Sent you some images in a message on here can you confirm if I have the driver side rear installed properly as far as the EPB actuator with the connector positioned toward the top of the caliper?

IMG_6329.jpeg IMG_6326.jpeg

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That looks right to me. I did have a heck of a time getting the connector to click and lock on the ebrake. Had to use pliers to get them tight enough to lock.

Reactions
That looks right to me. I did have a heck of a time getting the connector to click and lock on the ebrake. Had to use pliers to get them tight enough to lock.

Ended up being one of the new actuators was DOA. I ended up using the original ford rear caliper electronic parking brake actuators and putting them onto the Superforged rear calipers and everything worked! I avoided needing to use their wiring harness and actuators all together this way!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Ended up being one of the new actuators was DOA. I ended up using the original ford rear caliper electronic parking brake actuators and putting them onto the Superforged rear calipers and everything worked! I avoided needing to use their wiring harness and actuators all together this way!
Nice and good to know!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
...I’m running Velgen 22’s and I have tons of clearance with the integrated kit...
Could you post up a pic of your ExST? I also have Velgen 22's. Thanks.