Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best wheels for the buck....

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Looking to get some 22x10 in wheels for the truck.

I put money into the suspension with Steeda products.

While the 21in street pack wheels are nice, I would like a little wider stance and hoping to lighten the load with lighter wheels.

I like the Vossen and Ferrarda wheels but was looking for a less expensive alternative.

Any input greatly appreciated and please feel free to post some pics.

Thanks guys.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I think that Vossen makes some beautiful wheels. I believe that there is something to be said about the old adage, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. You can have Strong or Beautiful/Light Weight or Inexpensive. Pick 2 out of the 3 but you can't have all 3.

I'd like to have a 22" wheel. Oddly, I really like the look of the 21" black wheel the ST's come with. In fact better than any of the beautiful aftermarket wheels I've seen. Go figure, there's no accounting for tastes but I just like it. Having someone build me a custom 22" wheel that looks like the OE but offers a little broader stance simply wouldn't be a cost-effective smart thing to do.

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My choice was down to Vossen or Velgen. I went with Velgen and the customer service was excellent!

OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #4
I think that Vossen makes some beautiful wheels. I believe that there is something to be said about the old adage, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. You can have Strong or Beautiful/Light Weight or Inexpensive. Pick 2 out of the 3 but you can't have all 3.

I'd like to have a 22" wheel. Oddly, I really like the look of the 21" black wheel the ST's come with. In fact better than any of the beautiful aftermarket wheels I've seen. Go figure, there's no accounting for tastes but I just like it. Having someone build me a custom 22" wheel that looks like the OE but offers a little broader stance simply wouldn't be a cost-effective smart thing to do.
I understand your point,, but I don't know if I trust using spacers to achieve the wider wheel stance. Still debating about it...

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I wasn't suggesting spacers. I would have the offset built into the wheel.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
If you get high quality wheel spacers that are hub centric, like BORA, then they are more than safe for street use. I just installed mine yesterday and they are definitely hub centric. For most factory wheel offsets, the common size that everyone uses for the bora spacers is 1.25" front and 1.5" rear.

You can buy them here

https://www.motorsport-tech.com/bora.html

OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #7
If you get high quality wheel spacers that are hub centric, like BORA, then they are more than safe for street use. I just installed mine yesterday and they are definitely hub centric. For most factory wheel offsets, the common size that everyone uses for the bora spacers is 1.25" front and 1.5" rear.

You can buy them here

https://www.motorsport-tech.com/bora.html
Yes if I were to do spacers they would be Bora.
Just still cant get past the whole use of spacers.
Maked me nervous when some people, with much more knowledge than me swear that they are unsafe.
For the money I may try them and see.
Do you have any pics to show what your offset looks like???
Thanks for the input.

Reactions
My choice was down to Vossen or Velgen. I went with Velgen and the customer service was excellent!
I would second this statement. Loved the looks of the vossens and was going to get them but the ones I wanted were early summer release. The Velgen VF9's offered a great value and shipped out the same day I paid for them.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
If you think about it from a logic standpoint, a proper sized hub centric spacer will transfer the load directly into the hub where the load should go. If the spacer is not sized correctly or is not hub centric, the load goes into the lugs and they are not as strong in a shear situation, and that leads to broken wheel studs.

The wife was pestering me yesterday to finish up so she could get her car out to go shopping so I didn't get a chance to get any pics.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just to weigh in on this....any type of hub spacer will put more load on the wheel bearings as you're altering the leverage of the wheel which will magnify the torque on the bearings when cornering. Now, in all likelihood, that's probably not a big concern if you're not road racing (you're not,right?), but it is something to think about. You're also adding weight.

Last edited:
OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #11
Just to weigh in on this....any type of hub spacer will put more load on the wheel bearings as you're altering the leverage of the wheel which will magnify the torque on the bearings when cornering. Now, in all likelihood, that's probably not a big concern if you're not road racing (you're not,right?), but it is something to think about. You're also adding weight.
:LOL::LOL: No not at all road racing. Just want to alter the look just a bit. Thinking about 1.25 spacers all around. Shouldn't be too much of stress on the suspension.....right???? Anyway that's why I'm asking here, cause my shop guys are not fans of spacers.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You're probably fine if you're just concerned with "looks", but there's a reason your "shop guys" are not fans. Neither am I.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
People should consider that most big tire shops won’t touch a car with spacers either…so it may be on you to take just the wheels in when you need new tires.
Discount Tire wouldn’t even leave a 4mm hub centric slip on spacer on my GTI.

OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #14
You're probably fine if you're just concerned with "looks", but there's a reason your "shop guys" are not fans. Neither am I.
Maybe I will try the 1.25 spacers and just check the torque specs every other day for the first few days or so.
I'm not doing anything extreme with the truck and only do an occasional run with a draggy app.
I'm only going to do a couple more mods then done. Getting ET's of 12.70's consistent and just looking to get into the low 12's. I could see if I had the mods/power and torque specs some have here but mine is mild.
The wheels look fine to me just wanted another 1in or so on the width, and the spacers seem to be the economical choice.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Star White
not sure how the roads are where you are but lightweight 22's wouldnt last a spring here on Ontario roads