Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020+ Ford Explorer ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
ig·no·rant
/ˈiɡnərənt/
adjective
lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
"he was told constantly that he was ignorant and stupid"

Yup. That works.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I see that Firestarter has read one of my about him. He gave it a thumbs down. Gee, I feel better now.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Don't know how this applies to the newer technology of today but as far as warranty concerning PCM tuning, back in the day, when I was running a Supra, I could interchange the ECU/PCM. One was modded and the other stock. If I were to bring it to the dealer, I would simply unplug the tuned ECU and mount the stock one. No one was the wiser.
Having a Supra forum was instrumental in what parts were affected by what modifications. We would then address the weak components and replace them with upgraded versions that would stand the stress.
Sport vehicles are generally engineered to withstand more than stock power but there's always a breaking point. Keeping in touch with other owners, let us know those breaking points and the remedies for them. When you play, you pay! :)
It also helps to have extended warranties by companies that let you use any certified repair shop. So far, my experience with Ford corporate confirms that there are many other mechanics that I'd rather deal with.

Thanks to all that contribute invaluable info on this site!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Don’t think you will find a lot on here advocating trying to cheat Ford out of warranty coverage. If you want to play beyond the original specs of the vehicle you should be prepared to pay if you break something. It’s a pretty simple concept IMO. But hey, if you want to operate that way, feel free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Don’t think you will find a lot on here advocating trying to cheat Ford out of warranty coverage. If you want to play beyond the original specs of the vehicle you should be prepared to pay if you break something. It’s a pretty simple concept IMO. But hey, if you want to operate that way, feel free.

On the contrary, I see a lot of posts of many trying to dodge detection of PCM flashing and questions about keeping their warranty after various mods. I agree with your view point on Ford protocol protecting their warranty but on the other hand, it seems in my recent experience that Ford is doing its best to cheat its customers whenever they can. I was just told the other day by a service rep that the only way for me to retrieve the factory door code was to give the ST to them for an hour so they can find it with diagnostics, all for a meager $170! C'mon, this is a feature that comes with the SUV!
I found out today where I can find it myself at no cost! That's just one of many negative Ford experiences I've had since I bought this vehicle last month.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
On the contrary, I see a lot of posts of many trying to dodge detection of PCM flashing and questions about keeping their warranty after various mods. I agree with your view point on Ford protocol protecting their warranty but on the other hand, it seems in my recent experience that Ford is doing its best to cheat its customers whenever they can. I was just told the other day by a service rep that the only way for me to retrieve the factory door code was to give the ST to them for an hour so they can find it with diagnostics, all for a meager $170! C'mon, this is a feature that comes with the SUV!
I found out today where I can find it myself at no cost! That's just one of many negative Ford experiences I've had since I bought this vehicle last month.
There is no argument the vast majority of dealers suck!

Prime reason I have a subscription to ford software so I can do just about anything a Ford dealer can do

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yeah, I get it. There are Dealers, some not all, that will cheat you at the first opportunity and Ford frequently doesn't back things they should. That said, someone else's (Ford/Ford Dealers) lack of integrity should never be a justified reason for putting your own on the line.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah, I get it. There are Dealers, some not all, that will cheat you at the first opportunity and Ford frequently doesn't back things they should. That said, someone else's (Ford/Ford Dealers) lack of integrity should never be a justified reason for putting your own on the line.
And you're right and it's not a reason. My ST is still stock.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
There is no argument the vast majority of dealers suck!

Prime reason I have a subscription to ford software so I can do just about anything a Ford dealer can do

Wanna be friends? lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sure but Maryland is a long drive

Unless that info on the Ford software subscription has to be hauled over here, all we need is a PM! lol
I'd rather pay you than Ford but just a quick link to where I could subscribe would suffice.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Unless that info on the Ford software subscription has to be hauled over here, all we need is a PM! lol
I'd rather pay you than Ford but just a quick link to where I could subscribe would suffice.
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/d...ryId=286&from=helm&language=EN-US&country=USA

You need either a Ford scan tool or a Bosch master tech 2. Gives you all diagnostics and software updates dealers have. Not cheap at $800/yr. I think the Bosch was over a grand.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/d...ryId=286&from=helm&language=EN-US&country=USA

You need either a Ford scan tool or a Bosch master tech 2. Gives you all diagnostics and software updates dealers have. Not cheap at $800/yr. I think the Bosch was over a grand.

Remember when I asked if you wanted to be friends? lol
Actually, considering, not all that bad at $66.6/mo.
Thanks for the link!