Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best DIY Dashcam

KegsBdry

Reactions
New guy to the Dashcam world. There are way too many models out there. I’d like to find a good one that I do not have to take my vehicle (too much) apart to get it installed/setup. Therefore, I’m only thinking the Front Camera should due. But if the rear one is easy to setup, I’m down.

There has been a lot of good advice when looking for a Dashcam:
-Power should come from the vehicle. You don’t want to have to take the battery out to charge the unit. I would prefer NOT to see an ugly 12V power cord coming from my cigarette outlet. So there has to be another way to plug in to power the unit.
-The Dashcam should turn on/off automatically when the car turns on. You don’t want to have to remember to turn it on.
-The memory should be cycling: auto-deleting the oldest recordings with the latest recording.
-Easy way to extract / view / send the recording data without taking the camera down.
-4K super high resolution
-No Sound recorded. I’m not a fan of Alexa recording my every conversation.
-DIY installation. If it is not done right, it’ll drive me crazy looking at their terrible handiwork every time I drive.

I’m open to more advice from veteran Dashcam-ers.

Got any suggestions of Dashcam that would tie in perfectly to the Explorer ST?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have the Thinkware Q800Pro. It pretty much does what you want except it's technically 2K. They do have the U1000 model that is 4K though. That said, I don't think you need 4K unless there's a hit and run and you absolutely need to determine license plates. Most of the time, the other party will be known. You can connect the Thinkware to your phone to view the live feed or old footage. You can also remove the memory card for viewing on your PC.

Regardless of which dashcam you choose, the install is key. Many require two sources of power, one always on and the other switched (when you turn on the ignition) and you can grab these from the fusebox on the the front driver's side cockpit. You can snake the cable up the A pillar and to the top of the windshield either left or right of the rearview mirror. The rear view camera can be wired going underneath the headliner all the way back to the rear and through the rubber cable cover that's already there.

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
New guy to the Dashcam world. There are way too many models out there. I’d like to find a good one that I do not have to take my vehicle (too much) apart to get it installed/setup. Therefore, I’m only thinking the Front Camera should due. But if the rear one is easy to setup, I’m down.

There has been a lot of good advice when looking for a Dashcam:
-Power should come from the vehicle. You don’t want to have to take the battery out to charge the unit. I would prefer NOT to see an ugly 12V power cord coming from my cigarette outlet. So there has to be another way to plug in to power the unit.
-The Dashcam should turn on/off automatically when the car turns on. You don’t want to have to remember to turn it on.
-The memory should be cycling: auto-deleting the oldest recordings with the latest recording.
-Easy way to extract / view / send the recording data without taking the camera down.
-4K super high resolution
-No Sound recorded. I’m not a fan of Alexa recording my every conversation.
-DIY installation. If it is not done right, it’ll drive me crazy looking at their terrible handiwork every time I drive.

I’m open to more advice from veteran Dashcam-ers.

Got any suggestions of Dashcam that would tie in perfectly to the Explorer ST?
BlackVue DR900S-1CH

Attachments

GTP

Reactions
Viofo A129 4k Duo.

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
Viofo A129 4k Duo.
is that mini screen always on when the car is on?

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra

GTP

Reactions
is that mini screen always on when the car is on?
No, it turns off. Among the many, sensible, camera controls is the screen off delay time. Mine is set to maybe 15 or 30 seconds.

Note that my forward cam is just to the right of the upper central mirror system, so it is quite off-axis. So I have to lean over to see and interact with my camera (when I am fully parked of course).

I am running A129 Duo in both my cars for over 4 years and have not had a lick of trouble. They are running a sale right now - Pro for $189 or Plus for $149. To that be sure to add the parking 3-wire monitor, and 2 polaroid filters.

Last edited: