Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

BCM Reflash/Reset

Cksutler

Reactions
So after searching through the forum pages I've seen where others have had similar electronic issues that I am experiencing and a BCM reflash seems to be the first step. So I tried calling my local dealership Service Department to see about having the BCM reflashed. They told me they were unable to do this???? Did I not word this right when asking? Any idea on what I should do next. I live in the Raleigh NC area.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You can not just request procedures to be done under warranty. You can relay symptoms and hope that they do what you want. Not sure what you would say is wrong for them to lookup to see if updated BCM firmware is available and would solve the problem. I've found on a number of occasions that pulling the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes will reboot all modules and often cure any problems.

What year is your car and what is your BCM doing that's problematic?

OP
C

Cksutler

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Its a 2020 so out of warranty. It started with no longer connecting to wifi to update and GPS no longer tracking. Sometimes the center entertainment console will lock up and do nothing and stop playing music while driving. Only the driver side handle will lock/unlock the doors. The driver side heated seat has stopped working which a lot of others have complained about but not worried about that as much but still like things to work and not be broken. But recently the biggest issue now is none of the electric buttons work from the outside or remote, I open the door manually and the tones sound like the battery is dead and the truck will not start. Soon after the alarm will start to sound and I am unable to stop it from happening. Eventually the alarm will stop and I can go to the back tailgate, open, and then the truck will start again.

I have tried disconnecting the battery for a bit and that did not solve anything. I replaced the battery over the summer and that did not change anything either. I'm not sure what else to do.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Have you checked the auxiliary Battery?

OP
C

Cksutler

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
did not know I had an auxiliary battery…. What exactly does it do? Gotta Google where it is located to be honest

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I believe the auxiliary batteries are only in the Interceptors unless someone has added one for audio or some other requirement.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Its a 2020 so out of warranty. It started with no longer connecting to wifi to update and GPS no longer tracking. Sometimes the center entertainment console will lock up and do nothing and stop playing music while driving. Only the driver side handle will lock/unlock the doors. The driver side heated seat has stopped working which a lot of others have complained about but not worried about that as much but still like things to work and not be broken. But recently the biggest issue now is none of the electric buttons work from the outside or remote, I open the door manually and the tones sound like the battery is dead and the truck will not start. Soon after the alarm will start to sound and I am unable to stop it from happening. Eventually the alarm will stop and I can go to the back tailgate, open, and then the truck will start again.

I have tried disconnecting the battery for a bit and that did not solve anything. I replaced the battery over the summer and that did not change anything either. I'm not sure what else to do.
Those are a lot of different modules. I can tell you some may have been corrected in firmware updates but others, like the seat no longer heating, just sound like they are broken. Sounds like also you have electrical gremlins that have nothing to do with firmware updates. There were some early 2020s that had bad grounds. Not sure what advice to give you... if it were me, I trade in the car and get a new ST. Seems like a common path for many 2020 owners. I thankfully had some quirks corrected with firmware updates (DIY) and the car is finally worry free.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
There’s no aux battery in an st.
It's the second battery in the rear cargo area, maybe its called something different, but I have one.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
It's the second battery in the rear cargo area, maybe its called something different, but I have one.
We need a picture, please. The Interceptors had one but I've never heard of or seen an ST with one.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve disassembled the whole rear of my car more times than I care to think about. There’s no extra battery back there. If you have a US model ST you don’t have one either.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve disassembled the whole rear of my car more times than I care to think about. There’s no extra battery back there. If you have a US model ST you don’t have one either.
I can confirm this. I had my complete interior emptied for sound treatment and no battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk