Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bang and Olufsen opinion?

davesike

Reactions
hello all..

not satisfied with the b n o really..i like heavy bass..any upgrades anyone can recommend?
thanks

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Finally cranked mine up this evening. Very happy. No rattles. I don’t know, it’s a great sounding system to me.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
It would be beneficial to hear from anyone else that had their ST in for the SSM 49953 that covers the reprogramming of the Active Noise Control, Engine Sound Enhancement, and the speakers for the B&O system. I had mine in to the dealership and they completed this programming and I believe it sounds much better. I had a rattle in the drivers door sometimes and I don't hear it now. Placebo effect?.....yes possibly but I would like to hear from others to see if they agree. I also had really loud clicking and tapping coming from dash area and now its gone.

SSM 49953 - 2021 Explorer ST/Aviator - Engine Sound Enhancement (ESE)/Active Noise Control (ANC) Inoperative - Built On Or Before 07-Jun-2021
Some 2021 Explorer ST and Aviator vehicles may exhibit a customer concern of undesirable powertrain sounds inside the vehicle and/or less than optimal speaker sound from the vehicle. This may be due to the engine sound enhancement (ESE) on Explorer ST vehicles and the active noise control (ANC) on Aviator vehicles not being activated. To correct the condition, use the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) > select Toolbox > ACM > ACM - Enable Engine Sound Enhancement and Active Noise Control. Click RUN and follow the on-screen instructions carefully. If prompted with a window stating Feature Not Supported, select OK and continue through the installation application. For claiming use causal 18K810 and applicable labor operations found in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2020 - 2021 CAR: TV U611N AVIATOR
2021 CAR: TW U625N EXPLORER

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I just picked up a new '22 Explorer ST. I haven't looked at the build date yet, but the B&O is a disappoint to say the least. My last SUV was an '18 Porsche Cayenne with the Bose stereo. Absolutely the best factory stereo I've ever had in a car, period. At 3/4 volume you could not hear yourself scream and it was crystal clear. This B&O isn't loud at all and the sound is lack luster. The 980 watts has to be peak power, as there is no way it is RMS. I need to decide if I want to do some minor upgrades to bring this up to the level is should be at. This is my first Ford, it's fun to drive, has excellent brakes and a powerful engine, but there are a lot of little things that are very cheap that should not be in a $60k vehicle.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm going to add to my above comment. With XM, the sound quality is lack luster. However, if you steam in hi-res audio such as Qubuz, the sound system actually sounds pretty good. I feel it is a bit short on bass, but in all fairness speakers need to break in. My KEF home speakers took 2-3 months to fully break in, and my Alfa Romeo Stelvio took almost 15,000 miles of driving for the subwoofer to fully break in. So at 1500 miles in the ST, I'm sure it will sound better as time goes on.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
I'm going to add to my above comment. With XM, the sound quality is lack luster. However, if you steam in hi-res audio such as Qubuz, the sound system actually sounds pretty good. I feel it is a bit short on bass, but in all fairness speakers need to break in. My KEF home speakers took 2-3 months to fully break in, and my Alfa Romeo Stelvio took almost 15,000 miles of driving for the subwoofer to fully break in. So at 1500 miles in the ST, I'm sure it will sound better as time goes on.
Sounds like you’re having speaker problems..

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'll give you my 2 cents. I think the sound quality is decent once dialed in but it just doesn't get loud IMO. Compared to the Bose in my 2017 Sierra 2500HD it only has about 3/4 the volume my stock Bose had. I would have to give it a solid DISAPPOINTING.

Thanks to some write-ups here I already have everything ready to go once i get some time

Cajun Heat

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just like most comments, sounds hollow and a bit like a tin can. Going to do some research on upgrading the speakers but not going the $20k route like @UNBROKEN . Love his build but my pockets are not that deep.;)

Reactions
Definitely not as good as a Bose system but what can you do.
Ford drops the ball with many things so not surprised.
At least it isn't as bad as the new F-150 Super Snake which is a 120k truck and doesn't even have Brembo calipers like wow that is ridiculous.
carbon fiber cup holders to boot :)

BillBeau

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
For a so called 900+ watt system it sure don't loud enough for that.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
For a so called 900+ watt system it sure don't loud enough for that.
I'm guessing it is 900watts PEAK. 900/14 speakers is 64 watts per speaker. Definitely doesn't sound loud enough for 64watts/speaker.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Available power and power used is 2 different things. I have no idea how they split it up…but it sucks no matter what.

Reactions
It would be beneficial to hear from anyone else that had their ST in for the SSM 49953 that covers the reprogramming of the Active Noise Control, Engine Sound Enhancement, and the speakers for the B&O system. I had mine in to the dealership and they completed this programming and I believe it sounds much better. I had a rattle in the drivers door sometimes and I don't hear it now. Placebo effect?.....yes possibly but I would like to hear from others to see if they agree. I also had really loud clicking and tapping coming from dash area and now its gone.

SSM 49953 - 2021 Explorer ST/Aviator - Engine Sound Enhancement (ESE)/Active Noise Control (ANC) Inoperative - Built On Or Before 07-Jun-2021
Some 2021 Explorer ST and Aviator vehicles may exhibit a customer concern of undesirable powertrain sounds inside the vehicle and/or less than optimal speaker sound from the vehicle. This may be due to the engine sound enhancement (ESE) on Explorer ST vehicles and the active noise control (ANC) on Aviator vehicles not being activated. To correct the condition, use the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) > select Toolbox > ACM > ACM - Enable Engine Sound Enhancement and Active Noise Control. Click RUN and follow the on-screen instructions carefully. If prompted with a window stating Feature Not Supported, select OK and continue through the installation application. For claiming use causal 18K810 and applicable labor operations found in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2021 CAR: TW U625N EXPLORER
Interesting! Hadn't heard about this. Ours is a March 2021 build...so it would fall into this category I guess. I'll ask about this when I bring the car back in to get the passenger seat panel replaced (if the part ever arrives!).

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Are you guys deaf? Lol jp…not disputing quality(to me it’s good, not great). But volume, I get to 75% and it’s loud as hell. Can’t imagine going anymore. Now, I haven’t enjoyed any joy rides with all windows down and tried music but with windows up, this system gets very loud. Maybe it’s just me though.

Last edited:

BillBeau

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Are you guys deaf?
My F150 has a custom stereo I had installed. Polk speakers and a pioneer 10" sub. Amp is 100w per channel. Its a hell of a lot louder than this B&O

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My F150 has a custom stereo I had installed. Polk speakers and a pioneer 10" sub. Amp is 100w per channel. Its a hell of a lot louder than this B&O
Yeah that’s what I’m saying. I don’t know how much louder you want it to be. It’s a car. Not like it has a great acoustic environment anyway. I guess I need to hear a top of the line system to see how it’s supposed to be. Or maybe not, maybe that’s why I’m content lol

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah that’s what I’m saying. I don’t know how much louder you want it to be. It’s a car. Not like it has a great acoustic environment anyway. I guess I need to hear a top of the line system to see how it’s supposed to be. Or maybe not, maybe that’s why I’m content lol
Mine could show you what a car audio system can do.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think I can hear UNBROKEN’s from Chicago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
That's the problem with opinions on car audio quality, we all hear differently so it's not an even comparison plus we all have different standards as to what sounds good. Some only listen to AM/FM radio and the system is fine for that. It's the same as asking for a good restaurant recommendation, never works.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Not really. When we judge SQ systems there’s a very rigid set of rules to judge by. Good is good and bad is bad…but it’s really not subjective.