Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bang and Olufsen opinion?

Reactions
Do any of the non audiophiles on the board think the system sounds better after breaking in a bit? Was not impressed the first few weeks but either I have become desensitized to it or the sound is fuller and richer. Much happier now. Although I do think it imperative to switch to "surround sound" from "stereo" in the audio settings. Not sure why but it makes a difference.

Reactions
Do any of the non audiophiles on the board think the system sounds better after breaking in a bit? Was not impressed the first few weeks but either I have become desensitized to it or the sound is fuller and richer. Much happier now. Although I do think it imperative to switch to "surround sound" from "stereo" in the audio settings. Not sure why but it makes a difference.
I agree with switching to Surround Sound but do wish the lows (bass) hit a little harder

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Let's just say this ... this B&O 985-watt system in our Explorer is FAR superior to the Sony we had in our F-150 Platinum. No comparison at all!! I love the sound ... but then again I listen mostly to classical (non-opera), sound tracks, etc. Star Wars sounds awesome!! :geek:

Cheers!!

Ken

Reactions
Yep, grew on me too. The system is not bad. Bass is light, I'm now just running the bass on the eq almost all the way up. The system is pretty clean sound even at max volume. It ain't bad, but certainly there is better. I'm a musician and play in a band, and I'm content with the system after some time.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I think it sucks. lol
I can’t want to gather up the rest of my equipment and rip all the B&O stuff out.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The system is the best stock audio system I have owned. Not bad at all. Certainly gives me pause about doing an aftermarket upgrade.

Reactions
what factory stereo is better that this??? don't worry ill wait...… the answer is no stock system beats it.

I think it sucks. lol
I can’t want to gather up the rest of my equipment and rip all the B&O stuff out.

Reactions
I agree for a factory system it sounds very good. So good in fact I've delayed putting my aftermarket system untill next year.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
what factory stereo is better that this??? don't worry ill wait...… the answer is no stock system beats it.
How many do you want me to list? Many high end cars have oem systems that will destroy this fake B&O system. Pull any driver in the car and take a look at it...it’s standard Ford fare with a licensed name on it. Don’t let the name fool you...it’s no more B&O that the Sony system is Sony.

CDNRABBIT

Reactions
I'm a little disappointed with the BO sound, but it's good enough for all the terrible children's songs my kids like. Comparing it side by side with the factory "Alpine" system in my Jeep, I would have to say the sound in the Jeep is fuller and better defined at higher volumes.

Reactions
I had a lexus and a dodge before this and their sound system was better IMO. B&O is not loud enough even at max volume and the bass doesn't hit hard at all.

GTP

Reactions
How many do you want me to list? Many high end cars have oem systems that will destroy this fake B&O system. Pull any driver in the car and take a look at it...it’s standard Ford fare with a licensed name on it. Don’t let the name fool you...it’s no more B&O that the Sony system is Sony.
I agree with this. The only B&O part of this system is the logo. OTOH, cars with brands like Levinson, Dynaudio, JBL, even Bose (!), actually are properly designed and calibrated.

Having said that, it is certainly better than the B&O in my 2019 Mustang. The ST system has a much better tonal balance, whereas the Mustang's has the subwoofer juiced up at least 12dB too hot. The Mustang center channel is very cheap and distorted and also degrades the stereo image.

This may prove that hardware alone does not dictate sound quality, but the designer/programmer has much to do with the final result.

wcoyne

Reactions
Its not bad but not as good as the B&O that was in the 2012 Audi S4 I had. I wish it was

Its better than a lot of others though. I have the bass less than 3/4 and thats all it seems to like without something rattling.

I have yet to be impressed with many stock speakers including Bose, Sony, Infinity, and Harmon Kardon. The B&O that was in the Audi was great though

Reactions
I’m going to guess there is a bandpass subwoofer enclosure buried somewhere with a small driver. It’s horrible!

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
I have to agree, stereo sound is (for lack of a better word) weak. Surround sound is very satisfying... :)

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
I see several respondents compare the B&O system in the Explorer to other systems in sedans.
Consider the air volume you are surrounded in a sedan (like the Audi S4 referenced) and then look at the cavernous volume of air you're pushing in the Explorer.
Granted there are better sound systems out there but what work in a sedan does not necessarily work in a SUV.

Not trying to "stir the pot," just making an observation...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The size of the car makes no difference...unless you’re talking about a bus. They took that into account when they did the DSP tuning for the system. It’s just cheap drivers and low power With a fancy name...simple as that.

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
The size of the car makes no difference...unless you’re talking about a bus. They took that into account when they did the DSP tuning for the system. It’s just cheap drivers and low power With a fancy name...simple as that.
OK

Reactions
I have under 400 miles on the car but I already see this pales compared to the "Bose" system in my 2010 CTS Sport Wagon. The sound in the Explorer has too much echo trying to make up for its lack in other areas. The Explorer has many more cubic feet to fill with sound but it's fake sound IMO.

Of course it doesn't make much difference when you're hard on it in sport mode.