Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Back-up Camera Issues

Dr12VoltZ

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
does anyone have this TSB handy?
TIA

Reactions
On mine they did the reset first and the problem was back within 24hrs. Took it back, they replaced the camera. So far all good

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
You did get lucky! I just got the “we can’t duplicate it” but they can see I had the error code at home when I started it to drive there. Go figure! Had new camera installed and updated software - still blue every now and then. Ford really doesn’t have a solid answer!
Just want to post I just had the same experience. I have a buddy at an out of state Ford dealership check the diagnostic my dealership ran and confirmed they didn’t find any error codes. Ford Corporate apparently won’t cover dealership labor/parts without them. This stalemate is by design at most, negligence at minimum.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I bought my 2020 ST roughly three weeks ago - the dealer got it back a week later. One of the issues was the rear camera. I just got it back last Monday and it's got to go back because the camera has failed again. It has been reset at least twice and it doesn't hold for more than a couple of days. I haven't made it a week without an issue so far.

hbalek

Reactions
I bought my 2020 ST roughly three weeks ago - the dealer got it back a week later. One of the issues was the rear camera. I just got it back last Monday and it's got to go back because the camera has failed again. It has been reset at least twice and it doesn't hold for more than a couple of days. I haven't made it a week without an issue so far.
MIne was replaced back in March and software was reset. The blue screen problem went away until recently. Now it comes back for a few seconds and goes away. Before the old camera would stay blue until you restarted the vehicle. So it's somewhat of an improvement but it sucks when you try to use the Parking Assist and it goes blue for a second and cancels the parallel parking process.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
MIne was replaced back in March and software was reset. The blue screen problem went away until recently. Now it comes back for a few seconds and goes away. Before the old camera would stay blue until you restarted the vehicle. So it's somewhat of an improvement but it sucks when you try to use the Parking Assist and it goes blue for a second and cancels the parallel parking process.
Agreed - unfortunately, restarting the vehicle doesn't work for mine. It randomly fails until it's less random and more consistent and then it just stops working altogether. I also have a cracked CAT, had the window switches replaced, mid pipe rattle and had a braking issue they couldn't explain. The braking module was replaced and it, so far, seems to be fine. A lot of issues for three weeks of ownership!

PMA

Reactions
Anyone have a solution to this problem? I have had the "Rear Brake assist not available " and a rear camera blue screen happen about 40-50 % of the time. It seems to have started after the recall reprograming the E Brake on when in park. I had it back at the dealer and they updated 10 modules including the IPBM and it is still happening.

I have it booked Thursday for another look by the Dealer.

It is a 21 ST.

Any suggestions to pass along?

hbalek

Reactions
Anyone have a solution to this problem? I have had the "Rear Brake assist not available " and a rear camera blue screen happen about 40-50 % of the time. It seems to have started after the recall reprograming the E Brake on when in park. I had it back at the dealer and they updated 10 modules including the IPBM and it is still happening.

I have it booked Thursday for another look by the Dealer.

It is a 21 ST.

Any suggestions to pass along?
Mine was not fixed by the software update from the recall so the camera was replaced almost a year ago and it works better. I get blue screen occasionally but it only lasts a second whereas before it would stay blue until you restart the vehicle.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
It happens fairly often for me and i told it to my brother in law who works at my local ford dealer and he said that they constantly have people coming in about this issue and all that ford has said is to turn the ignition off and turn it back on.

hbalek

Reactions
It happens fairly often for me and i told it to my brother in law who works at my local ford dealer and he said that they constantly have people coming in about this issue and all that ford has said is to turn the ignition off and turn it back on.
That was before the camera replacement for me. For almost a year, I've never had to restart the vehicle to have the camera come back. It comes back on its own. So it is "better." It's good enough that I haven't asked them to look at the problem again. The software update was Ford's BS solution for the problem.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

PMA

Reactions
Finally! This looks like a real fix. My 2021 has been doing it a LOT lately and really pissing off the wife. I’ve not taken it back to the dealer since new because…, goons. I’ll get this one done though.
I have been to the dealer for my 21 three times to no avail. I am booked again for next week. I will cancel unless they have the new software update available.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer ST
Same issue

Dealer said I gotta replace backup camera. If your just over the warranty for that it cost like 94 bucks and an hour and half of install by dealer

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I have been to the dealer for my 21 three times to no avail. I am booked again for next week. I will cancel unless they have the new software update available.
Yeah I've been to the dealer 4 times and twice it happened again the next morning, I hope this resolves it this time.

Reactions
Vehicle
Same issue

Dealer said I gotta replace backup camera. If your just over the warranty for that it cost like 94 bucks and an hour and half of install by dealer
It's less than 30 minutes if you do it yourself.

Reactions
Vehicle
Finally! This looks like a real fix. My 2021 has been doing it a LOT lately and really pissing off the wife. I’ve not taken it back to the dealer since new because…, goons. I’ll get this one done though.
My wife is not happy either, she say's so much money to have this silly problem that they can't fix!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
So I just received the recall notice for the camera has anyone else?
6EE7B4D1-1FA0-4541-B2CE-C8E756A39C61.jpeg 51C22ADB-8F31-4AF4-8F24-EBDA70580999.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
Waiting for my notice…. I better get it. Still having that issue all the damn time.

My Ford pass mobile app doesn’t show the notice. I logged into ford.com and went to my account and that’s where it shows the recall.