Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Back-up Camera Issues

Reactions
I brought in to service dept and they had to order the part. Several months later and still no word from them. Wondering if has to do with chip shortages.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions
I just called the Service Dept and they said the cameras are STILL on national back-order. Ridiculous...Anyone know if theres an easy fix? Is it just some loose wiring or something?

Reactions
It does happen to me on occasions but not all the time. I've noticed that if I don't come to a complete stop, and my foot isn't completely on the brake for a full second or two, it occurs. So try this. Don't rush the car into reverse. Come to a complete stop and fully brake.

I am also hesitant to bringing it up at the dealer. And listening to you guys, its seems the dealership doesn't want to deal with it

NancyM

Reactions
Had backup camera replaced today and they did “Software Updates.” NOW the rev counter has disappeared and the auto stop-restart (when you’re at a red light and engine power off and back on) is no longer.

hbalek

Reactions
Had backup camera replaced today and they did “Software Updates.” NOW the rev counter has disappeared and the auto stop-restart (when you’re at a red light and engine power off and back on) is no longer.
Those are preferences in your display setup using your menu buttons on the steering wheel. You just have to select them again. Often when you have updates or a factory reset it goes back to default settings and your preferences are lost. This has happened to me more than once.

Reactions
Those are preferences in your display setup using your menu buttons on the steering wheel. You just have to select them again. Often when you have updates or a factory reset it goes back to default settings and your preferences are lost. This has happened to me more than once.
]
Exactly this, mine didnt have those showing on the cluster originally. I had to manually set them.

NancyM

Reactions

NancyM

Reactions
Thank you! Hubbie and me in car doing these menu buttons…all seems well now. Will note for future.

NancyM

Reactions
Thank you! Hubbie and I just went thru the menu settings and all is well.

Reactions
blue screen.jpg
Mine started doing it about a year old. Seams to be getting worse. I also have an issue when I turn off car and go in gas station and come right back out my XM is froze up. It only works after car has been off for about 5 minutes. Dealership can't even get me in to check. I guess I will take a trip up to dealer and see what's up.

Reactions
Mine still happening randomly. A engine shut off and restart seems to correct it until the next failure.

Reactions
I had most of these issues myself, until about three months ago. Due to a huge bonehead move, it appears to be corrected!

I forgot to close my rear hatch when I pulled out of my garage. Since the European garage ceilings are so low, I dragged my rear hatch into a concrete beam.

The rear window shattered. The rear wiper was destroyed. The spoiler was scraped, and there was a buckle in the door at the top of the Ford emblem.

The entire door (and window, of course) had to be replaced, which included a new camera and calibration. It took about 3 days to get all of the parts, now that a version of the Explorer (Hybrid) is being sold in Europe. The shop had my ST for a week.

No camera issues at all now, and it actually seems more responsive when I shift into reverse.

Total for the repairs was around €6000...but insurance covered it. My first claim in over 25 years, btw.

So, that’s one way to fix the rear camera issue….

Reactions
I had most of these issues myself, until about three months ago. Due to a huge bonehead move, it appears to be corrected!

I forgot to close my rear hatch when I pulled out of my garage. Since the European garage ceilings are so low, I dragged my rear hatch into a concrete beam.

The rear window shattered. The rear wiper was destroyed. The spoiler was scraped, and there was a buckle in the door at the top of the Ford emblem.

The entire door (and window, of course) had to be replaced, which included a new camera and calibration. It took about 3 days to get all of the parts, now that a version of the Explorer (Hybrid) is being sold in Europe. The shop had my ST for a week.

No camera issues at all now, and it actually seems more responsive when I shift into reverse.

Total for the repairs was around €6000...but insurance covered it. My first claim in over 25 years, btw.

So, that’s one way to fix the rear camera issue….
Wow! I don't feel so embarrassed anymore. Years ago I had a 2012 Explorer Limited. I was going to enter my garage that has an overhanging cement porch above it. While in park, I closed the tailgate but put the car in drive before the tailgate closed. and when I did that, the tailgate opened back up!. So I didn't realized what was happening and destroyed my tailgate, and shattered the glass, Freaky

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My camera fails like that occasionally. I've figured out it's actually a warning that there's something behind me I could back into.

Reactions
It does happen to me on occasions but not all the time. I've noticed that if I don't come to a complete stop, and my foot isn't completely on the brake for a full second or two, it occurs. So try this. Don't rush the car into reverse. Come to a complete stop and fully brake.

I am also hesitant to bringing it up at the dealer. And listening to you guys, its seems the dealership doesn't want to deal with it
I wouldnt be surprised if this was actually a software glitch, considering it seems to happen to people even after camera replacement. The fact that the camera works sometimes indicates that the problem may not be the camera unit itself.

STealth

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
This has started happening to my ST.
Purchased new May 2020.
At less than 9,000 miles, from May to the next July, malfunctions are beginning.

Attachments

Reactions
Had that POS camera replaced twice now. But so far it's the only thing I've been able to break on this thing!

Reactions
Mine has been doing it for quite a while. Very annoying. I mentioned to dealer one time when in for service. They said they did an upgrade. Going to print out the part number and article about the recall.

Never have had a camera issue on my 2016 F150.

Thanks.

Ed B

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Is anyone else having this problem? Sometimes when I go into reverse it says my backup camera isn't working and it's blued out on the screen and the back view of the 360 is blued out as well.

It first happened about a month ago, not it's happened 3-4 times a week. I've been hesitant to take it to the dealer because odds are they won't be able to replicate it in that moment since it's still intermittent, although becoming more frequent.

Has anyone else had this and gotten it fixed? If so, what was the problem? I'm more apt to call the dealer if I can tell them a documented fix.
Yep I’m getting a blue screen about half the time.
Taking it in to the dealer week after next.