Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Auto Stop/Start Sucks. Who's with me??

Reactions
JohnE, funny, the night I picked up my A vin ST, I drove it home in negative temps and my feet froze over the 40 mile trip home. Could get heat in the back and on the passenger side, but the drivers footwell was StoneCold.... Turns out the blender damper lead was disconnected. They fixed that and I too love my ST. Already over 3K and still learning new things.
I was seriously hoping that is was a blending door that was stuck and would miraculously free itself but no such luck LOL!

Reactions
I have gotten used to the auto stop jerkyness. If the a/c is running, it doesn't stay off for long. In sport mode, you have to engage it by pushing the "A" button. I use it in heavy traffic or in long drive thru lines. i haven't yet evaluated the mpg savings versus not using it.

Reactions
So I recently purchased the AutoStop Eliminator for my ST.

A 7mm socket needed for the 3-screws under the steering column. Installation took no more than 5 minutes.

Installed, started the truck and bam! Auto stop set to "DISABLED" upon starting vehicle. No need to push the bottom for it to remember the setting contrary to the installation video.

Also, no message comes up on the cluster.

I would highly recommend this tool for anyone that finds the auto stop/start annoying such as my wife and I do.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So I recently purchased the AutoStop Eliminator for my ST.

A 7mm socket needed for the 3-screws under the steering column. Installation took no more than 5 minutes.

Installed, started the truck and bam! Auto stop set to "DISABLED" upon starting vehicle. No need to push the bottom for it to remember the setting contrary to the installation video.

Also, no message comes up on the cluster.

I would highly recommend this tool for anyone that finds the auto stop/start annoying such as my wife and I do.
Is it still possible to turn it on with the button?

Reactions
Is it still possible to turn it on with the button?
Yes, if you want to leave the auto start/stop "ON" you can select it and the Auto-Eliminator remembers your last setting when you shut the car off.

I feel as though if you use the auto start/stop feature, it would defeat the purpose of purchasing this part. If you don't mind or enjoy the setting you might as well just press the button when you want to disable it. This just helps you not to forget to press it when you hear your engine shut off.

For me, it essentially forces my ST into "Keep Feeding Me Gas" mode without forgetting to press the button.

I think my ST likes it more to be honest ;-)

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yes, if you want to leave the auto start/stop "ON" you can select it and the Auto-Eliminator remembers your last setting when you shut the car off.

I feel as though if you use the auto start/stop feature, it would defeat the purpose of purchasing this part. If you don't mind or enjoy the setting you might as well just press the button when you want to disable it. This just helps you not to forget to press it when you hear your engine shut off.

For me, it essentially forces my ST into "Keep Feeding Me Gas" mode without forgetting to press the button.

I think my ST likes it more to be honest ;-)
Thanks for the answer. There are times when I wouldn't mind it shutting off on it's own, but the majority of the time I don't want it to do that. And remembering to push the button when I start it just isn't working.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I ust received my Autostop Eliminator in the mail. It literally took me longer to find the 7mm socket than it did to install the thing. It works just as advertised, the feature stays off until I push the button.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Installed and tested mine today, it took me longer to unclip the steering column surround since I had the 7mm socket waiting.....very happy with the results, too bad it can't keep the Drive mode setting too.

Reactions
Another thumbs-up for the Autostop Eliminator (<----LINK). As already mentioned, just a few minutes to install. Great product and nice to support a small business. Thanks to Travis there for making this possible.

Here's a shot of it behind the cover. Only needed to lift the top half up and it was easy to access the original plug and harness.

20200413_132018.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
1800 miles and really enjoying the ST the more I drive it. Yes, I even am used to the Auto stop and start and ind that it really helps mileage about 20 percent or better when in areas of long traffic lights and being inline at drive thru. Most fun is the power when accelerating onto the freeway or going up a hill.

Reactions
I’ve only had my ST (actually the wife’s but I drive it as much as possible ) a week now it in the default (on setting) I can come to a complete stop at a light and as long as I just hold the brake down enough to keep me from moving, the engine stays on. If I press the brake harder it shuts the engine off. I can deal with it that way. I don’t see how a million start stops can be good for the vehicle, and the gas savings can’t be that much. Just my 2¢