Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Auto Stop/Start Sucks. Who's with me??

Tony L

Reactions
I was told that for the F-150's someone had come up with a module to disable the stop/start function.. anyone find a way around that yet for ST's? I've been trying to remember to turn it off when I get in but I usually forget.

Reactions
I am with you. Worst tech feature ever. I don’t like the feeling of my rig dying on me whenever I pull up to a light. I drove too many POS cars when I was younger that would actually do that!

Reactions
Initially, I thought the same as above. I found the feature annoying and thought there was a problem with the car every time the engine shutoff. I also found it annoying that there was no way to permanently disable the feature (except for hitting the button every time you started the vehicle or buying the $99 after market module). For the past couple of days, I decided to try the feature. Once I got used to it, it was not too bad. Again, still wish I had the option to turn it off in the vehicle settings.

Reactions
I normally disable the feature as soon as I get in the car.

merco

Reactions
Not all stop/start systems are created equal. I found the system in my ST to have two issues.

1) The starting motor is noisy when it starts. It stutters and causes my ST to lurch forward slightly against the brakes when it turns on the vehicle at a red light. The lurch forward can be enough to move your head back slightly while sitting at a red light.

2) There is a delay from the time you touch the gas pedal to the time the vehicle starts rolling. This causes concern if I need to accelerate quickly when making a left turn into oncoming traffic at an intersection.

Comparison: I have rented other brands that all have the start-stop feature and some don't have a shutter or a delay at startup. For example, I rented a Chevy Malibu for a business trip and it was quite on the start, and had no delay on acceleration.

Doing a little research I see that this is a known issue with various brands. So, unfortunately, I think my ST is on the poor side of the Start-Stop execution. https://www.cars.com/articles/which-cars-have-the-best-stop-start-systems-1420684556033/

This is another example to me that my ST is brilliant in the concept, design, and performance (why I bought it). But poor on the execution of the systems and build.

Reactions
The shudder on startup is exactly what you don’t want. WTF, Ford!

Reactions
I'm an old gear head from back in the day, and when we added a turbo or had a car with one we had all types of devices and methods to protect the turbo. Pre lube, delay stop to avoid cooking the bearings etc. fast forward to today, how does the auto stop-start technology square with killing the oil supply to two turbos on a hot summer day by constantly stopping and starting with no spool down time. Just sayin

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm an old gear head from back in the day, and when we added a turbo or had a car with one we had all types of devices and methods to protect the turbo. Pre lube, delay stop to avoid cooking the bearings etc. fast forward to today, how does the auto stop-start technology square with killing the oil supply to two turbos on a hot summer day by constantly stopping and starting with no spool down time. Just sayin
I spent years as Captain of a turbo diesel powered excursion ship. If my Engineer ever shut down a hot diesel without letting the turbos cool first I would have fired him.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
And we used to start our cars like ......
1582421838410.png
(Photo copied from Hemmings.com online article)

Just couldn't resist, it is probably likely that the 2020 automotive technology hasn't improved since... back when...

Reactions
I hate it. I get pissed when I forget to disable it and I feel the restart rumble. I have the disable recall module, but haven't installed it.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
AJ, Which one did you get?

Reactions
AJ, Which one did you get?
Still awaiting dealer closing date, likely this week. Test drove a caddy xt6 and it was very very nice. Very smooth driving and sharp looking. The console was small and no sun glasses holder overhead among several other annoyances. We decided it was too small, especially narrow compared to explorer. It was also 8k more which made it easy to say no. We are getting another ST when we find one with a build date of mid January or later and with a "b" as the 6th from last vin as the "a" early units seem more problematic.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
There may be a few times where I don't mind the Auto Stop feature, but I want to be able to choose when. I just ordered the AutoStop Eliminator and I'll write something about it once it gets here.

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
with today's water cooled turbos, "coking" is almost non-existent anymore.

Reactions
Still awaiting dealer closing date, likely this week. Test drove a caddy xt6 and it was very very nice. Very smooth driving and sharp looking. The console was small and no sun glasses holder overhead among several other annoyances. We decided it was too small, especially narrow compared to explorer. It was also 8k more which made it easy to say no. We are getting another ST when we find one with a build date of mid January or later and with a "b" as the 6th from last vin as the "a" early units seem more problematic.
Ford took back my ST that I picked up on 10/31/19. The heater didn’t work and Ford engineers told the dealership to replace the heater core which required the removal of the dash, steering column, seats and carpet. I didn’t want any part of that with only 1,000 miles on the clock so they agreed to replace it for me. I added the Hi-Perf and Tech package (which I paid for) and the build date is 1/2020 with a B in that spot. Other than the windshield wipers being installed one tooth off on the spline shaft (which I fixed myself) the car is perfect so far.

Reactions
Ford took back my ST that I picked up on 10/31/19. The heater didn’t work and Ford engineers told the dealership to replace the heater core which required the removal of the dash, steering column, seats and carpet. I didn’t want any part of that with only 1,000 miles on the clock so they agreed to replace it for me. I added the Hi-Perf and Tech package (which I paid for) and the build date is 1/2020 with a B in that spot. Other than the windshield wipers being installed one tooth off on the spline shaft (which I fixed myself) the car is perfect so far.
How many Miles on your new b vin?

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
JohnE, funny, the night I picked up my A vin ST, I drove it home in negative temps and my feet froze over the 40 mile trip home. Could get heat in the back and on the passenger side, but the drivers footwell was StoneCold.... Turns out the blender damper lead was disconnected. They fixed that and I too love my ST. Already over 3K and still learning new things.