Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Auto Start-Stop disable/turn-off best options??

Blackssr

Reactions
Just put it in sport mode and it will disable it automatically.
Still requires user input. At least with Auto Start/Stop eliminator is "set it and forget it".

Last edited:

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Just installed the Auto Stop Eliminator on the Beast. Easy and the best money I have spent in awhile. It remembers your last setting on the auto stop button and the auto brake hold. You can turn the auto stop feature back on when you take it into the dealer for any type of service.

Blackssr

Reactions
Too bad ForScan couldn't handle it. The Eliminator does works perfectly.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So a question just went through my mind. Why does the Auto Start/Stop feature exist? A supposed fuel economy enhancement feature, right? So does that mean turning one of these off by way of a tune would not be in harmony with Big Brother and the ABC (EPA) company? They’re over fuel mileage standards as well as pollution aren’t they? The hardware piece is just a switch enhancement that already exists, you can turn it on or off by using the existing switch but doesn’t the tune effectively defeat the feature? Never would this thought have crossed my mind until I just read @F=MA post.

When I purchased my tune, there was an option to have the auto start stop disabled, which I chose. I can see some situations where this 'feature' may be beneficial (huge traffic jam, or sitting and waiting to pick someone up, etc.), but I am happy I selected the option to disable this.

Blackssr

Reactions
When I purchased my tune, there was an option to have the auto start stop disabled, which I chose. I can see some situations where this 'feature' may be beneficial (huge traffic jam, or sitting and waiting to pick someone up, etc.), but I am happy I selected the option to disable this.
I disagree my friend. It is a completely useless option for the tree huggers of the world. Nothing annoys me more than that brief hesitation when I want to pull away from a light. It just seems unnatural to me. I guarantee it was conceived by a Millennial, complete with his skinny jeans, bottled water and dreams of playing his Xbox when he got home. Lol

Reactions
Hi,
On a turbo engine, I think it is a very bad idea to turn off the oil flowing to the turbos to save a little fuel. This is a bad idea made worse with turbos.
Cheers,
Ron

Reactions
Hi,
On a turbo engine, I think it is a very bad idea to turn off the oil flowing to the turbos to save a little fuel. This is a bad idea made worse with turbos.
Cheers,
Ron
turbo's arent oil cooled so its really no big deal.

Do you believe the ecoboost also needs a turbo timer to run for 5-10 minutes whenever you park and shut it off? Because its lacking that feature also...

Reactions
Hi,
I didn't say cooling was an issue, but oil does lubricate the bearings while the turbos are cooling. I was implying that stopping the oil flow while the turbos are cooling can cause issues. And yes, I do allow my vehicle to cool down before I turn it off. I usually drive slowly when approaching my destination and let it idle for a few minutes too before shutting it off.
Cheers,
Ron

Reactions
Thanks all, I just ordered this! I can't stand it! My wifes BMW has a button that disables it until you reset it.

Reactions
Hi,
Cheers,
Ron
Hey BT I'm with you. Brought this topic up a while ago. One member said the turbos were water cooled. Not sure if that is right but respected his input. I like you let the turbos cool down much the same way you mentioned. historically I keep my vehicles well into 6 figures so turbo care is important.
Cheers

Reactions
Just ordered one myself. Welcome back got me a $15 discount.

OP
cillik
Reactions
Thread Starter #52
Installed in both ST & Platinum, very easy & quick.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
My sales guy had his tech disable Auto-Stop/Start and turn on Bambi mode with FDRS before I picked up my car. It’s worth asking if you’re on a name by name basis with your dealership.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Felt well enough today to install mud flaps and Auto Stop Delete module. I really didn’t feel up to crawling around in the foot well very long. That said, took all of 15 minutes, works as advertised.

Last edited:
Reactions
Hey BT I'm with you. Brought this topic up a while ago. One member said the turbos were water cooled. Not sure if that is right but respected his input. I like you let the turbos cool down much the same way you mentioned. historically I keep my vehicles well into 6 figures so turbo care is important.
Cheers
Ecoboost turbo's have all been liquid cooled as far as I know, including ours.

This isnt the 90's anymore. I dont think there is a single oil cooled only turbo out there on any production vehicle these days. Last ones I remember were on the Supra TT and the Eclipse/3000GT stuff...

Reactions
Ordered the eliminator Saturday, received it Monday and had it installed in 10 ish minutes. Work as it should in the driveway. Wife will test it out this week and if I'm good I might get to drive the ST this weekend.

Reactions
Ordered the eliminator Saturday, received it Monday and had it installed in 10 ish minutes. Work as it should in the driveway. Wife will test it out this week and if I'm good I might get to drive the ST this weekend.
What website and how much?

Reactions
Above site is were I got mine. I used promo code WELCOMEBACK for $15 off.
Thanks for the code, had to constantly press the brake hold on my Civic.. I don’t want to do that again on the ST.