Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone ordered their Explorer ST with the Thinkware Dashcam?

Reactions
Thinking about getting a dashcam soon, wondering if the Thinkware integrates better in our cars than aftermarket.
DTLACIN_136B520D-16BE-30A3-292F-5027292F5027.jpg

OP
OHST
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Hopefully someone has.

Reactions
I have this item in my cart. Would love to hear some feedback on this unit as well.

OP
OHST
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Been watching a couple of youtube videos and I would conclude the Thinkware dashcam is about a middle of the road video. It's definitely affordable over Blackvue.

Install doesn't look that difficult either

Jules

Reactions
I'm wondering also. Has anyone put up a cam?

Jules

Reactions
I have the BlackVue in mine.
Is it wired so you don't have the wires dangling for power? Which model do you use?

Reactions
Is it wired so you don't have the wires dangling for power? Which model do you use?
Right now I just have it plugged into the 12volt. I bought the DR900 but haven't wired up the rear camera yet.

Nmonj

Reactions
Does anyone know of a link to show how to hide front and rear camera with dedicated power? Where the clips are and such so you dont break something in the process?

Reactions
I have it and I have to say that I’m not real happy with it, especially for the price. I don’t think it was worth the money. Save your money and buy something different and probably cheaper.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just curious, what the purpose of the dash cam? Insurance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You can use the footage for accidents mainly, unless you live in a no-fault state. It can also be helpful for bogus police stops--ie. rolling stops, erroneous speeding citations, etc. I would highly recommend front and back cams.

GTP

Reactions
Front/rear dashcam is always in the top 5 of my recommended mods to anyone. They are more important than a radar detector for sure.

Parking behavior is very important feature to me. I put the Viofo A129 F/R in my Mustang and it has been great. Very smart parking modes, very automatic behavior. Cost is about $235 for the camera, parking power wire, polarizing lenses, remote button, install kit, etc. 128GB card ~$40 more.

I have yet to buy another one for the ST, but it is on the short list.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Front/rear dashcam is always in the top 5 of my recommended mods to anyone. They are more important than a radar detector for sure.

Parking behavior is very important feature to me. I put the Viofo A129 F/R in my Mustang and it has been great. Very smart parking modes, very automatic behavior. Cost is about $235 for the camera, parking power wire, polarizing lenses, remote button, install kit, etc. 128GB card ~$40 more.

I have yet to buy another one for the ST, but it is on the short list.
Sounds like a good system. Do you use it for anything other than a potential accident evidence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTP

Reactions
Dashcams have lots of uses.

Wife noticed a scratch on her bumper one Saturday morning. We had installed her cam 2 weeks earlier. We replayed the footage of her car parked at the restaurant the evening before. Sure enough, some guy backed his Mercedes into her car. You could see the video jerk a little at the moment of impact. We called the police to visit us, and showed him the video. Later that day he returned to give us the fellows info, and said he agreed to pay our $500 deductible. Got the bumper repainted.

So a good parking mode behavior is very important to us.

Recently we saw a pickup speeding by us and headed to a pedestrian crossing the walk up ahead. Nothing happened, but we would have had proof if something did!

Sometimes we replay some vacay footage. We laugh at what we said from the audio.

And of course, replaying video of when your car is in service either gives you reason to complain to the manager, or else have a really good laugh at what some of the service techs do or say. Good example is of a poor guy being chided by his mates because he couldn't get my Mustang shifter out of park. There are clues that it is a manual trans when in fact it is automatic with aftermarket shift lever.

There are endless uses.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I'm having a Blackvue DR900X+2ch (F&R) installed with backup battery for parking mode, LTE module for live view wifi connection, tamperproof case, and a lense.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Been running Blackvue for years and years. Pricey but they work and have excellent video quality. I also have it hardwired to a double battery backup with no wires showing. The two batteries gets me about 40+hrs of full recording when parked without draining the car battery.

I have used video evidence twice and it completely saved my butt. Without the video I would have had two at fault accidents. With the video the other guys paid all and my record stayed clean.