Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone get frustrated with people thinking you are a cop?

Reactions
So I am looking to by an ST and really like silver. My one hesitation is people thinking you are a cop and driving below the speed limit in front of you. Anyone with a silver ST that experiences this to the point where you wish you bought a different color?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
No...but mine looks nothing like a PIU coming at you. 38E77042-5507-4789-874A-0B4644FDAA0D.jpeg

SToked206

Reactions
I find people actually get out of my way rather than slow down in front of me. I dig it :) On the way home from the dealer I was chasing my wife, her in her RS and me in my ST. Must've looked like a police chase the way we were cutting through the light late-afternoon traffic :ROFLMAO:

Reactions
I got cop white! LOL! People actually move over for me. It’s great!!

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and good points you made. I think I will go with the silver and anytime I get frustrated on residential roads with people driving slow in front of me, I will just remember the times on the highway where people moved out of the left lane for me.

PhilBenton

Reactions
I've got an '07 Chevy Impala plain brown wrapper car. It used to make everyone get out of the way without effort. Not so much anymore. It'll be interesting to see what kind of response the Explorer gets, especially when I come up behind someone and do a quick double flash of the brights.

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
No

Reactions
It is kinda funny to see people in front of you slow down to EXACTLY the speed limit.....except when you need to get someplace quick.

Reactions
i live in Los Angeles, so people typically drive 80 around here.

KegsBdry

Reactions
A newer Dodge Challenger scat pack drove past me on the highway. I gunned it and caught up quickly behind his vehicle. He immediately pulled off to the right to let me pass.

Ran into him at the gas station down the road. He said he nearly $hit his pants when he saw me driving up quickly behind his vehicle. I drive a blacked out ST. It made my day.

Last edited:
Reactions
So I am looking to by an ST and really like silver. My one hesitation is people thinking you are a cop and driving below the speed limit in front of you. Anyone with a silver ST that experiences this to the point where you wish you bought a different color?
I never get tired of this. In fact, when I pull up to someone on the highway, they usually get out of my way pretty quickly. In the past, cars would just stay in the fast lane and not move. I gotta say, this is one of the best features of this car!!!

Reactions
Yes. It’s frustrating when you need to get somewhere in a hurry, and sometimes just when you’re having fun. Normally people in the Phoenix area drive,10-15 over the speed limit. But a couple years ago, Arizona Highway Patrol switched to silver Tahoes and Explorers. I have a silver ST. I didn’t think about it before hand, but now it is obvious. Most folks are oblivious when someone creeps up on them in the fast lane, but you can see panic setting in when they think I might be a trooper. They immediately slow down, and rarely bail to the right. In hindsight, I wish I found a Silver Spruce or an Atlas Blue ST spec’d like mine.

Last edited:

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just last week my wife and I were getting out of the ST in a parking lot and a guy walking by said "It's nice that the Sheriffs Department lets you use your car for personal use when off duty".

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Just last week my wife and I were getting out of the ST in a parking lot and a guy walking by said "It's nice that the Sheriffs Department lets you use your car for personal use when off duty".
That sounds fairly passive aggressive. I probably would've gotten shitty with them, but I am also really immature when it comes to people being passive aggressive. It drives me crazy. It's like they don't have the fortitude to say what they want and then try to walk back when you call them out.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I considered that. I'm not completely sure how he meant it, but he was an older guy, like me, and seemed more conversational than confrontational.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I considered that. I'm not completely sure how he meant it, but he was an older guy, like me, and seemed more conversational than confrontational.
This has happened twice to me too (people approach me after I stop). I don't take it as passive aggressive but a relief to them that I wasn't a cop when I road up on their rear bumper so quickly.

I can see them tense up in their rearview or drivers side mirrors. Oh, the simple joys in life.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
This has happened twice to me too (people approach me after I stop). I don't take it as passive aggressive but a relief to them that I wasn't a cop when I road up on their rear bumper so quickly.

I can see them tense up in their rearview or drivers side mirrors. Oh, the simple joys in life.
The funny thing is, mine is Rich Copper Metallic, and I have U.S. Merchant Marine decals on the rear side windows. I don't think it looks at all like a Law Enforcement vehicle.

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I have too many aftermarket toys to look like a police car!!

SpeedOften

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I get this a bit with the roof rack on black, people thinking the roof rack is a light bar.