Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Air Box Mods?

Reactions
not to go off topic too much, but it appears the FenFab is the suction piping AND the discharge piping whereas the aFe is only the suction piping, correct? In other words, FenFab replaces all of the OEM piping and the aFe only replaces the airbox and inlets on both turbochargers. @ron@whooshmotorsports can you confirm the aFe will or will not come with the the turbo discharge (pressurized) piping?

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...um-gt-cold-air-intake-system-2020-explorer-st
the afe intake is just that, an air intake system. Airbox plus 2 inlet tubes leading to the turbo inlets

intercooler pipes leading from the turbo compressor outlets to the intercooler inlet are not part of the afe kit

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
not to go off topic too much, but it appears the FenFab is the suction piping AND the discharge piping whereas the aFe is only the suction piping, correct? In other words, FenFab replaces all of the OEM piping and the aFe only replaces the airbox and inlets on both turbochargers. @ron@whooshmotorsports can you confirm the aFe will or will not come with the the turbo discharge (pressurized) piping?

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...um-gt-cold-air-intake-system-2020-explorer-st
I can already tell you the AFe doesn’t come with anything but the piping to the turbos. The FenFab charge pipes are not included with his intakes either. Those are extra pieces you can have him fabricate.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’d bet money the hot air those filters ingest will negate any possible benefits from the additional flow.
Maybe log IAT’s with those and throw the box back on to log them again…my guess is you’re doing more harm than good.

Reactions
I’d bet money the hot air those filters ingest will negate any possible benefits from the additional flow.
Maybe log IAT’s with those and throw the box back on to log them again…my guess is you’re doing more harm than good.

Nope, pre IC temp doesn't really matter and it's in front of the fan that blows air over it, snorkel is still functional.
I am looking at iat2 and Whipple IC does a good job.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yeah, my head says that just ain't so. An intercooler can only remove "X" amount of heat. It doesn't simply bring any charge down to a given temp regardless of the inlet temperature. I'm with UNBROKEN on this one. I'd bet dimes to donuts your inlet temp is higher using this set up than in the OE box. That said, you likely could flow more air assuming the engine needs it. I'm a believer that until you start doing significant mods, the OE box can provide enough air for minor mods.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
We can easily just do a bit of math. Let's assume the Whipple is 80% efficient (I don't know actual numbers). So just for grins, (and to make the math a bit easier), let's assume 100 degrees ambient. Since PV=nRT, and we'll also assume an 80% efficient compressor (it isn't), if we double the boost pressure we should roughly double the temp out of the compressor, except since the turbo isn't 100% efficient, temps would increase to approx 1.2 * 200 degrees (double input temp), or 240. The difference between that and ambient is 140 degrees. .80 (intercooler efficiency) * 140 = 112 which means intercooler out would be approx 240 - 112 or 128. Now doing the same exercise, but assuming input to the turbo is underhood air at thermostat temp or 180. Now temp out of turbo is 360 * 1.2 or 432. Factoring in the intercooler again diff is 332 * .8 = 266. 432 - 266 = 166.

Now, it's late and I've greatly simplified everything, but it definitely shows that input temps definitely have an impact on temps out of the intercooler. And no, I didn't take into account heat soak or the fact that the input temp of @CrankyPants might not be at 180.

Reactions
We can easily just do a bit of math. Let's assume the Whipple is 80% efficient (I don't know actual numbers). So just for grins, (and to make the math a bit easier), let's assume 100 degrees ambient. Since PV=nRT, and we'll also assume an 80% efficient compressor (it isn't), if we double the boost pressure we should roughly double the temp out of the compressor, except since the turbo isn't 100% efficient, temps would increase to approx 1.2 * 200 degrees (double input temp), or 240. The difference between that and ambient is 140 degrees. .80 (intercooler efficiency) * 140 = 112 which means intercooler out would be approx 240 - 112 or 128. Now doing the same exercise, but assuming input to the turbo is underhood air at thermostat temp or 180. Now temp out of turbo is 360 * 1.2 or 432. Factoring in the intercooler again diff is 332 * .8 = 266. 432 - 266 = 166.

Now, it's late and I've greatly simplified everything, but it definitely shows that input temps definitely have an impact on temps out of the intercooler. And no, I didn't take into account heat soak or the fact that the input temp of @CrankyPants might not be at 180.
Math...it's a beautiful thing.

Reactions

Ideal Gas Law FTW!!!! This guy has another thread about knock when accelerating after stopping. Hot inlet air temps will tend to cause knock and then your engine pulls timing.

Reactions
Ideal Gas Law FTW!!!! This guy has another thread about knock when accelerating after stopping. Hot inlet air temps will tend to cause knock and then your engine pulls timing.
100-120 is hot iat when stopped?
Have you seen the oats with stock IC?
Not says box woul not help, but haven't had time to make it yet.
Assum it'll drop another 10+ degree on a hot day.
Problem is, the under hood heat has nowhere to go, wented hood would do wonders.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #33

And people say you’ll never use this stuff in real life. This is gold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
No, opening this air box will not give you more power. DP and / or IC will be a much better dollar per gain than an intake on this platform, especially if you are on stock turbo and fuel system. Just drop in a high flow filter.
Well hi Flo filter actually increase horsepower?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Well hi Flo filter actually increase horsepower?
If and only if you are tapping the limit of what the original equipment filter can flow. Chances are pretty good that is only a feel-good modification.

Scotty_ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Did this.
Stock air box is tiny and restricts a lot of flow and both intake sides fight over one area.
I know this is an old thread, but do you have any sound clips ?

Manuich1

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Did this.
Stock air box is tiny and restricts a lot of flow and both intake sides fight over one area.
I dig the set up. Everyone is gonna have a negative opinion on this. Not sure why, there are similar set ups like this on alot of builds cars out there. BMW's, Nissans, etc. Rock on with ya bad self.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I dig the set up. Everyone is gonna have a negative opinion on this. Not sure why, there are similar set ups like this on alot of builds cars out there. BMW's, Nissans, etc. Rock on with ya bad self.
Everyone had a negative opinion because it’s a demonstrably bad idea on this car. Underhood temps are higher than I’ve ever seen…open filters sitting on one of the hottest places under the hood is not a good idea…period.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
People that think open filters sitting on top of this motor are a good idea probably also think there are more than 2 genders.