Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Air Box Mods?

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Has anyone modified the stock air box? I was reading some other threads and noticed one post mentioned that opening the box led to increased power on the dyno. Other comments stated the stock box was a good design to begin with. Thoughts?

Yes I’m trying to escape paying $600 for a CAI. I want to put that $$ into DP and IC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
No, opening this air box will not give you more power. DP and / or IC will be a much better dollar per gain than an intake on this platform, especially if you are on stock turbo and fuel system. Just drop in a high flow filter.

Reactions
No, opening this air box will not give you more power. DP and / or IC will be a much better dollar per gain than an intake on this platform, especially if you are on stock turbo and fuel system. Just drop in a high flow filter.
what he said...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The backstory is…someone was on a dyno and took off the top of the airbox and picked up about 15HP…so yes opening it up can make more power. Now doing that anywhere but a dyno doesn’t make sense but still…it made more power on back to back pulls.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
The backstory is…someone was on a dyno and took off the top of the airbox and picked up about 15HP…so yes opening it up can make more power. Now doing that anywhere but a dyno doesn’t make sense but still…it made more power on back to back pulls.
I’m going to be that guy and ask. Thoughts on drilling some holes in the air box? Benefit vs risk?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You have a nice airflow coming from the snorkus. Why defeat that with drilled holes which removes both any pressurization (minimal) and allows for higher temp underhood air?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Agreed. Don’t add holes.

Reactions
Has anyone modified the stock air box? I was reading some other threads and noticed one post mentioned that opening the box led to increased power on the dyno. Other comments stated the stock box was a good design to begin with. Thoughts?

Yes I’m trying to escape paying $600 for a CAI. I want to put that $$ into DP and IC.

Does beg the question if a CAI is worth the money for what you gain from it.
Seems the community is torn between buying one or not.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You already have a cold air intake. The only reason for buying something else would be to decrease pressure drop to the turbos. That can be done by either a less restrictive air filter, or increasing the surface area of the filter. The former can be done with a performance filter, the latter with an alternative airbox with a much larger filter. The FenFab offering has a nice "cool" factor, but ask these questions: Is the conical air filter that it uses any less restrictive? Does it offer a greater surface area? Is it nicely sealed to the snorkus to maximize pressurization from the grill and to minimize hot under hood air?

Reactions
You already have a cold air intake. The only reason for buying something else would be to decrease pressure drop to the turbos. That can be done by either a less restrictive air filter, or increasing the surface area of the filter. The former can be done with a performance filter, the latter with an alternative airbox with a much larger filter. The FenFab offering has a nice "cool" factor, but ask these questions: Is the conical air filter that it uses any less restrictive? Does it offer a greater surface area? Is it nicely sealed to the snorkus to maximize pressurization from the grill and to minimize hot under hood air?
So basically what you're saying is we don't really need an aftermarket CAI to replace the one we already have but with minor changes such as a performance filter or alternative air box with larger filter we can achieve the same results?
I have no idea tbh but you seem to know enough to at least warrant the question I raised previously.
Other than making money, what would be the benefit for a company to make an aftermarket CAI then?
Tks.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So basically what you're saying is we don't really need an aftermarket CAI to replace the one we already have but with minor changes such as a performance filter or alternative air box with larger filter we can achieve the same results?
I have no idea tbh but you seem to know enough to at least warrant the question I raised previously.
Other than making money, what would be the benefit for a company to make an aftermarket CAI then?
Tks.
As to your first question- I'm not saying that an aftermarket part might not be more effective. Only stating what you would look for in order for that item to enhance performance.
A far as your second question...huh?

Reactions
As to your first question- I'm not saying that an aftermarket part might not be more effective. Only stating what you would look for in order for that item to enhance performance.
A far as your second question...huh?
I'm just saying that there has to be enough there for a company to make an aftermarket performance part and a market who will buy it for them to even put the time and effort into making it.
There has to be more in it than making some money so if minor changes can achieve similar results what would be the point of making a $600 CAI.
I mean I'm on the fence because up here in Canada the cost for a CAI with shipping is around $800 plus labour which is probably 2hrs @ $150 per hour so another $300 = approx $1100 if my math works lol.
I guess to each their own but if I can slap in a AFE or K&N air filter for $50 and save at least 1k I'm all for it. i just see many say an aftermarket CAI is a waste of money but then others say it isn't so bad.
I guess I'll wait to hear what gains people get from the aftermarket CAI. Aside from the small increase in HP, I'd hope the engine will make much more roar.
The V8's do..SRT/hell cats Chargers, Trackhawks all gain amazing whine noise with aftermarket CAI's.
If only Ford would throw in the V8 5L Coyote again...we can dream right haha.

Reactions
Manufacturers make stuff because people will buy it. Dyno claims can have some funny variables involved that lend to "increased" HP and TQ values. No doubt the AFE or FF intake can make gains, but on THIS platform those gains won't be maximized until you upgrade the turbochargers and really increase the mass airflow through the intake. People will buy various parts solely for sound improvement or aesthetics. The majority of factory intake systems do have sound dampening or deadening designs built in because let's face it, the majority of ST buyers are soccer moms and the prefer things to be on the quiet side.

All of this said I give FenFab some major props for actually showing the increased airflow capability and IAT results of his intake. Definitely an intake I would consider, especially if thinking about upgrading turbochargers. Details of the airflow and IAT in the High Performance ST FB page.

Regarding the cost, DIY the installs brother!!!!!

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's been stated on this forum in scores of threads....If you're looking to enhance performance, get a tune. Period. The absolute best bang-for-the buck. Once you have that in place, then you can spend money on other things. Be very skeptical of manufacturers quoting hp figures of their products. Unless of course you just enjoy buying presents for your car.

Reactions
It's been stated on this forum in scores of threads....If you're looking to enhance performance, get a tune. Period. The absolute best bang-for-the buck. Once you have that in place, then you can spend money on other things. Be very skeptical of manufacturers quoting hp figures of their products. Unless of course you just enjoy buying presents for your car.
This 100%, along with the upgraded intercooler will get you the fastest 3-row SUV in your zip code.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m getting the AFe just because I like the looks of it. If there’s any tangible benefit that’ll just be a bonus. I’m trying to not be embarrassed every time I open the hood. lol

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
I’m getting the AFe just because I like the looks of it. If there’s any tangible benefit that’ll just be a bonus. I’m trying to not be embarrassed every time I open the hood. lol
It definitely looks cool.

Theres a molding line or something on the top of the stock air box. I’m going to cut it out and JB weld some plexiglass there. Lol

I’ll probably end up getting it next year. After the other recommended mods are complete.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Looking at the two designs (FebFab vs AFe), it wouldn't even be a choice of which I would purchase- AFe.

Reactions
not to go off topic too much, but it appears the FenFab is the suction piping AND the discharge piping whereas the aFe is only the suction piping, correct? In other words, FenFab replaces all of the OEM piping and the aFe only replaces the airbox and inlets on both turbochargers. @ron@whooshmotorsports can you confirm the aFe will or will not come with the the turbo discharge (pressurized) piping?

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...um-gt-cold-air-intake-system-2020-explorer-st

EDIT: Updated FenFab is suction piping only, discharge piping is adder.

Last edited: