Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Acceleration lag after Intercooler install

Reactions
So to clear the air on my end, after several 5star tune revisions, I’m very confident the lag in my case is tune related as the truck is now a rocket out of the gate. I cant speak to running with stock cooler, but Ive done like 20+ back to back runs many times with almost no cool off period btwn runs and the heat soak is like nonexistent with the Whipple.

Now that you mention it, I also haven’t heard the whine in a very long time either.

Zim

Reactions
I’ve always thought the ST sounded similar to a supercharger it’s just the belt and you’re probably just now noticing it since your last mod if I had to guess.

Reactions
So to clear the air on my end, after several 5star tune revisions, I’m very confident the lag in my case is tune related as the truck is now a rocket out of the gate. I cant speak to running with stock cooler, but Ive done like 20+ back to back runs many times with almost no cool off period btwn runs and the heat soak is like nonexistent with the Whipple.

Now that you mention it, I also haven’t heard the whine in a very long time either.
So it sounds like 5star fixed the issue?

Reactions

Very nice!

Thank you for updating!

As far as lag, the completely stock ST has about 1-1.5 seconds of lag if you just jack the throttle with no two footing on a dead stop launch, so that's normal in my experience. If that is exactly how it is after the Whipple install, then it would be no different than stock with the Whipple, which is great news as far as lag.

Glad to hear a tune gets it all ironed out!

Reactions
Personal update.

No lag/noises or issues after Whipple IC install here. I ran it with the stock tune and it drives exactly the same as stock on takeoff/ect. Install was straightforward and fitment was great.