Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Acceleration lag after Intercooler install

Reactions
Hey All,

Installed Whipple front mount yesterday and noticed some weird stuff afterward. On the first drive after the install I noticed a whine like from a supercharger. Whine was only under acceleration and lasted about 30 seconds then didn’t hear it again. For the next 10 pulls or so I noticed a lag in acceleration when I first mashed the gas followed by normal/maybe quicker acceleration. Lag is only when I slam the gas, normal driving unaffected. I made sure all connections were super tight before buttoning back up. Any thoughts? Dreading ripping everything back apart again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
Hey All,

Installed Whipple front mount yesterday and noticed some weird stuff afterward. On the first drive after the install I noticed a whine like from a supercharger. Whine was only under acceleration and lasted about 30 seconds then didn’t hear it again. For the next 10 pulls or so I noticed a lag in acceleration when I first mashed the gas followed by normal/maybe quicker acceleration. Lag is only when I slam the gas, normal driving unaffected. I made sure all connections were super tight before buttoning back up. Any thoughts? Dreading ripping everything back apart again.

Update. Checked under the hood and noticed the passenger side hose wasn’t flush up against the IC collar. Loosened the clamps and pulled flush/tightened. No more lag! What would you call why was happening? Boost leak? The odd thing is that the ST still whines for the first cold pull after sitting for several hours. That has me potentially concerned as I know whine+turbo typically isn’t good. With that being said I read another thread on here speaking to whine and folks chalked it up as being ok.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Yep...it only takes a small boost leak to screw things up.

Reactions
Soo... I have a bit of supercharger whine coming from mine but I chalked it up to having disabled FENG and could hear the engine more. I do have the same lag you mention when mashing the gas. Almost like 2 seconds of "are you sure you want to haul a@@ right now? Ok, you're still flooring it so here we go" lol. I chalked that up to having installed a new 5-star tune a couple days after whipple IC install and the top end is scary fast so I figured their tune was the culprit. I am going to take a look at my connections soon and hope I have the same issue.

Reactions
Update: checked all hose connections on both driver & pass. sides and everything looks good. The connections directly at the Whipple are nearly flush but for the metal retaining clip that rests on the hose clamp. Either way, there is plenty of IC tube going into the rubber connecting boot for there to be a secure connection.

Now I'm stumped. Any ideas?!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Assuming all your fittings are correct, that Whipple IC has what- 3-4 times the volume of the factory IC? Based on past experience I would definitely expect a bit more lag in the lower RPM ranges. It's definitely hard to check for leaks at idle since you can't really build boost even if you have a spray bottle of detergent/leak detect. However, the fact that you mention a "whining" sound makes me think you still have a boost leak somewhere.

Reactions
Update: checked all hose connections on both driver & pass. sides and everything looks good. The connections directly at the Whipple are nearly flush but for the metal retaining clip that rests on the hose clamp. Either way, there is plenty of IC tube going into the rubber connecting boot for there to be a secure connection.

Now I'm stumped. Any ideas?!
I'd go right to 5*.

Reactions
Gunna try 93 daily driver, 87 daily dr, and stock tune to see if lag present across the board. If it is, then its either normal or ive got prollly got a leak somewhere i guess

Reactions
Did you get a tune revision for the intercooler? Sounds like you need to recalibrate the wastegates for the added flow and less restriction.

Reactions
The initial tune i got was supposed to account for intercooler...

Reactions
have you datalogged to ensure no boost leaks after the install?

Reactions
have you datalogged to ensure no boost leaks after the install?
No. I havent data logged with the new software yet and 5Star doesnt require it (although I would prefer they did). The last time i datalogged was using MPVI1 and VCM scanner/editor. Is there a way to check for boost leaks in RTD flasher datalogging software/

Reactions
yes, the datalogging process is the same as with the MVPI1. I'd definitely recommend datalogging to see if you can see a variance between TIP commanded and TIP actual. That mixed with high fuel trims could indicate a leak.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
yes, the datalogging process is the same as with the MVPI1. I'd definitely recommend datalogging to see if you can see a variance between TIP commanded and TIP actual. That mixed with high fuel trims could indicate a leak.
I haven't seen what type of data channels you can access as I'm not familiar with that tuner. However, depending on the placement of the boost pressure sensor (before of after the throttle body) you might not be able to discern anything from the fuel trims. If you have the right data, you could try to look at boost pressure vs wastegate duty cycle against another vehicle, or previous logs if available.

Reactions
This is the channel list we use for HPTuners. Load this into VCMScanner, sync with your vehicle and start recording.

This is how I typically set my graphs.

Screenshot 2021-03-04 001544.png

Attachments

Reactions
Was this problem ever solved? I'm considering the Whipple IC, but agree that perhaps the sheer volume of it would be an issue with lag.

mdallas

Reactions
This is the channel list we use for HPTuners. Load this into VCMScanner, sync with your vehicle and start recording.

This is how I typically set my graphs.
Does this log show a boost loss?

Reactions
Read the second post
I did.

The 'whine' noise was never resolved that I can see.

Nor was Blaster9's lag issue, which he checked for boost leaks.

Am I missing something?

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
I did.

The 'whine' noise was never resolved that I can see.

Nor was Blaster9's lag issue, which he checked for boost leaks.

Am I missing something?
Copy, just saw you were talking about Blaster9’s. Initial guy was good not sure about the other.

Explorer ST Posts