Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

6 Faults and AWD Module

hbalek

Reactions
How many miles was on your explorer when you took it in for service. My service advisor mentioned 36,000 miles. But my ford pass and ford website says warranty is good for until December 2024 or 60,000 miles. What exactly expires at 36,000? I thought 36,000 miles was for bumper to bumper protection. And powertrain was 60,000 miles
Powertrain is 5 years, 60K miles.

Norvgen

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
How many miles was on your explorer when you took it in for service. My service advisor mentioned 36,000 miles. But my ford pass and ford website says warranty is good for until December 2024 or 60,000 miles. What exactly expires at 36,000? I thought 36,000 miles was for bumper to bumper protection. And powertrain was 60,000 miles
I am retired so I only have 10,000 miles on my explorer. I bring it in for service once a year for oil change. I had the transmission fluid changed made a huge difference in my shifting. I live in Arizona and it was heating up, so I brought it in for a coolant system Flush and no heating up now. I put the Fenfab hot side pipes in and after I installed them I had the four-wheel-drive module go out. With my extended warranty since it’s over three years old, it was all covered.

marverure

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thank you. I honestly think that they were more interested in trying to get the car from us. They tried getting my wife into a brand new edge platinum and we’re almost successful.
I'm going through this right now.
4WD Fault Service Required
Hill Start Assist Not available
Pre-Collision Assist Not available
Service AdvanceTrak
Drive Modes Not Available
Auto Hold System Fault
Reverse Brake Assist not available

And the dealership has messaged and called me several times letting me know my VIN has been flagged as part of their unique vehicle list and my value has increased. They're interested in buying it back.

I had to have my APIM module replaced and of course outside the bumper to bumper warranty. Good thing I had extended warranty or that would have been over 2K.

Car is currently at the dealer for the codes with a $220 diagnostic fee. I love my car but with the electrical issues and now this i'm wondering if it's a lemon.

hbalek

Reactions
This should be under powertrain as mine was. I had ESP but it wasn't necessary and no charge for diag or deductible. 42k miles.

Last edited:
Reactions
Had similar issue last year. Turned out be electronic control modules for the trans and the collision control sensors. All covered under warranty but it took months back in 2022 to get the parts due to chip shortage. First check the battery. They only last 3 years and if not able to hold full power, there will be issues.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer Platinum
Service AdvanceTrak
Auto Hold System Fault

The dealership has messaged and called me several times, letting me know my VIN has been flagged as part of their unique vehicle list, and my value has increased. They're interested in buying it back.

I had to have my APIM module replaced and, of course, outside the bumper to bumper warranty. Good thing I had an extended warranty, or that would have been over 2K.

The car is currently at the dealer for the codes with a $220 diagnostic fee. I love my car, but with the electrical issues, and now this i'm wondering if it's a lemon.
Just as Hbalek said it does fall under the basic 60k basic powertrain warranty. As you see in my receipt from the Ford dealership Service. They fixed my CATALYTIC Converter, Axle boot, Differential, and front axle speed sensor. And was given a loaner. All at no charge.

Now That's what I call customer satisfaction. Keeping the consumer happy. Ford standing by there work

Attachments

marverure

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Just as Hbalek said it does fall under the basic 60k basic powertrain warranty. As you see in my receipt from the Ford dealership Service. They fixed my CATALYTIC Converter, Axle boot, Differential, and front axle speed sensor. And was given a loaner. All at no charge.

Now That's what I call customer satisfaction. Keeping the consumer happy. Ford standing by there work
Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. They couldn't finish the diagnostic today and will continue tomorrow. Dealership said they would buyback for 36500. It would cover what I owe but basically I would break even. If it's covered and I can get a loaner I'd rather go that route for now.

Dealership confirmed that all the 2023 ST Explorers are on the lot and can't be sold due to an open recall on their 360 rear camera. The sales consultant that was helping me even said my explorer has been in the service department for almost half the time I've had it. Of course there is nothing comparable on the lot and downgrading doesn't feel right. I love my ST I just hate the problems.

I'm going to bring this info to them tomorrow and push for a loaner. You are all awesome, glad I found this forum.

Norvgen

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Service AdvanceTrak
Auto Hold System Fault

And the dealership has messaged and called me several times letting me know my VIN has been flagged as part of their unique vehicle list and my value has increased. They're interested in buying it back.

I had to have my APIM module replaced and of course outside the bumper to bumper warranty. Good thing I had extended warranty or that would have been over 2K.

Car is currently at the dealer for the codes with a $220 diagnostic fee. I love my car but with the electrical issues and now this i'm wondering if it's a lemon.
I don’t know what to say man. They didn’t charge me a diagnostics fee and I had the same codes on mine when they replace the four-wheel-drive module they all went away. Done under warranty. Good luck.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Finally!! I've been trying to find other ppl with this Similar issue. My 2022 ST has about 33k. Randomly one day I go to start it and she hits me with: ADVANCETRAC fail TC fail RearPark fail Aid HillDescent fail ABS fail Electric ParkBrk fail POWER STEERING FAILURE, and Lost function of blinkers, High Beams all steering wheel buttons...ALL FAILED. really...wtf. also engine stalls when D or R is selected.
Took me almost 3days to troubleshoot as I dont have an obd2 scanner and very limited resources only a multimeter and hand tools(Phone broke day before)....FASTFORWARD》》 wire harness under the battery housing from the ECU through the firewall on passenger side was close to destroyed. Looks like it's very easy for chipmunks/small animals to enter this compartment and chew everything to shit. I'm splicing the wires back together enough to drive either to scrape yard or dealer for hopefully a replacement vehicle, maybe a 24'...just crazy amounts of problems with this vehicle since I put 5k on it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I started my ST up this morning and got all the faults! Was fine when I parked it last night! Seemed to drive ok except when I went to back in at home. Felt like it was stuck in 4WD. Guess I'm going to the dealer today. Sucks it's just out of warranty and I'm in the middle of having my tune dialed in. Is it ok to drive it to the dealer like this?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I started my ST up this morning and got all the faults! Was fine when I parked it last night! Seemed to drive ok except when I went to back in at home. Felt like it was stuck in 4WD. Guess I'm going to the dealer today. Sucks it's just out of warranty and I'm in the middle of having my tune dialed in. Is it ok to drive it to the dealer like this?
I'd recommend getting a Forscan setup ASAP. If you are out of warranty, dealers can charge a diagnostic fee and you will also have a heads up on the problem at hand. I personally like the OBDLink MX+ with Forscan Lite iOS.

Reactions
Vehicle
I used Forscan on my 07 Ranger but my Mongoose Pro2 won't connect for some reason. I took it to my mechanic and he told me it appears that the acuator is stuck and does not seem to be communicating with the module. He feels confident he can trace it down and fix it even though it is a newer vehicle but I'm bringing it to Ford. It has 35K so the Powertrain warranty is still good. Hopefully they don't look for the tune and deny me!

hbalek

Reactions
Mine was under powertrain warranty at about 40K miles so repair was free of charge. I also bought a 4 year extension of the bumper to bumper warranty a year ago, up to 7 year/84K miles.

Reactions
Vehicle
I just bought the OBDLink for Forscan. I took it in and the guy at service said if it is the 4WD module it’s covered by Ford. Can’t take it in until next Wednesday though! I wish I could get it out of 4WD somehow. I can feel the wheels slipping whenever I make a tight turn. Not good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbalek

Reactions
I just bought the OBDLink for Forscan. I took it in and the guy at service said if it is the 4WD module it’s covered by Ford. Can’t take it in until next Wednesday though! I wish I could get it out of 4WD somehow. I can feel the wheels slipping whenever I make a tight turn. Not good!

Mine had the same alerts but it was the half-shaft speed sensor. Either way it should be powertrain. Same goes for the leaking CV boot.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

I'd try Forscan. Run service procedures to reset AWD module and PCM. worth a try anyways....

Reactions
Vehicle
I reset everything, ran the tests on the AWD (which came back ok) went for a drive. Still stuck in 4WD and the alerts all came back. I guess I'll just have to wait until I bring it in. I'll post the results when I have them.

Reactions
I had the same faults and it ended up being an issue with the transfer case. Replaced under warranty and has been good ever since.

Reactions
Vehicle
I was driving this morning and the lights just went out! The car with skid marks and the wrench lights. I was able to switch drive modes to. However, I tried taking a corner real short and could feel it's still stuck in AWD. Didn't last though. I went in to get a coffee and when I started it up all the warnings came back up and the lights are back on. :(

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer Platinum
Finally!! I've been trying to find other ppl with this Similar issue. My 2022 ST has about 33k. Randomly one day I go to start it and she hits me with: ADVANCETRAC fail TC fail RearPark fail Aid HillDescent fail ABS fail Electric ParkBrk fail POWER STEERING FAILURE, and Lost function of blinkers, High Beams all steering wheel buttons...ALL FAILED. really...wtf. also engine stalls when D or R is selected.
Took me almost 3days to troubleshoot as I dont have an obd2 scanner and very limited resources only a multimeter and hand tools(Phone broke day before)....FASTFORWARD》》 wire harness under the battery housing from the ECU through the firewall on passenger side was close to destroyed. Looks like it's very easy for chipmunks/small animals to enter this compartment and chew everything to shit. I'm splicing the wires back together enough to drive either to scrape yard or dealer for hopefully a replacement vehicle, maybe a 24'...just crazy amounts of problems with this vehicle since I put 5k on it.
Ford should replace everything for you and give you a loaner. Fixing on cars is going to be very skeptical in the up coming future. As we know auto strike is still going on. As everything does the ripple effect.

animals could be chewing your wires. Or your wires was exposed to high heat. Or carrying to much voltage. I had the same problem. With a different car in my younger years. Had to add Resistors

Last edited: