Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

418 hp 3.0L Bronco Raptor is slowwwwwww ...

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Yeah, I know it's built for off road and it weighs 5,750 lbs.

But it's still too slow.

Edmunds Test

Untitled.jpg

Untitledd.jpg

Reactions
Cant wait to see how the Bronco Raptor drivers compare to the F-150 Raptor drivers

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Looks like Ford has built a heavier, slower version of a Jeep Mall Crawler.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
My V8 2014 Raptor had Whipple stage 2 with throttle body and was still slow as a turtle. They weigh a lot I think 7K pounds, and 37" tires dont help any. My buddys stock 6.2 GMC I think same year was a hair slower then the Raptor.
I added 20" wheels and toyo MTs that pretty much sucked up all the power the whipple added. Damn toyos were 100LBs each plus wider and taller.

Reactions
It's advertised as a high performance, high speed off-road vehicle. Put that Jeep 392 next to the Bronco Raptor in a high speed off-road course and we will see who comes out on top of that one.

The Bronco Raptor isn't built or advertised for 0-60 times.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Advertising it as an off-road vehicle won't change the fact that most of them will never see sand or dirt.

For the few that do go off-road, the trip getting there is going to be slowwwwww ...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
In the grand scheme of things a stock Explorer ST is slow as well. The Bronco will wake up just as easily as the ST with a lot of the same mods.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
37's are not designed to be drag race tiers. The thing is built for desert running, not the skid pad. The Bronco will outpace the Jeep all day in the dirt. If you want slow crawling, get the jeep.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I don't think it seems that slow to me- I mean, what do you want out of a 3 ton "off-road" vehicle? If someone is buying this for 0-60 times, they're buying the wrong vehicle. The Rubicon is pretty surprising in terms of performance.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I don't think it seems that slow to me- I mean, what do you want out of a 3 ton "off-road" vehicle? If someone is buying this for 0-60 times, they're buying the wrong vehicle. The Rubicon is pretty surprising in terms of performance.
I agree but people buy thing for all kinds of reasons. I say the same thing when I see MPG threads here or LOL specially in the track hawk forms.
Just me and what I see, people like the way the Bronco looks or in my case the Raptor (truck) so we buy them. I never even went on a dirt road in my Raptor but it looked cool. Id never buy a Corvette but I love the performance they have. Id bet more Raptor owners and Corvette owners never use them what they are for. They just like the looks or Style.This is true story when the C-6 ZR1 came out I said F it I am buying one. I went on the corvette forms to learn a bit about them and all I seen were threads about what car matts and what types of wax they used no one not a single post about 1/4 mile times or lap times nothing. These people just wanted them for looks or maybe status not sure but none were for racing and its a race car. Just my opinion but most are just going to and from work with a car they like the looks of and wish they were faster from light to light.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Well said RocketW19.

It's like saying my Raptor is slow cause it is the old V8 and does not drag race well compared to boosted trucks. Especially not with 37's as the unsprung weight is ridiculous. Thought I did some modifications as attached. Even with gearing I only gained 3% in torque. The difference is how you use it. 98% of people buy the vehicle and never use it as it is advertised. And there is nothing wrong with that, buy what you want.

New Raptor and Bronco on 37s add a lot more unsprung weight. Drop them to 35's and it feels like a whole new vehicle.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
In the grand scheme of things a stock Explorer ST is slow as well. The Bronco will wake up just as easily as the ST with a lot of the same mods.
What notion "grand scheme " are you speaking of, and why do you persist in referencing it?

37's are not designed to be drag race tiers. The thing is built for desert running, not the skid pad. The Bronco will outpace the Jeep all day in the dirt. If you want slow crawling, get the jeep.
It's built for "desert running," when the only thing 99% of people are going to do with it is grocery store running. Lol

Looks like Ford has built a heavier, slower version of a Jeep Mall Crawler.
Well stated bmidd. Well thought out comments always come from Chattanooga, TN.

It's like saying that FORD didn't know a heavier vehicle needed more than just 18 more hp to offset it's weight and still feel quick. Not like some people who are always using the same tired excuse about tire height/weight. That gets boring fast.

New Raptor and Bronco shouldn't have to be concerned about whatever tire size they have. Drop the excuses is what people need to do.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
you laugh but I have gone to Raptor owners and asked them if they like to join us for desert runs and they were offended I even asked to take it off-road.

So yea they are a lot of curb crawlers as we call them HAHA.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
What notion "grand scheme " are you speaking of, and why do you persist in referencing it?
In the grand scheme of sporty vehicles…it’s barely sporty. You can make it sporty…but the ST is a pretty boring car in stock form.

Reactions
In the grand scheme of sporty vehicles…it’s barely sporty. You can make it sporty…but the ST is a pretty boring car in stock form.
I think you need to assume the vast majority of ST owners came from minivans, I think that is especially true of the facebook groups. That goes for performance of the engine and audio "system"....

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I wouldn't call a stock ST boring. The test drive is what got me to buy one. Having said that, it is not what I would consider a performance vehicle in stock form. Fortunately that can be improved upon(y)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Well said RocketW19.

It's like saying my Raptor is slow cause it is the old V8 and does not drag race well compared to boosted trucks. Especially not with 37's as the unsprung weight is ridiculous. Thought I did some modifications as attached. Even with gearing I only gained 3% in torque. The difference is how you use it. 98% of people buy the vehicle and never use it as it is advertised. And there is nothing wrong with that, buy what you want.

New Raptor and Bronco on 37s add a lot more unsprung weight. Drop them to 35's and it feels like a whole new vehicle.
Damn that’s long travel suspension I bet that fun

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #18
I think you need to assume the vast majority of ST owners came from minivans, I think that is especially true of the facebook groups. That goes for performance of the engine and audio "system"....
I wonder how many ST owners like myself came from sports cars (Mustang GT's) and sports sedans (Taurus SHO, Stinger GT, etc.).

And I experienced the sound systems in all of those vehicles:
  • the base ST sound system crushes the base SHO
  • it matches the base Stinger GT
  • it's a notch under the Premium Sound System in the Mustang GT
I wouldn't call a stock ST boring. The test drive is what got me to buy one. Having said that, it is not what I would consider a performance vehicle in stock form. Fortunately that can be improved upon(y)
Considering its 4,850 lb weight, I definitely consider the ST a performance vehicle.

0-100 mph in 13.3 sec
0-140 mph in 35.0 sec
50–70 mph in 3.8 sec
Top Speed ~150 mph

Yeah, it'll do just fine.:cool:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Top speed stock is 143…not 150

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
What did I just read? Lol