Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 IC Upgrade - Rivets underneathe

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST (AWD)
My 2022 has the rivets under the front end curious to know if you are replacing the rivets, adding screws or just simply taking them out and now worrying about it?

this is what the rivets look like (took this snapshot from someone online)

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 10.45.38 AM.png

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's been covered. Search "rivets", "intercooler".

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I put rivets back in because it is cheap to do but some others do nothing.

OP
Liver
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST (AWD)
Thread Starter #4
It's been covered. Search "rivets", "intercooler".
Thank you @TMac - i feel dumb now

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
@Liver No need to feel dumb, you're new to the site. Occasionally new-joiners get someone to just answer them straight out, but depending on the subject, it's best to try a search to get more opinions.

This isn't intended for you, but people who have been on the site for a few years do get a bit tired of answering the same questions again and again. Especially when the questioner doesn't like the answer and starts to argue with them!

Another tip: The built-in search on this site does have some limitations, especially with words under 4 characters. Of course, a lot of acronyms in the automotive industry are exactly that! So you can go to google and do the same search, just include "explorer ST" or "explorerst.org" in the search. That'll get you around the built-in search limits.

Reactions
Not completely necessary, but I personally drilled the holes out one size larger and then installed M5 stainless nutserts in the holes so I can add stainless screws.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
@Liver No need to feel dumb, you're new to the site. Occasionally new-joiners get someone to just answer them straight out, but depending on the subject, it's best to try a search to get more opinions.

This isn't intended for you, but people who have been on the site for a few years do get a bit tired of answering the same questions again and again. Especially when the questioner doesn't like the answer and starts to argue with them!

Another tip: The built-in search on this site does have some limitations, especially with words under 4 characters. Of course, a lot of acronyms in the automotive industry are exactly that! So you can go to google and do the same search, just include "explorer ST" or "explorerst.org" in the search. That'll get you around the built-in search limits.

type this into your browser.

site:explorerst.org intercooler rivets

works for just about any website just replace explorerst.org to something different

Reactions
I drilled mine and left them out. Jesus is holding in the bottom part now and he's been doing a great job for over a year.

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I talk about installing rev nuts here on my 2022.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hey there! I totally get what you mean about those rivets on the front end of your 2022 model. From the snapshot you shared, they do seem quite prominent. Honestly, it's a personal choice whether to replace them, add screws, or remove them altogether. Some people prefer the clean look without any rivets, while others find them to be a nice touch.
This is a bot.

LuxST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I put rivets back in because it is cheap to do but some others do nothing.
what size are the rivets? I plan on just replacing the rivets as well since I have a gun already.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Was going to ask what FMIC you went with. My mishimoto had replacements for the rivets you drilled out. Plastic push tabs to use after you put everything back together.

Like others said, it's not a huge deal. Hope you didn't sweat too much getting it back together.