Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SLD 2022 Explorer Platinum ST

Reactions
@UNBROKEN, @TMac, @2PAC ,Thanks for the feedback. I will be taking a loss. The only question is how much of a loss. :ROFLMAO:
I've been considering posting it on BaT, Cars and Bids, classifieds and the various Explorer forums/groups. Worst case scenario, I sell the wheels, exhaust and under the hood mods separately. I've got time. Likely be at least a month or two, if not longer, before I take possession of the Durango.
Thanks again :geek:
Off topic but you end up going with the srt durango or the durango hellcat?

Reactions
With the bad ass Kitty

Considering that at stock, used 22 Platinums are going for $55-60k, what is the general consensus as to what it's worth as it sits?
Maybe a year ago or more that was true but nowadays, you can get new fully loaded 22/23 AWD Platinums in that price range.

Market's for used and new cars are going back to what they were just with a higher APR if you're getting a loan. At least thats the verdict around me

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Thread Starter #23
'23 Durango Hellcat :devilish: Explorer is dubbes "Black Panther" and the Hellcat will be "Black Widow" Thought it would be fitting. I've already got some fun plans for her.

Reactions
1. No such thing as a Platinum ST no matter how hard you try to spin it. You have a Platinum, end of discussion.
2. $80k....yeah, be ready to get $60k max offers. Problem is most people will need a loan and nobody is going to give this LTV a shot. Anyone with $80k cash to burn is looking at something else.
3. What happened to your 10 second build plans?
4. Man, put some effort in. One low angle pic?

You are much better off parting out the aftermarket parts, assuming you still have stock parts.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #25
1. No such thing as a Platinum ST no matter how hard you try to spin it. You have a Platinum, end of discussion.
Spot on, brother. Thanks for sharing.

2. $80k....yeah, be ready to get $60k max offers. Problem is most people will need a loan and nobody is going to give this LTV a shot. Anyone with $80k cash to burn is looking at something else.
You're probably not wrong. I'm ready for that eventuality.Time will tell.

3. What happened to your 10 second build plans?
As mentioned in my build thread, I came to realize, that though I may be able to squeeze that much power out of this engine, it won't last. Especially as a daily. So rather than investing stupid money to swap drive trains, etc., I'll cut my losses and move over to another platform that can take more abuse. The fact that the Durango Hellcat was made available for another year didn't hurt things either.
Don't get me wrong, I love this platform and this is likely the most fun car I've owned, but as many pointed out from the beginning, my goals were too lofty.

4. Man, put some effort in. One low angle pic?
Once again, thank you, you're not wrong. Hence the "Professional pictures/video to come" disclaimer. I've got a few final cosmetic things to finish after which I'll get more/better pictures to post. This original post was meant more to get this out in front of people and to gather thoughts and opinions. Thank you for your willingness to help and participate.
You are much better off parting out the aftermarket parts, assuming you still have stock parts.
And yet again, thank you, you're not wrong! I may very likely come to this point. However, in the off chance that someone likes and is looking for something like this, with the financial wherewithal to purchase it, I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate your insights.

Reactions
'23 Durango Hellcat :devilish: Explorer is dubbes "Black Panther" and the Hellcat will be "Black Widow" Thought it would be fitting. I've already got some fun plans for her.
Awesome, love the hellcat platform, lot of st owners are putting their head in the sand when it comes to the trackhawks and durango hellcats, truth is you can make more power more reliably with them than you can the st, hellcat motor/trans is built to be modded the st really isn't.

I think we are gonna go the x3m route tho unfortunately, the 23 durango is priced very high imo, maybe that's because we had a '21 and can't stomach the price increase but 110k was at x5m territory for us.

Best of luck with the sale

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I never sat in the Durango If it has more room then the track hawk that's a huge plus. Not even close in power comparison to the Explorer.
anyways I hope your happy in the new ride. one thing I can say is your attitude is by far the best I have ever seen online in my life. Ive been on many websites for many different things.
I hope you get what need out of this sale. Post up a picture of the new ride when you get it.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #28
I never sat in the Durango If it has more room then the track hawk that's a huge plus. Not even close in power comparison to the Explorer.
anyways I hope your happy in the new ride. one thing I can say is your attitude is by far the best I have ever seen online in my life. Ive been on many websites for many different things.
I hope you get what need out of this sale. Post up a picture of the new ride when you get it.
Thank you, that is kind of you to say.

I've also never sat in the Trackhawk. Originally I was looking at both '21 Hawk (last year made to my knowledge) and '21 Durango Hellcat (originally thought that was the only year made). There was only one of each within 100 miles of my location. I test drove the DDHC and didn't notice being cramped at all. It was actually pretty comfortable, though lacking the massaging seats. When I found Dodge was making the DDHC for '23 that sealed the deal and I proceeded to find a dealer who had an allocation.

I'll definitely post some pictures once I get her. Despite having some fun plans for her, she'll likely stay stock from a performance perspective for a little bit. Rumor has it that Dodge changed the ECU/PCU in '22 and my tuner isn't sure it's been cracked yet. That's the downfall of buying a new, limited production vehicle. :geek:
Thanks again!

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #29
Awesome, love the hellcat platform, lot of st owners are putting their head in the sand when it comes to the trackhawks and durango hellcats, truth is you can make more power more reliably with them than you can the st, hellcat motor/trans is built to be modded the st really isn't.

I think we are gonna go the x3m route tho unfortunately, the 23 durango is priced very high imo, maybe that's because we had a '21 and can't stomach the price increase but 110k was at x5m territory for us.

Best of luck with the sale
BMW makes great cars. There is definitely a reason they're "The Ultimate Driving Machine!" I briefly considered the X5M Competition, but wanted to have more of a sleeper, at least from the basic looks. While you can hide that you have the M Competition, you can't hide that you have a BMW. With the DDHC I'll debadge it and hope it looks enough like the GT/RT to avoid garnering any undue attention :geek:

Hope you enjoy the X3M. It looks like a fun car. I'd love to see pictures of it when you get it and hear about and see what you do to it.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Reactions
When you say the trim and body parts were changed to the ST parts because of a series of unfortunate events, does that mean it was in an accident or damaged?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
When you say the trim and body parts were changed to the ST parts because of a series of unfortunate events, does that mean it was in an accident or damaged?
No…he had the original parts smoothed and painted but the shop screwed it up royally…so he replaced with all new parts.

Reactions
Trackhawk is like an explorer with 2 rows only, durango stretches it out for that extra row. To be honest tho neither the explorer or durango 3rd row is really usable for anyone other than kids or small adults, I just found the hip room and knee room very tight.

I think the best comparison for the st is the srt jeep and srt durango in terms of power. ST always been the best bang for buck and I truly feel like with a few fixes the ST would have been primed to really compete with the trackhawk/durango hc.

Reactions
BMW makes great cars. There is definitely a reason they're "The Ultimate Driving Machine!" I briefly considered the X5M Competition, but wanted to have more of a sleeper, at least from the basic looks. While you can hide that you have the M Competition, you can't hide that you have a BMW. With the DDHC I'll debadge it and hope it looks enough like the GT/RT to avoid garnering any undue attention :geek:

Hope you enjoy the X3M. It looks like a fun car. I'd love to see pictures of it when you get it and hear about and see what you do to it.

Thanks again for your feedback.
I totally get the debadged look.

For us it was more of interior upgrades, build quality, better tech and overall better handling vehicle.

The s58 motor in the x3m has proven to be well equipped to handle another 200-300hp over stock with a few bolt ons. The s63 motor in the x5m is a bit more fragile with the rods but still some room to improve.

Probably better if we take this to pm to keep your thread on track but definitely interested to see what spec you ended up ordering and how it comes out.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Trackhawk is like an explorer with 2 rows only, durango stretches it out for that extra row. To be honest tho neither the explorer or durango 3rd row is really usable for anyone other than kids or small adults, I just found the hip room and knee room very tight.

I think the best comparison for the st is the srt jeep and srt durango in terms of power. ST always been the best bang for buck and I truly feel like with a few fixes the ST would have been primed to really compete with the trackhawk/durango hc.
actually the Trackhawk is narrower compared to the ST.
I sold my Track Hawk just because of this My left shoulder hits the door pillar and made my arm in an un-natural position. not to mention just constant rubbing or touching freaked me out. I got good money for it but still lost a good amount from the sale. In the ST my shoulder doesn't touch at all. I am not sure how close it is I will check today for sure.

Taxgod4u

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Exploder-ST
A highly modded vehicle is as desireable as an ex hooker. Fun to "borrow" and ride hard, but dont want to own either. In my Harley world most of us look for bone stock so we know they have not been flogged. The handling mods may fetch 40 cents on the dollar if left on but any poer mods should be removed so the littel old lady story, the one who only drove it to church on sunday is more plausable.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
A highly modded vehicle is as desireable as an ex hooker. Fun to "borrow" and ride hard, but dont want to own either. In my Harley world most of us look for bone stock so we know they have not been flogged. The handling mods may fetch 40 cents on the dollar if left on but any poer mods should be removed so the littel old lady story, the one who only drove it to church on sunday is more plausable.
Lol In Harley world this wouldn’t even sell and if it did it would be 20k max. Better to keep bike and let collect dust then try and sell these days.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
2022 Explorer Platinum ST - asking $80k
11k miles
Black on black
Captains chairs in middle row
Fully optioned except rear entertainment
View attachment 16509
Professional pictures/video to come.

Exterior Cosmetics
Roof rail delete
ST trim all around
Blacked out grill
Custom Black/Velocity Blue Ford emblems
5% windshield ceramic tint strip
35% ceramic tint all around
Ford blue painted calipers
Medium tint ring on headlights
Medium tint on fog lights
Medium tint on mirror turn signals
Medium tint on rear reflectors
Medium tint on tail lights
Dark tint on reverse/rear turn signals
LED reverse/rear turn signals
LED license plate lights
Thin blue line American flag on rear side windows
Blue door handle inserts to match the blue line on flag
PPF on front end, A pillars and roof from windshield to plank sunroof
Color correction and ceramic coating

Interior Cosmetics
Blue "Explorer" brake/gas pedal covers
Blue vinyl dash accents (matching blue line and door handle inserts)
Blue vinyl inlay on lower steering wheel (also matching blue line and door handle inserts)
Center console vault
Custom mounted iOttie wireless charging phone dock next to 10.1" infotainment screen

Wheels/Tires
Summer
Velgen VF5 22x10.5 ET35
Pirelli Scorpion P-Zero 315/30R22
Winter
Königs Oversteer 20x9.5 ET25
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 275/50R20

Suspension
Steeda lowering springs in Steeda blue
Steeda shocks in Steeda blue
Steeda struts in Steeda blue
Steeda rear sway bar in Steeda blue

Exhaust
SPD 3" catted performance down pipes coated in black Cerakote
2.5" Thermal R&D performance exhaust Thermal 2.5" mid pipes

Under the Hood
Redline Racing QuickLift Elite hood struts
Whipple Mega Cooler Intercooler
aFe Momentum GT cold air intake in Aztek Blue w/dry filters
Custom aFe "Black Panther" strut tower brace in Aztek Blue with black back plate by FenFab
Custom FenFab "Black Panther" ECU cover in Aztek Blue w/black back plate
FenFab coolant tank in Aztek Blue
FenFab custom "Black Panther" coolant cap cover in black
FenFab charge pipe in Aztek Blue
TurboSmart RacePort blow off valve
UPR dual valve oil catch can with braided lines

Tune
HP Tuners RTD3 with 4 credits (not applied)
ZFG Racing custom tune (not applied)
If you're seriously considering parting out, I'm your huckleberry. Wish I would've seen this before I bought a UPR oil catch.. but lmk ASAP please and thanks!

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #38
Added a few more pictures. They're showing up as links, likely because they're too large. I'll get them reduced and will repost later. I've posted it at $5k below everywhere else for members since you all helped me so much in getting this built. Such a great, knowledgeable forum here. Thanks y'all's :D

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
NOT AN ST ITS A PLATINUM. MODS DO NOT ADD VALUE. I DONT KNOW WHO YOUR TRYING TO FOOL HERE.

Reactions
NOT AN ST ITS A PLATINUM. MODS DO NOT ADD VALUE. I DONT KNOW WHO YOUR TRYING TO FOOL HERE.
You're right, a Platinum is a higher tier lol