Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 Vs 2022

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Actually the power goes to the transfer case first before getting to the rear diff. My other older Explorers (body on frame wth two speed transfer case) definitely only send power to the rear when on automatic mode. On those I lock in 4WD when on icy stuff so I don't feel the transfer case shifting power intermittently to the front. I like the fact my 2022 ST is also rear wheel based along with the longitudinal mount engine. I just expected the display to show power only to the rear until slippage is detected. I don't know why it always shows power to all four.

Reactions
If the explorer was true permanent AWD the turn radius would be extremely awful but trying to pull a u-turn in 4WD is even worse unlike the bronco can actually lock the inside wheel to preform a tight turn or turn around a tree on a trail.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
What people now call permanent AWD does not mean everything is locked. I have had many 4WD trucks and tractors going back to part time transfer cases and manual locking hubs. Of course on those you don't put it in 4WD on dry pavement. Today AWD includes transfer cases with differentials and clutches to accommodate all surfaces.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Actually the power goes to the transfer case first before getting to the rear diff. My other older Explorers (body on frame wth two speed transfer case) definitely only send power to the rear when on automatic mode. On those I lock in 4WD when on icy stuff so I don't feel the transfer case shifting power intermittently to the front. I like the fact my 2022 ST is also rear wheel based along with the longitudinal mount engine. I just expected the display to show power only to the rear until slippage is detected. I don't know why it always shows power to all four.
The transfer case has a mainshaft driven directly from the output shaft of the trans to the rear driveshaft. A chain in the transfer case routes power to the clutch pack. All power is always routed to the rear directly with the ability to engage the clutch pack to drive the front.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
The transfer case has a mainshaft driven directly from the output shaft of the trans to the rear driveshaft. A chain in the transfer case routes power to the clutch pack. All power is always routed to the rear directly with the ability to engage the clutch pack to drive the front.
Yes, that is how all RWD based transfer cases work. The question here is why does the display always show power to the front?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
What drive mode are you in? Mine definitely fluctuates depending on drive mode and gear (seems to always be AWD in first), but definitely fluctuates. But who knows whether that display is actually showing true engagement?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Yes, I also wonder how accurate the display is. I have only been accelerating in Normal mode when I check the display. Definitely should be checking other modes. Also have not been in snow/ice to watch what it does there.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

This video is very interesting and shows that it is NOT 4WD and maybe not even intelligent. Skip to 24:45. And this is the Timberline with rear Torsen.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It has an open front differential, just like the ST. So no, both front wheels will not spin. However, it does have the Torsen rear, so you see both rear wheels spinning. And the guy in the video- moron.

Reactions
So don’t ever get stuck with our vehicle? So much for trying to put all terrain tires on :eek: Am I the only one who want to lift the explorer st? Haha I live on half paved roads and half dirt roads.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So don’t ever get stuck with our vehicle? So much for trying to put all terrain tires on :eek: Am I the only one who want to lift the explorer st? Haha I live on half paved roads and half dirt roads.
Another incredibly informative post. I know that I along with others look forward to to your input.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It seems to be more of a ground clearance issue. I'm used to powering through pretty much anything in my 1 ton. I think I'm going to have to be a little more cautious until I used to the characteristics and capabilities of the Explorer.

Then again I learned how to drive in New England with a 68 Mustang and I managed to get around pretty good. Never regret learning to drive with lousy traction and no electronic nannies. I am convinced I am a much better driver because of it.

Reactions
I want to use parts from the timberline to see if we can make a “off road” explorer ST. I know with some of the older Explorers you could easily raise up about 1 3/4 to 2 inches. I think the issue here is our suspension maybe developing air bag ride that just lifts instead of lowering. Sucks you can’t put the timberline skid plate on, for what reason ford developing a different bumper is a crazy expense for the company.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Then again I learned how to drive in New England with a 68 Mustang and I managed to get around pretty good. Never regret learning to drive with lousy traction and no electronic nannies. I am convinced I am a much better driver because of it.
My dad always says this. He grew up in PA, first car was a 70 Valiant and had several Fox Mustangs. Never any issues in the snow, and better for it using those cars. We moved to SoCal when I was 9 so no snow experience for me. I took my wife/kids and parents up to Lake Arrowhead last winter, he said if I managed to crash this Explorer in the snow he'd disown me!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Yes, I also wonder how accurate the display is. I have only been accelerating in Normal mode when I check the display. Definitely should be checking other modes. Also have not been in snow/ice to watch what it does there.
I finally got around to checking the drive display some more. It does always show all four wheels getting power when accelerating regardless of the surface, wet or dry. It also shows power to all four after reaching a constant speed. However, give it a few more seconds and it changes to just rear wheel drive only. So this is good. Power to all four when accelerating and power to just the rear when cruising. I have not checked into the amount of rear bias during handling since it is hard to watch the display during those maneuvers.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
22 AWD is more rear wheel biased over the 21. That's about it!
Who told you that, I talked to one of the Engineers on Explorer and he said that's not true at all. The 22 comes standard RWD and AWD is an option. The 21 was standard AWD with no RWD option on the ST.

Check out the 2022 Order Guide snapshot below, the STAR after RWD means new this Model Year.

Explorer RWD★ Explorer 4WD
• 3.0L EcoBoost® V6 Engine with Auto Start-Stop Technology • 10-Speed AutomaticTransmission

• ExplorerRWD★
• 3.0L EcoBoost® V6 Engine with Auto Start-Stop Technology • 10-Speed AutomaticTransmission

• Explorer4WD

OP
Blaster7Romeo

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thread Starter #38
WOW

So I asked for advice and no one replied for 2 months.. and I had already had my 21 for a month lol

Then it turns in to a shit storm of a tangent lol Got to love the forums lol

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
WOW

So I asked for advice and no one replied for 2 months.. and I had already had my 21 for a month lol

Then it turns in to a shit storm of a tangent lol Got to love the forums lol
Well if you haven't purchased one you will need to wait a while. There is a safety recall issued and no new Explorers can be sold for now. Not sure at this point how long this will be.

OP
Blaster7Romeo

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thread Starter #40
I got a 21 demo model back in mid fed for invoice price and 0% for 60.

The one I ordered back in dec I still have not even gotten a VIN assigned yet