Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 Vs 2022

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I have a 22 on order for about 5 weeks now, no VIN yet or build date. But have found a 21 the way I ordered mine minus having captain chares in the second row VS a bench seat. The 21 has been in the body shop already from some damage during shipping. I was told they had to replace the front quarter panel on the passengers side. I went and looked at it on a nice sunny day and could not tell it had been worked on.

I have an X plan code, the dealer of the 21 will honor that price and so is the dealer I ordered mine from. I had a conversation with another dealer about one they have coming in next week and they said they would only honor x plan pricing on new orders. Have an email in to another dealer asking if they will honor xplan price on a 22 they have coming in.

SO the question is do I go headed and get the 21 because I am tired of waiting? Xplan price to xplan price the 21 only has $500 more in incentives but 0% apr for 60 months So over the full term of the loan that is about $4 saved in interest at current rates. (but am I gonna go full term? lol) But looks like the Fed may raise rates in March and not looking like my order will be here before then.

Are there any mechanical differences between the 21 and 22 ? also think about a little more reliability with another year in production with a 22 and more in trade in a few years down the road.

Thoughts?

OP
Blaster7Romeo

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thread Starter #2
thanks for all your feedback guys lol ( I know I rambled)

Anyway got a 21 demo model from another dealer. it all worked its self out in time

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
22 AWD is more rear wheel biased over the 21. That's about it!

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hmmm? Is that a documented fact or a feeling? I’ve not seen anything stating such other than your post.

Also, aren’t there some features missing on the 22 as compared to the 21?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Where is this coming from, what changed? I certainly understand this statement on the ST Line 2WD but don't know why it would be on the AWD.

Reactions
Also, aren’t there some features missing on the 22 as compared to the 21?
I think I've seen a list around here that spells out exactly what those deficiencies are in the '22 compared to the '21. I don't remember them each being HUGE changes, but all together the '21 seams like the better car.

Reactions
I have a 2022 ST and it's classified as 4WD, instead of AWD. As stated above it's more rear-biased now. There is no bov, but my understanding is that it's not needed on the 22's. My biggest regret is not having the lighted cupholders. LOL.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have a 2022 ST and it's classified as 4WD, instead of AWD. As stated above it's more rear-biased now. There is no bov, but my understanding is that it's not needed on the 22's. My biggest regret is not having the lighted cupholders. LOL.
Yeah stripping the lighted cup holders was lame, I really like them.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It's the same "Intelligent 4WD" that it has always been. No more, no less. Any more "rear bias" is referring to the RWD variant.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's the same "Intelligent 4WD" that it has always been. No more, no less. Any more "rear bias" is referring to the RWD variant.
Could they have changed the software to be more rear biased?

Reactions
2022 has a standard option for RWD but still AWD is available for upgrade option. This is the only ford SUV thats not the intelligent 4WD cause of the ability to actually turn all four wheels at once going in a straight line in any condition but can adjust power to the wheels on a curve turn.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
2022 has a standard option for RWD but still AWD is available for upgrade option. This is the only ford SUV thats not the intelligent 4WD cause of the ability to actually turn all four wheels at once going in a straight line in any condition but can adjust power to the wheels on a curve turn.
So is it really AWD or is it part time 4wd? Are all four wheels driven? Not familiar with the Explorer drivertain. Came from full sized 4wd trucks where you get a locker in back and a locking front end. Is it viscous couplings like Audi or Subaru or is it on demand according to what the computer thinks.

Curious what the design is.

Reactions
So the tires gradually spin from a stoplight in RWD and gradually sense the traction to active front tires to spin according to RPM/driving conditions/mode. So 4WD stays active only when needed, so that means loss of traction/weather condition. The 4WD won’t stay on when at higher speeds and will shut off to save on fuel mileage (depending on driving mode). So let’s say your in SPORT mode this allows to have all four wheels spin at the same time but will send power evenly to each wheel.
We have a limited slip differential when traction is lost the vehicle will have four wheels turning to assist the driver from RWD to AWD. Like making a sharp turn the SUV will sense the tires on the inside will need more power to keep traction. We don’t have a locker to have four wheels continually spin like in 4wd when traction is still lost and can’t be gained.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So the tires gradually spin from a stoplight in RWD and gradually sense the traction to active front tires to spin according to RPM/driving conditions/mode. So 4WD stays active only when needed, so that means loss of traction/weather condition. The 4WD won’t stay on when at higher speeds and will shut off to save on fuel mileage (depending on driving mode). So let’s say your in SPORT mode this allows to have all four wheels spin at the same time but will send power evenly to each wheel.
We have a limited slip differential when traction is lost the vehicle will have four wheels turning to assist the driver from RWD to AWD. Like making a sharp turn the SUV will sense the tires on the inside will need more power to keep traction. We don’t have a locker to have four wheels continually spin like in 4wd when traction is still lost and can’t be gained.
Thank you that explanation. So just to confirm, if the computer detects wheel spin (ie heavy snow) you get four driven wheels but with a limited slip in back instead of a locker. To me that means in snow you get two front wheels and one rear wheel no?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Not a limited slip per se. It's the computer that controls the wheel spin and it will use brakes to compensate for the slippage. If I remember correctly the Timberline comes with a LS diff.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks, that makes more sense with a non-locking rear end.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ford is calling it "intelligent 4WD" but it really is AWD. As far as I am aware, there have been no changes for 2022. For the people that say 2022 has more rear bias, please list a reference. Otherwise, just turn on the 4 wheel display and see what its doing.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
On dry pavement with normal acceleration the display shows power to all four wheels. Have not tested other driving combinations, but just always wondered about the rear wheel bias since the display shows that.

Reactions
Just don’t get stuck cause the vehicle will cut off power to the wheels and prevent any damage from accruing, so 4wd is still better for that kind of situation where the driver wants to control the vehicle in off road applications. I wouldn’t recommend going off roading in the ST due to that reason but if the roads are grated and well maintained by all means hit the dirt road and have fun.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Here are the facts- the drivetrain power is routed directly to the open differential rear. That's what a rear-based system is all about. A wet multiplate clutch in the transfer case engaged by the computer directs power to the front diff which is also open. Depending on drive mode and detected slippage, power can be routed to the front diff. So, it can lock in AWD mode or just in RWD mode. Theoretically, you can have 100% power to front or 50/50% Front and rear. It could provide some slippage under certain conditions to to vary from 60/40 to 90/10, but I have no information on whether it actually does much of that.