Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2020 Explorer ST starting problem

Reactions
Faced the same issue before 1 week .. they replaced the fuel pump and working fine no
.. 2021 explorer st

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
They have made repeated attempts to fix the problem but say they can’t do anything because they cannot replicate the issue. The video I took of the problem and how I can get the car to start again is not good enough proof for the dealer. To fix it, I remove the bolt and plate on the battery and then reconnect it. I have become a pro at it and no longer flinch when it sparks.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So I have experienced this cranking for long periods before it starts issue and have narrowed it down to when the fuel level gets low. I tend to only have this issue when I am showing 40 miles remaining and it typically happens at the gas station after I fill up. I am thinking some kind of vapor lock due to the low fuel level. It does not happen every time but I have noticed every time it has happened the fuel is lower than I would like it to be. I now have tough my wife to not let it get below 75 miles of range before she refuels. Hope this info helps someone.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just this week, I ran mine down to 10 miles remaining as I've found there is still approx 2 gallons left even at that point. And, I park on a hill with the nose up and have never encountered anything like what you're experiencing. It's most likely some type of fuel pump issue.

travish325

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Mine usually fills up about 17-18 gallons when under 50 miles to empty. As mentioned previously my fuel pump failed once at that point on my way to gas station it stalled out and wouldn't start and had to be towed after trying to fill with couple gallons of gas. They replaced the fuel pump at about 11,000 miles. Now I am at 16,000 miles on the second fuel pump with no other problems.
Which fuel pump did they replace? The high pressure in the engine bay or the sending pump?

hbalek

Reactions
Which fuel pump did they replace? The high pressure in the engine bay or the sending pump?
Not sure but I think the sending one because the flaw is in the tank and sender when mess than 1/4 tank left on incline.