Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2020 Explorer ST starting problem

Reactions
Hi guys,

I own a Explorer ST 2020 since august 2020. I am almost 6000km done so far with it. Last weekend i had an issue (
) preventing the car from starting. I had to have the car towed to the dealer because i was unable to have it start at all.

Monday morning i spoke with them and they said the car started like a charm and they can't reproduce the problem. I provided them with the video linked above but so far no luck.

Anyone can help me ( help them ) pinpoint the isssue ?

Reactions
Did it start at the dealership right after you got it to them?

OP
Raceleader
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Did it start at the dealership right after you got it to them?
Yes it did. Well the next morning because they got it on sunday and they are close during weekend.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
That's crazy it almost looks like the engine wasn't getting any fuel. Does Ford up in Canada have a customer service number you can reach out to? I would be more concerned if this happened again when you're out in the middle of no where.

OP
Raceleader
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
That's crazy it almost looks like the engine wasn't getting any fuel. Does Ford up in Canada have a customer service number you can reach out to? I would be more concerned if this happened again when you're out in the middle of no where.
This is what i think. It’s something related to fuel or something like this.

Dealer haven’t been able to recreate the problem so they are giving me my keys back.

It’s a Good thing that we can’t get anywhere because of the covid shit. That way if it does it again I won’t be far from them.

Next time the car fail, I will contact Ford Canada because I have zero trust on the dealer where i bought it.

Reactions
This is what i think. It’s something related to fuel or something like this.

Dealer haven’t been able to recreate the problem so they are giving me my keys back.

It’s a Good thing that we can’t get anywhere because of the covid shit. That way if it does it again I won’t be far from them.

Next time the car fail, I will contact Ford Canada because I have zero trust on the dealer where i bought it.

Some members with earlier builds had vehicle stalling issues and they identified it as bad fuel pump which was resolved after replacing that. I am wondering if it might be worth getting your fuel pump checked. The error code should pop up when they plug in the diagnostic tool (I think) since you already had the starting problem and the module should have registered it as an error.

hbalek

Reactions
Some members with earlier builds had vehicle stalling issues and they identified it as bad fuel pump which was resolved after replacing that. I am wondering if it might be worth getting your fuel pump checked. The error code should pop up when they plug in the diagnostic tool (I think) since you already had the starting problem and the module should have registered it as an error.
My 11/19 build at 10,800 miles stalled and had to be towed and had fuel pump replaced.

OP
Raceleader
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
The dealer tested the fuel pressure and they said it was within normal parameters...

I hate having an 'jack in a box' 60k$ car that you never know when it's gonna trigger.

hbalek

Reactions
The dealer tested the fuel pressure and they said it was within normal parameters...

I hate having an 'jack in a box' 60k$ car that you never know when it's gonna trigger.
That pretty much sums up everyone's feeling on here. This is the support group for the trauma and stress of ownership woes.On the other hand, think of all the other owners who don't belong to these forums. For them, ignorance is bliss but then they can't recognize warning signs or have an expectation of failure. They will be blindsided!

Reactions
That pretty much sums up everyone's feeling on here. This is the support group for the trauma and stress of ownership woes.On the other hand, think of all the other owners who don't belong to these forums. For them, ignorance is bliss but then they can't recognize warning signs or have an expectation of failure. They will be blindsided!
Agreed 1000%.

Reactions
Sweet I can join the club. I have a 2020 ST and this thing is the biggest POS I have ever owned. Mine acked the same way but it doesn't think is has fuel. New fuel pump and wiring harness. Also noticed my low fuel 50 mile light comes on and it only take 13 gallons to fill. I'm averaging 21.4 mpg so on a full tank should be around 440 mile range. Mine won't go past 400.

Attachments

hbalek

Reactions
Sweet I can join the club. I have a 2020 ST and this thing is the biggest POS I have ever owned. Mine acked the same way but it doesn't think is has fuel. New fuel pump and wiring harness. Also noticed my low fuel 50 mile light comes on and it only take 13 gallons to fill. I'm averaging 21.4 mpg so on a full tank should be around 440 mile range. Mine won't go past 400.
Mine usually fills up about 17-18 gallons when under 50 miles to empty. As mentioned previously my fuel pump failed once at that point on my way to gas station it stalled out and wouldn't start and had to be towed after trying to fill with couple gallons of gas. They replaced the fuel pump at about 11,000 miles. Now I am at 16,000 miles on the second fuel pump with no other problems.

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
Does your range go past 400 miles?
My range is around 350 on average because I don't drive highway that much. My MPG is 18.6 on the dash computer and I average less than 25 MPH with traffic here.

Stdave

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford explorer st 2021
Raceleader, did you pick it up at Desjardins Ford autocollection. I have a 2021 with 1200 km and sometimes it does not start for 5 min. All the warnings lights in the dashboard flashing. Alter he starts again… I am discouraged. Someone has already had this before. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
My 11/19 build at 10,800 miles stalled and had to be towed and had fuel pump replaced.
Oh great, same month here.. but bought used. It was originally sold 9/20.. no idea what was going on for those 10 months...

BinIndy

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
This post is a little old...BUT I'm still having the "it won't f'ing start" problem! Lights flash, dash flashes...blah, blah, blah. 10,400 miles

Been towed two times. Replaced the battery one time. Same problem.

Pearson Ford (Zionsville, Indiana) has had it for 10 days..."we can't replicate the problem".

Has anyone heard of a direction to point these clowns? Something to try?

At a complete loss...other than sell it.

Thanks!!
*Cool forum...first time here, bunch of cool content*

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Are u guys starting on level ground? Could it be you were on the low side of fuel. I have heard people report they cant start on a slight incline or when they are low (but clearly not empty) on fuel. Neither should be a problem but is for some.

hbalek

Reactions
Are u guys starting on level ground? Could it be you were on the low side of fuel. I have heard people report they cant start on a slight incline or when they are low (but clearly not empty) on fuel. Neither should be a problem but is for some.
There is a difference. This problem is not cranking at all. It seems like an electrical or electronic/software issue. My problem with the incline and less than a quarter tank was fuel delivery. So it cranked but wouldn't start. Another time it stalled up hill with 3 gallons left and burned the fuel pump.

BinIndy

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Yes...starting on level ground. It doesn't crank at all...just the lights flashing and zero noise related to the engine attempting to start.

Dealership still has the car...we're at 2+ weeks and they've made zero progress. I'm guessing they're not even trying at this point...

With the YouTube videos and all of the same issue being reported on forums, Ford has to know about this right??

So disappointed that they just take the $50 grand and walk away like they don't care at all.