Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2020 Explorer/Aviator Module Updates by Ford

Hassa

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
You need someone who has access to FDRS. That’s the program the Ford techs use to diagnose and Repair vehicles. In the program there’s a ‘SW Updates’ Tab. It will list all the modules based on your VIN requiring updating. I also own a Ford Mach E. in that forum there are people with this software who graciously will look up your VIN and give you this page. You can try asking the dealer, but the technicians are the ones who can see this, not the front line service advisors. You can also ask on this forum if anyone can check your VIN

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Unfortunately, a dealer will probably only update a few modules if you have some complaints. If you want them all done, you either have to pay the dealer to do it or do it yourself--neither option is cheap

Doesn't seem right because a lot of the updates fix bugs in the original firmware. Should be free like Sync updates?

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/fdrs-for-module-updates.4492/

Last edited:

Hassa

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I agree. Seems wrong to deny owners the benefit of better programming. I also own a Mach E and the dealer I go to now seems to recognize the need for updates to them. Often updating the GWM or APIM will bring a new User Interface or feature to the car. It also is a requirement for future updates to appear in FDRS. Gas cars should be treated no different.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I wouldn't be so quick to update modules if you are not having any issues with the exception of the SYNC system. Updating modules may cause some other things to operate in a way that is not favorable to the customer. The parking brake applying automatically comes to mind when one updates the PCM. Newer is not always better!!