Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

20 ST-drivers seat clicking/rattle noise

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I performed the TSB as listed for 2020 vehicles just a few days ago on my 2021 model year. The 2021 bottom of the seat does not look exactly like the 2020 model years according to the TSB pictures. Apparently and I can only assume this, Ford tried to fix this issue by molding the sub-seat differently by adding more support ribs, closer together.

That said, that Mickey Mouse TSB (I laughed out loud at the fix when reading the bulletin) though modified to work on a 21' took the side-to-side motion and the noise out of my seat.

The seat's architecture would not allow the 1" heater section of hose described in the bulletin to fit in the voids of the sub-seat on the 2021 model year. In fact the section of heater hose I ended up using was only slightly wider than the 3/8" band clamps required to hold the hose in place. The seat's rib voids are only that wide. I didn't even pull the module.

I used 2 pieces of hose and two clamps positioned differently than the TSB would have had me do it due to the seat's updates. The noise I was hearing and the movement I was experiencing was gone immediately. The repair is straightforward and takes about 20 minutes to perform. You'll need a couple of inches of 3/4" heater hose and two screw-type band clamps. Two on each side may actually be better. There is room for these above the seat module.

Now having said all that I still think these seats are noisy when I initially sit on them I hear a noise while I'm putting my weight on the seat. Adding the two additional clamps I mentioned above may or may not help here. Once my weight is on them I don't hear anything and there is no more seat shifting on corners. I'm sure I could silence this noise too but it might actually require the seat to be pulled and shimmed. Perhaps another day.

Reactions
I performed the TSB as listed for 2020 vehicles just a few days ago on my 2021 model year. The 2021 bottom of the seat does not look exactly like the 2020 model years according to the TSB pictures. Apparently and I can only assume this, Ford tried to fix this issue by molding the sub-seat differently by adding more support ribs, closer together.

That said, that Mickey Mouse TSB (I laughed out loud at the fix when reading the bulletin) though modified to work on a 21' took the side-to-side motion and the noise out of my seat.

The seat's architecture would not allow the 1" heater section of hose described in the bulletin to fit in the voids of the sub-seat on the 2021 model year. In fact the section of heater hose I ended up using was only slightly wider than the 3/8" band clamps required to hold the hose in place. The seat's rib voids are only that wide. I didn't even pull the module.

I used 2 pieces of hose and two clamps positioned differently than the TSB would have had me do it due to the seat's updates. The noise I was hearing and the movement I was experiencing was gone immediately. The repair is straightforward and takes about 20 minutes to perform. You'll need a couple of inches of 3/4" heater hose and two screw-type band clamps. Two on each side may actually be better. There is room for these above the seat module.

Now having said all that I still think these seats are noisy when I initially sit on them I hear a noise while I'm putting my weight on the seat. Adding the two additional clamps I mentioned above may or may not help here. Once my weight is on them I don't hear anything and there is no more seat shifting on corners. I'm sure I could silence this noise too but it might actually require the seat to be pulled and shimmed. Perhaps another day.
Would it be possible to get that TSB info from you?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
@hbalek had the TSB right.

https://www.tsbsearch.com/Ford/20-2008

As I eluded to, if your seat looks like mine it will not look exactly like the one in the TSB pics. Yours might look just like the pics, I simply don't know. I suppose it could be a running or model year change.

This TSB appears to supersede a TSB from several years earlier and the pics might be pics of earlier Explorers. It is close enough to get the idea and the same procedure can be used with just a shorter piece of hose and the hose moved to the nearest open void from the place shown in the pic.

I laugh at Ford putting their stamp of approval on this TSB, it's definitely a backyard fix. That said, it did work. You begin on step #14 for the STs.

One last thing I probably should add here. My seats also have the noise others have mentioned in this thread concerning the seat massagers. I have checked several other Explorers and having listened to them consider this noise, though annoying, normal. My seat literally shifted/clunked from side to side while making the noise I was trying to fix and that is the problem this TSB addresses.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Now... about that noise that sounds like a rock hitting my windshield when I'm barely moving into or out of a stop.

The first few times I heard it I was really looking to see which vehicle had thrown the rock (there weren't any around) and where my windshield was broken. The best description I can give is it sounds like your turn signal is being canceled times ten, turn signal not on. Better yet a rock hitting your windshield it's under the dash but I have no idea where.

Buck Nutz

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I had the same problem with the rattling noise. It sounded like it was coming from the back. I made all the checks I could with seat belts, second row seats forward/back,
third row seats up/down. I sat in the back while my wife drove and could not pin down where the noise was coming from. I even had rear seat passengers telling me
the sound was coming from the front. :( I finally had a tech from the dealer ride in the back while I drove it to the local streets where the sound was most notable. Bingo...
He found the noise coming from the back of the drivers side second row seat backrest. When they got it in the shop they removed seat backrest from seat bottom, removed
backrest cover a found a loose screw inside.

A few weeks later I also had the Ford TSB done that fixed a clunk/shift in the drivers seat when cornering.
Would you be able to share the TSB that showed the issue with the seat?

Reactions
I had the rattle clicking sound.It takes some experimentation to determine the source, as sound in the cabin echos. It variously seemed to come from overhead, or the back. I confirmed it was coming from the drivers seat. I could reproduce , sometimes, by pressing on the leather on the side of the seat about 6 inches in front of the power seat controls.
The dealer service technician was able to reproduce the sound and determined the "seat track" was deffective. They ordered a new seat track 3 weeks ago and it was replaced today.
The rattle/clicking sound is gone. Wether or not this is the permanent solution, time will tell.