Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

20 ST-drivers seat clicking/rattle noise

Critter82

Reactions
Hello everyone. I just joined. I looked through the thread but did not see a specific post addressing my issue, so here it is.

I have a drivers seat click/rattle. This is in addition to a Ford TSB that fixed a clunk/shift when cornering in the same seat. Now it has a near constant click-either metallic of plastic-and it is driving me nuts. It's at the dealer for 3 days now and they have taken the seat apart to no avail. They called me yesterday and stated that it may just be because I am a big guy..lol. I've never had a rattle in any seat that I've owned in many brands of vehicles.

On another note, love the ST but super concerned about the build quality. My was built in June of 20. Maybe they worked some kinks out. All of our older cruisers at work at explorers and very reliable so that's what attracted me to the ST.

Any thoughts on the drivers seat clicking? Thanks in advance.

Reactions
I have several rattles, some metallic sounding and some plastic sounding but I don't think I am getting any of that from the seat. Are you sure it is from the seat or maybe it sounds like it is coming from the seat but maybe that center console unit?? Just thinking out loud.

But again, I only have 1000 miles on mine as of now so I might get to the seat rattle problem eventually.

hbalek

Reactions
I have this issue and there was a thread and TSB on it for lateral movement of the seat cushion. For me it started at about 3,000 miles. Now I have almost 12,000 miles and haven't had it looked at. Mine was built in 11/19. Almost a year old now and I have noticed that sometimes when the seat is moved and adjusted for another driver like at the dealership service department, when I get to my set position the noise is gone or decreased. If you get out and push the bottom cushion right and left it definitely has some play. This was TSB 20-2008 according to my notes. I may ask about this when I go in for my 12,000 mile maintenance.

OP
C

Critter82

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I have several rattles, some metallic sounding and some plastic sounding but I don't think I am getting any of that from the seat. Are you sure it is from the seat or maybe it sounds like it is coming from the seat but maybe that center console unit?? Just thinking out loud.

But again, I only have 1000 miles on mine as of now so I might get to the seat rattle problem eventually.
Hey, positive its coming from under the seat. Placed my phone there to record it.

OP
C

Critter82

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Hey, yeah the TSB 2008 is the one they used to fix it the first time. I dven found the TSB online and read the instructions on how to fix. It seemed to help it for a week and now its back.
Its driving me nuts though. I have a feeling the massager has something to do with it. I rented a limited 20 explorer for a 2 week vacation with no massager and the seat was quiet.

Reactions
Hey, positive its coming from under the seat. Placed my phone there to record it.
Is it like a metal sounding rattle or a plastic sounding one. Because I get is sometimes, very rarely, when I drive on rough/corroded roads, I assumed it was all the seat belts hanging and hitting the sides. If it is metal kind of noise, I will start focusing on the seat.

hbalek

Reactions
Is it like a metal sounding rattle or a plastic sounding one. Because I get is sometimes, very rarely, when I drive on rough/corroded roads, I assumed it was all the seat belts hanging and hitting the sides. If it is metal kind of noise, I will start focusing on the seat.
To me it sounds more like plastic than metal like a tick tick sound. It happens at high speeds cornering on entry/exit ramps or making a fast turn. You can feel it in your butt too.

Reactions
To me it sounds more like plastic than metal like a tick tick sound. It happens at high speeds cornering on entry/exit ramps or making a fast turn. You can feel it in your butt too.
Thank you for confirming, I will continue looking elsewhere because mine is sort of metallic but very rare and only on specific type of road imperfections.

Reactions
I am dealing with a metallic rattle at all speeds coming from rear of vehicle. Sales person drove it and heard it. Service guy came for a ride and as you might expect, quiet. It is still there. Now I turn up the radio to drown it out, ony to be annoyed by the tiny crackle sound coming from the frt passenger side speakers. Other than that....this SUV is a beast.

Gymrat

Reactions
I’m experiencing a similar rattle noise. My trouble shooting process.... emptied center console, checked door “pockets, looked under seats and buckled all seat belts. I have the third seat down (always) and second row ( bench) are always buckled. Went for a drive; noise only happens on a turn. Noise still present. Reached down between seat and plastic column; held seat belt where connected to the floor- noise stopped. So my rattle is where the drivers side seatbelt attaches to the floor. When I go in for service that’ll be addressed; for now it’s wrapped with a microfiber towel.

hbalek

Reactions
Most people with this have said it's the bottom cushion which shifts laterally on turns especially fast ones. I'm thinking mine is too. When you grab the cushion it will slightly move left and right.

DasCrue

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Just turned 3300 miles. Mine is doing the same now. Thought it was the door or maybe piece of plastic molding on the b pillar. Mine was manufactured in 20. Disappointed with our first Ford. Fit and finish is poor on the entire vehicle.

Reactions
Mine just started doing this yesterday. A new '21 with build date 11/20. I havent tried to find the source but every time i lean forward and then back, i hear it from what i believe is the lumbar area. Anyone find this lil gremlin of a problem? As a side note, i am quite pleased with fit and finish on mine. Maybe I was expecting much worse from my 1st Ford based on all the online reviews complaining about it. I think it's actually quite good.

Tracker50

Reactions
I had the same problem with the rattling noise. It sounded like it was coming from the back. I made all the checks I could with seat belts, second row seats forward/back,
third row seats up/down. I sat in the back while my wife drove and could not pin down where the noise was coming from. I even had rear seat passengers telling me
the sound was coming from the front. :( I finally had a tech from the dealer ride in the back while I drove it to the local streets where the sound was most notable. Bingo...
He found the noise coming from the back of the drivers side second row seat backrest. When they got it in the shop they removed seat backrest from seat bottom, removed
backrest cover a found a loose screw inside.

A few weeks later I also had the Ford TSB done that fixed a clunk/shift in the drivers seat when cornering.

Last edited:

Griffin

Reactions
Just turned 3300 miles. Mine is doing the same now. Thought it was the door or maybe piece of plastic molding on the b pillar. Mine was manufactured in 20. Disappointed with our first Ford. Fit and finish is poor on the entire vehicle.
I have had this problem for a while. Like you I think it is coming from the pillar. At speeds above 50 I can put my ear to the seatbelt assembly on the pillar and I hear a very weird clicking or metal sound. Had a new seatbelt assembly put in, did not fix. Did you ever get it to stop?

hbalek

Reactions
I have had this problem for a while. Like you I think it is coming from the pillar. At speeds above 50 I can put my ear to the seatbelt assembly on the pillar and I hear a very weird clicking or metal sound. Had a new seatbelt assembly put in, did not fix. Did you ever get it to stop?
That you're describing is a separate problem and I have it too. The driver seat clicking comes literally from under your butt.

Reactions
I have a 2021 and the drivers seat is horrible and I think it's getting worse. I had an issue in my 2019 Edge with the seat as well, the bottom cushion moved and creaked and cracked. I really had hope that 2 years later Ford had fixed that crap! What scares me most is after the fix was done on the Edge it didn't move, but was even more noisy and I don't want that!

Griffin

Reactions
That you're describing is a separate problem and I have it too. The driver seat clicking comes literally from under your butt.
I have no clicking out of my seat. Mine is a first run, purchased August of 2019. I am having a service advisor ride with me to try to figure out this pillar issue. It is getting worse. The faster I go the louder it gets. I love the vehicle but I have had way too many of these minor type problems. They have fixed them but going to the dealer every few months for some annoyance is getting very old. Also, the transfer case has been leaking since November. They keep filling it but 5 months later, still can't get any parts to fix.

DasCrue

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Nope, still makes the sound and like what you said it gets worse at higher speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I had the same problem with the rattling noise. It sounded like it was coming from the back. I made all the checks I could with seat belts, second row seats forward/back,
third row seats up/down. I sat in the back while my wife drove and could not pin down where the noise was coming from.

I finally had a tech from the dealer ride in the back while I drove it to the local streets where the sound was most notable. Bingo...
He found the noise coming from the back of the drivers side second row seat backrest. When they got it in the shop they removed seat backrest from seat bottom, removed
backrest cover a found a loose screw inside.
I think this may be my squeak.