Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

10r80 swap

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Call me crazy, but spending $6k on "insurance" before you even have a problem seems a bit extreme, especially with a 5yr 60k warranty. Used 4x4 10R80s are available at around $2k. I'd research that option first. Internal gearing might be slightly different, but your transfer case and driveshaft should bolt up.

Reactions
Also bear in mind, 6k does not include the freight to ship your trans to them, and the shipping back. Nor does it cover the install of said transmission. Also Levels told me they would need about a week lead time to complete the upgrade. So factor in a week without your car if that matters.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I am assuming after my tune I will not have a warranty on my transmission and I am ok with that. Curious to see how some of the higher HP ST's hold up over time.

Reactions
Coming from a Fusion Sport with over 500whp and notoriously terrible PTU, I only blew my transmission up when trying to do an awd burnout in reverse lol. Survived hundreds of launches before that though. I think as long as you don't do anything too dumb nothing should break.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Good to know. I pulled the 6L90E out of my CTSV for a refresh at 30K miles with two summers of road racing. The clutches were about 20 miles from looking like steel plates :) Other than that it was in great shape pushing 700HP at the wheels.

If I knew I had some reasonable upgrades I would be happy to pull it and have it beefed up to avoid anything down the road as I plan on pushing the HP. Wish there was more history on what hard parts break in the 10R60.

Reactions
Interesting thread. Have we heard of anyone tuning their ST to the point they hit the limits of the 10R60 and it fails? I know Ford considers this the light duty version, so curious. I'd have to think these few that are pushing the limits will find out soon.
The SHO guys hit the limits of the 6R55 in the SHO but they had no other options. So those high tuned had to be easy on the trans.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
what is the bronco raptor getting? it will be the same motor as the ST so parts may be easier to get in years to come.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Have any tuners ever tuned a 10r80 swapped into an ST? Thanks
I could be mistaken, but i believe the 3.3 hybrid models in the US would have the 10r80 trans right? I'm still waiting on my Explorer to arrive, will have had about 5,5 months delay when it comes early july. But as a dutchie, the only model we get is the ST PHEV, and as far as i've been able to figure out that also should have the 10r80 already in it, you could check with the Lincoln Aviator PHEV specs, it should be the same. And even that tranny worries me that it'll break if i'd tune the car in a nice way. (Stock ST PHEV has 825nm torque ~610 lbft, tune alone increases it to 980nm ~ 723lbft.) But the added weight of the battery probably won't do much good for the tranny

ghostfranklin

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
@TMac @DetroitST yea I've held off for now. Shifts are very "hard" in sport mode, reminds me of really banging the gears in a stick but then again I'm not riding around in sport mode 24/7. We'll see what happens. As far as warranty I think I'd be shit outta luck with the mods I've done.

Reactions
I've only ever used my ST in sport mode, I drive with a lead foot. Nothing broken yet, just the dreams of every 392 I crush.

ghostfranklin

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
@DetroitST :ROFLMAO: I wonder if you'd be able to get a hellcat I'm sure it would be close. Still trying to get that redeye and zl1 1le out to see how I do.

Reactions
I think 0-60/70 I'd be right next to a Hellcat. After that it will pull away from me for sure. Basic aerodynamics at play. Assuming they can launch properly. Most guys I race spin like it's their first race. It's nice to be able to stomp the gas and go no matter what.

ghostfranklin

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Same thing happened to me, except I was able to hang until around 120/130 after that they start pulling. The ST crushes them from a roll or a launch, I immediately leap out like 3-4 cars ahead then around 80 it gets tighter

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
I just discovered that the PIU comes with the 10R80 in both the 3.3 and the 3.0. still trying to verify transfer case and drive lives and such. Pretty stoked to make this discovery! Should simplify the swap.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I've only ever used my ST in sport mode, I drive with a lead foot. Nothing broken yet, just the dreams of every 392 I crush.
The ST has drive modes other than Sport?;)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
@TMac @DetroitST yea I've held off for now. Shifts are very "hard" in sport mode, reminds me of really banging the gears in a stick but then again I'm not riding around in sport mode 24/7. We'll see what happens. As far as warranty I think I'd be shit outta luck with the mods I've done.
My shift from 4th to 5th is a "hard" shift like you're describing, but only in sport mode, and usually only this gear change. Are you experiencing something similar? or are tunes helping with this issue? Completely stock still, but going to be doing upgrades/tuning in the future.

ghostfranklin

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
@bstkoehler21 for me its all the way up thru 5th or 6th. The first 4 shifts are "hard" i know the shift points are adjusted in the tune it flys through the gears. I think the tune helps it shift faster and more efficiently but not necessarily "softly" that and I probably making close to double the power from the factory

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer ST
@DetroitST group buy starts with 3 ppl all trans must be sent in at the same time and they shave off 10% of the $5,998.00 price, trans would be rated for 1000hp. If we get 10 ppl they knock off 15% each order. I called and spoke with Karen.
Im in

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Since this has been brought back from the dead…
The 10R80 cannot be swapped into the ST…at least right now. It’s been tried and there’s too many hurdles with electronics for a path forward.

ghostfranklin

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
@UNBROKEN RSA in Boyton Beach FL has a built 10R60 already installed in several ExSt, I'm going that route in the near future