Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

10r80 swap

GORDO

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22’ ST
Have any tuners ever tuned a 10r80 swapped into an ST? Thanks

Reactions
I'm probably over simplifying it, but I don't think it would be too hard. If you can get your hands on all the stock tables from a Lincoln, you could build off of that.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The real question is who’s swapped in a 10R80?

OP
G

GORDO

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22’ ST
Thread Starter #4
The real question is who’s swapped in a 10R80?
Hopefully me when my ST is delivered haha.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hopefully me when my ST is delivered haha.
Why would you even wish to do this? If you're worried about torque load, you could have Level 10 rebuild your stock unit (should it fail) for probably about the same money to buy a 10r80. Not to mention any possible electronics issues you might encounter with the swap.

OP
G

GORDO

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22’ ST
Thread Starter #6
Why would you even wish to do this? If you're worried about torque load, you could have Level 10 rebuild your stock unit (should it fail) for probably about the same money to buy a 10r80. Not to mention any possible electronics issues you might encounter with the swap.
Will the built 10r60 handle the same Tq as a built 10r80? I’m new to the ford transmissions. Hard parts are cheap, I have access to a wrecked 3.0 police interceptor. Appreciate the response.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Will the built 10r60 handle the same Tq as a built 10r80? I’m new to the ford transmissions. Hard parts are cheap, I have access to a wrecked 3.0 police interceptor. Appreciate the response.
Does the PIU even have a 10r80? I don't know. But until your car arrives, you modify it, and you destroy the trans, and you did a LOT more research, You shouldn't be thinking of a swap!

F=MA

Reactions
What does a Level 10 upgrade to the OEM tranny cost? I only brake torque when doing runs for Adam's tuning otherwise I prefer to roll and go and subject the drivetrain to less shock. Hell my Dragy is still sitting unused in the box.

OP
G

GORDO

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22’ ST
Thread Starter #9
Does the PIU even have a 10r80? I don't know. But until your car arrives, you modify it, and you destroy the trans, and you did a LOT more research, You shouldn't be thinking of a swap!
The hard parts are no biggy, they will all swap. The TCM and driveshaft are the same part number. Transfer case and rear end is different of course due to gear ratios. I understand what you’re saying, but I want to test the limits of the block and rotating assembly lol not so much a tranny that has issues at stock power.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
They (Level 10) advertises a "bulletproof" rebuild for the Bronco for about $5k. I had them a trans for me in the early 2000s which worked well, but if you do enough research, you'll get very different opinions on their rebuilds.

OP
G

GORDO

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22’ ST
Thread Starter #11
They (Level 10) advertises a "bulletproof" rebuild for the Bronco for about $5k. I had them a trans for me in the early 2000s which worked well, but if you do enough research, you'll get very different opinions on their rebuilds.
The early 2000’s what a horrible times for trannys, I was literally having the clutches and band changed in my 4l60 more frequently than the oil, till I swapped to a 400.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The Level 10 will take anything that an ST can currently throw at it.

OP
G

GORDO

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22’ ST
Thread Starter #13
The Level 10 will take anything that an ST can currently throw at it.
I’ve seen a few build that used them, I was just thinking about starting with a stronger transmission to begin with. I’m sure as always I’m overthinking it and going over kill. I do appreciate all of y’all’s input, seem like a great group of people.

Reactions
Isn't there currently a high 10 sec ST with over 600whp with a level 10 tranny?

Reactions
Aftermarket support for the 10r80 is WAY better! There's 7 second mustangs running it. It really is the transmission that should have come stock, since they put it in the Aviator, so the development is done.

Reactions
Would need to see what levels says and what the discount would be to make me pull the trigger before a failure. But it's happening at some point so yes.

ghostfranklin

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
@DetroitST group buy starts with 3 ppl all trans must be sent in at the same time and they shave off 10% of the $5,998.00 price, trans would be rated for 1000hp. If we get 10 ppl they knock off 15% each order. I called and spoke with Karen.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Reasonable discount IMO. Think I’d have to grab a spare to save downtime. I would consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Explorer ST Posts