Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG with ZFGR RTD3 w/4 Credits and 93 Tune

Superloud

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Got new 2023 Explorer ST.
Was going with ZFG after researching for awhile.

So if I get what's shown... I get the Performance Tune as goal.... 93 octane....

Screenshot_20230507_001340_Chrome.jpg

What can I do with the 4 Credits later on?
(Update: found answer "Each tuning package will come with the correct number of credits for the year and model specified in the package.")

Back story. Got my wife the 2021 Durango SRT.
82k at the time, but got for 77k. Fully loaded.
It was stolen in Atlanta on the way back from Disney, headed back to Michigan, while we slept in hotel.... yes, could have prevented with measures (could have made it so they have to load on flatbed)
Total loss through insurance... handled.

Fast forward 34 days, Got wife the Explorer ST.
Adding my own remote kill switch, and a manual kill switch in vehicle. It would take them a very long time to figure out where they are.
It was that or get Ravelco.

So she liked the pep of the SRT, and the simple double push of the SRT Button to put into sport mode.

I told her she can get more pep if we add a Tune.
Only add on is high flow K&N Air Filter.

Personally I would think with today's technology that the Tune could be tied to Sport mode only...
With no mods in other drive modes like Normal or Econ.

Regardless, it's her daily driver. Even though it's her daily driver... We only put about 15k per year on her vehicle. She still wants all the Performance she can safely get with only a Tune.

Keep in mind we trade her vehicle every 2 years.
So would put back to stock.
And keep my device.
Will I be able to use that device on next vehicle?
I know it depends and no promises. Just wondering about life and use expectancy.

Last edited:
Reactions
Yes you could use the device on your next vehicle, it would just take more credits to unlock that vehicle.

The tune applies to all drive modes, but with the zfg tune you really don't know it's tuned until you press the gas all the way to the floor (aside from it shifts better than stock).

Reactions
If she thought the SRT was fast, wait till she smashes on the pedal with the tune.

Best part of it, you still keep the same MPG, if you're off the throttle of course lol

OP
S

Superloud

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the insights... very helpful info.
I will for sure be ordering the performance tune instead of the daily driver.

I did update my first post question because I found the answer on the website regarding included credits with purchase of tuning device, imagine that lol
"Each tuning package will come with the correct number of credits for the year and model specified in the package."

OP
S

Superloud

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Some guidance if possible, with goal selection:
Daily Driver or Performance with 93 fuel?

About to purchase ZFGR RTD3 with 4 credits device and Custom Tune.

I know the process of setting up device, getting stock file and sending it in with tune request.

My wife's daily driver is now the 2023 Explorer ST. (Previous vehicle was 2021 Dodge Durango SRT)

I am wondering what goal I should use :the Daily Driver or Performance with 93 tune.
She wants it somewhat comparable to the SRT.

How vehicle is used:
Right now in Explorer ST she drives around town in Sport Mode, but Normal or Econ when on highway.
We will NOT be towing anything.
We drive from Michigan home, to Florida or Arizona twice a year. We drive there and back.
Driving there (or back) is a multiple day trip. We don't do a drive all the way there in one swoop.
Something like 4 days. Things planned along route with hotel stays.
We use 93 octane. However some states we pass through they only have 91. So along the route, we will have to use 91 octane sometimes. So it will be a 91 and 93 mix sometimes. I could always research what places will carry 93 along route... and only go there.

The only add on is a high flow drop in K&N air filter. No future addons.

Main uses for tune are.... getting on highway from rest areas, passing slow drivers. Preventing road trolls from getting the best of us when passing. In town some people are salty, and when you go to pass them, they accelerate so you can't. Always destroyed them in the SRT in sport mode.

So as of now, I will be requesting performace as a goal. She is thirsty for power, but not trying to hit the race strip. Unless that goal (performance) will severely hamper gas mileage when doing long travels in Econ Drive mode. That is the goal I am set on.

PS: I did read this and other threads... and realize this may be beating a dead horse...
Dead_Gorse.0.jpg

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/auto-octane-and-how-to-choose-whats-right-for-you.4495/

ZFGracing quote: "Daily driver goal is slightly less power, and overall less aggressive."
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/zfg-daily-driver-vs-performance-tune.5314/post-70006

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve got their performance 93 tune and it is a joy to daily imo. Even better if you want to romp on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Just get a 93 performance tune and call it a day.

If you were to ever add 91 octane, it'll dial down so no big damage will be done. So no big worries if its mixed with 91 at times.

Regardless, a 91 or 93 performance tune, it'll show an SRT Durango tail lights all day. I still recommend to add a whipple intercooler one day, then it will really show an SRT tail lights all day and night 24/7 lol

Far as the differences between Sport and Normal mode, its mainly throttle response, ex. If you are 50% on the throttle in Normal, it would be like 70% in Sport in the same foot position so it "feels" faster, it also holds gears longer and usually downshifts to a lower gear faster. If you go WOT on either mode from a stop, don't think Sport would really have an advantage vs Normal mode in a straight line.

Last edited:
OP
S

Superloud

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.... reading up.

Screenshot_20230511_105550_Word.jpg