Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG DMS

STdriver

Reactions
Hi all -
Anyone have any experience with the ZFG DMS tune? I see the one chart on the ZFG page showing the HP and torque changes and assuming that is race. How are the other tunes? Stock+ just a little peppier, or how much? Econ gain any fuel economy? Many thanks!

Reactions
I mean its pretty self explanatory...

It's no different than the previous tune(s) power wise. The difference is that now you can set a tune for each drive mode instead of adding/removing the tune's. It'll make the same power in 93 on a performance tune as it did before, race tune, DD tune, E50, etc.

Nice for those that tow, no longer need to remove the tune, just set it to tow mode.

Bosh

Reactions
Vehicle
2002 Ford Mustang
I hadn't heard about the DMS tune! I think I will finally be going for the ZFG tune because I need the ability to tow large loads and never wanted to take the risk of a tune not playing nice with my trailers. This is awesome!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I have the DMS tune and think it’s great! In Sport mode, which is set to Race, I knocked off over a second on my 0-60 time! Then switch right over to Eco (Daily Driver) for the ride home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawdog205

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Is the daily driver mode spunkier than the factory eco setting? How is your gas mileage in daily driver mode? Just curious… Thanks

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I just installed the 1st rev of this tune myself, so more data logging to do. Based on the dyno charts I've seen, daily driver should have a noticeable power increase over stock. That said, I imagine most people getting this are setting DD on a lesser-used mode that may impose other detuning effects. I have mine set with the performance tune in normal drive mode. If I don't get in the throttle, it feels very similar to the stock experience (the Mrs didnt even notice a difference). But when I put my foot in it, it really wakes up. Going in, I wasn't sure I wanted performance as the default, but I have zero regrets.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Now with intercooler installed, this is the way I'm going to go.

Reactions
Vehicle
Is the daily driver mode spunkier than the factory eco setting? How is your gas mileage in daily driver mode? Just curious… Thanks
I would say yes. I’m averaging 17.8 MPG and my driving profile is “spirited”.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I just installed the 1st rev of this tune myself, so more data logging to do. Based on the dyno charts I've seen, daily driver should have a noticeable power increase over stock. That said, I imagine most people getting this are setting DD on a lesser-used mode that may impose other detuning effects. I have mine set with the performance tune in normal drive mode. If I don't get in the throttle, it feels very similar to the stock experience (the Mrs didnt even notice a difference). But when I put my foot in it, it really wakes up. Going in, I wasn't sure I wanted performance as the default, but I have zero regrets.
how is the race compared to performance?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Here is my setup and recorded mode data @ WOT in 3rd gear for my DMS tunes. Your mode selections are likely different, but it gives you real data on these measured parameters. See attached

Attachments

Reactions
I’ve seen some folks do stock + on Eco, DD on normal and race on sport. This may be what I go with if I ever get around to a tune.

Lawdog205

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Forzda3. Can you explain why you have performance in multiple of the selections? Your thoughts behind that please.
Tow I understand .. but why the bump in power on the slippery and snow etc? Have you tried them in those conditions yet with the bump in power? I hadnt thought of more power in those settings..

any insight is appreciated.. Thanks

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Forzda3. Can you explain why you have performance in multiple of the selections? Your thoughts behind that please.
Tow I understand .. but why the bump in power on the slippery and snow etc? Have you tried them in those conditions yet with the bump in power? I hadnt thought of more power in those settings..

any insight is appreciated.. Thanks
Yep, my wife drives the car with the grandkids and never changes modes out of normal, so stock+. Slippery is also stock+ because that’s the only mode she would ever select while driving it. The other drive modes are really nothing burgers as the main difference other than in Sport mode is the throttle response. I have all the pedal-throttle tables set linear. I usually drive it in eco (Performance) mode for the extra power. Sport is for serious max performance fun only.

Last edited:

Lawdog205

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Looking at the general numbers. If you put DD on Tow, wouldnt that help with the towing capabilities given its about 50 more HP? Anyone towing now feel inadequate with the 330-340?
Really appreciate the info here..!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Looking at the general numbers. If you put DD on Tow, wouldnt that help with the towing capabilities given its about 50 more HP? Anyone towing now feel inadequate with the 330-340?
Really appreciate the info here..!
There is no option for tow except tow. As I understand it, there is specific management in that mode to prevent disastrous outcomes under rated loads. There are plenty other options to place other settings anyway.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
how is the race compared to performance?
There is a noticeable change in handling when I dial from Normal to Sport. I'm not sure how much can be attributed to engine vs transmission. The dynos I've seen don't show a dramatic HP increase from performance to race. In sport, the shifts are very firm. Also, I never noticed the tires bark with the stock tune, but very easy to make it happen now taking off in sport mode.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
There is a noticeable change in handling when I dial from Normal to Sport. I'm not sure how much can be attributed to engine vs transmission. The dynos I've seen don't show a dramatic HP increase from performance to race. In sport, the shifts are very firm. Also, I never noticed the tires bark with the stock tune, but very easy to make it happen now taking off in sport mode.
Hot damn that sounds pretty awesome. Performance does sound like as much as I'm willing to put my early 2020 build through, though

De_Stiller1948

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Can the tune selections be changed after the DMS tunes are loaded in vehicle? Friend has the tunes in a used 21 ST and wants to swap selection spots. I said no but thought I would ask on forum to be sure.

Reactions
Vehicle
Can the tune selections be changed after the DMS tunes are loaded in vehicle? Friend has the tunes in a used 21 ST and wants to swap selection spots. I said no but thought I would ask on forum to be sure.
He would have to submit a new request on the TDN specifying the changes and Adam can swap them.