Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Would anyone be interested in a group buy from Palm Beach Dyno?

Blackssr

Reactions
The title says it all. I've been at their facility twice in the last 3 weeks and they seem like a intelligent great group of guys. I am still on the fence about doing my own tune due to my concerns over avoiding a warranty on a vehicle with less than a thousand miles on it. However I would be more than happy to be the liaison if we can possibly present a group buy to Palm Beach Dyno. If enough of us get together we could probably buy the files for around 250 and pass around the tuner required to download to the vehicle. A win-win for all forom members and easy money for Palm Beach Dyno. The facility is less than 15 minutes from my Boca Raton home. All comments and ideas are welcome.

LokiWolf

Reactions
The title says it all. I've been at their facility twice in the last 3 weeks and they seem like a intelligent great group of guys. I am still on the fence about doing my own tune due to my concerns over avoiding a warranty on a vehicle with less than a thousand miles on it. However I would be more than happy to be the liaison if we can possibly present a group buy to Palm Beach Dyno. If enough of us get together we could probably buy the files for around 250 and pass around the tuner required to download to the vehicle. A win-win for all forom members and easy money for Palm Beach Dyno. The facility is less than 15 minutes from my Boca Raton home. All comments and ideas are welcome.
What tuner are you going to Pass around?

SCT Tuners are married to one vehicle at a time. NGuage, MPVI2, RTD(HP Tuners)need credits per vehicle. And you would need the device to return to Stock. Sharing is not really doable with any modern tuning device unless you live next door to each other.

I tune both my ST and My Expedition with one MPVI2 and I am about to start tuning my neighbors Ranger. Not really doable if you have to mail it...

As far as Tunes go PBD is good.

General consensus on quality of of Tunes for the ST is this Order:

ZFG
PBD
5 Star(Early Shifting issues, but some say that is resolved)
LMS(Very Conservative)

There are others.

ZFG and PBD in my opinion are a leap above any others. I obviously favor ZFG because Adam has now tuned my 5th EcoBoost. Results speak for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #3

SCT Tuners are married to one vehicle at a time. NGuage, MPVI2, RTD(HP Tuners)need credits per vehicle. And you would need the device to return to Stock. Sharing is not really doable with any modern tuning device unless you live next door to each other.

I tune both my ST and My Expedition with one MPVI2 and I am about to start tuning my neighbors Ranger. Not really doable if you have to mail it...

ZFG
PBD
LMS(Very Conservative)

There are others.

ZFG and PBD in my opinion are a leap above any others. I obviously favor ZFG because Adam has now tuned my 5th EcoBoost. Results speak for themselves.

I was told by Palm Beach dyno that the unit can be reset and resold. Perhaps I misunderstood him for that I apologize. I would load the tune and never use that device again. I mentioned that to him and he said it can be reset and resold. That's all I know far from an expert.

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #4

ZFG
PBD
LMS(Very Conservative)

There are others.

What is your take on the potential problems with warranty down the road? My 2021 St has just about a thousand miles on it and my biggest concern would be warranty issues being voided because they found out I did a tune. You seem to be very knowledgeable about it what is your personal take on it?

LokiWolf

Reactions
I was told by Palm Beach dyno that the unit can be reset and resold. Perhaps I misunderstood him for that I apologize. I would load the tune and never use that device again. I mentioned that to him and he said it can be reset and resold. That's all I know far from an expert.
You will need the device to return to Stock, or to change tunes if you need a revision for one reason or not. It just isn't feasible and a good idea. Yes, if you sell the vehicle, and return to stock and don't want to use the device on another vehicle you could sell it. What hardware/brand were they going to sell you? Most of the time they use HPTuner and NGauge devices. NGauge's are in the process of being phased out based on what I have heard.

LokiWolf

Reactions
What is your take on the potential problems with warranty down the road? My 2021 St has just about a thousand miles on it and my biggest concern would be warranty issues being voided because they found out I did a tune. You seem to be very knowledgeable about it what is your personal take on it?
I have been tuned by ZFG since about 700 miles. I have about 7K miles(COVID has greatly decreased my average miles), and at the beginning of this past December had my Transmission rebuilt under warranty. Hard for them to blame the Trans on the Tune, when completely stock ST's are having well documented transmission issues. I have always tuned my vehicles, and have never had anything denied. Talk to your dealer and see what their take on tuning is. Some hunt for it and some are mod friendly. Ultimately if you tune, you are risking warranty issues...It is always a possibility.

RRAPTRR

Reactions
Looks like PBD only offers the canned 93-octane tune... what about 91?

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
Group buy to include the tuning device too?

IM A NYR 3

Reactions
I posted this in a separate thread, but got no replies, Can you guys help? I Don't live in FL.

How is the dyno done on the ST? By this I mean usually a dyno is done in the 1:1 gear, so which gear is that on the ST?

Also, Is it done in Manual mode? Will it shift even in manual mode? And I assume you have to be in sport driving mode also.

Please forgive my ignorance, I've only done my manual geared Mustangs on a Dyno. I have a AWD Dyno in town, but they are a Subaru shop and may not know how to set the ST the proper way..